How Has The Internet Changed Your Outlook On Life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hello people.:)

How if in any way at all has the Internet changed your outlook on the world around you? The very first thing that it did to my outlook, was a huge wake up call with respect to just how gruesome and malevolent people can be. (Terrorist beheading videos for example.) It also made me realize that there is just as much good also.

Some things I've experienced gave me a more paranoid outlook as well. The world has so many heartless people out there. I've always known that. It was just the true amount that staggered me.

It's astounding how many rip off artists there truly are out there. I believe strongly that the Internet has made many, many criminals very happy. It makes their job much easier. I once had a pop up with all the flashing lights and bells telling me that I just won a free PS3. C'mon! That's just an insult.

Overall, it has been a huge reality check for the good and bad we as humans are capable of. You?

God Bless.
LK

The internet has desensitised me to a lot of things.

I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

khaoz_ferox said:
The internet has desensitised me to a lot of things.

I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.
Hey khaoz_ferox.:)
By desensitised do you mean it has hardened you in a negative way? Made you bitter?

It hasn't really changed my outlook on life, but the internet has given me KNOWLEDGE.
I've learned so much more about the world than I ever could have without the internet.
There are pros and cons, but I'll continue to deal with the cons in order to continue gaining more knowledge.
The tradeoff is well worth it.

Growing up as a big fan of extreme horror movies I was intrigued by what films were out there that I'd never heard of. Of course that led to many extreme horror forums which in turn led to real-life gore and such. I was what, 23-24 around then so naturally I was curious. It got to the point where nothing phased me any more.

Only thing I can't handle is cruelty to animals. That pisses me off.

The Internet has made me think about how many of us have developed this need to be heard, read or seen. And how many of us are ready, waiting and willing to comment on whatever has been written, said or shown by someone else, thus fulfilling our own need to be heard, read or seen for that moment. And so the loop proceeds.
And home shopping.

I suppose that on the upside it opened up channels for me to find good communities, like this one, where I felt welcomed and could communicate with people struggling with similar issues to my own.

Also, buying honeysuckle is a whole lot easier these days :D

khaoz_ferox said:
Growing up as a big fan of extreme horror movies I was intrigued by what films were out there that I'd never heard of. Of course that led to many extreme horror forums which in turn led to real-life gore and such. I was what, 23-24 around then so naturally I was curious. It got to the point where nothing phased me any more.

Only thing I can't handle is cruelty to animals. That pisses me off.
I'm with you on that one. I can't handle animal cruelty either. That's why I'd like to stick Luka Magnotta in a cage with a hungry bear!

Well, I got married to someone from it, so I guess it altered my outlook on relationships and cute looking girls from upstate NY. I don't know if it's altered much of anything else, because I've been on it for 23 years.

user 130057 said:
Well, I got married to someone from it, so I guess it altered my outlook on relationships and cute looking girls from upstate NY. I don't know if it's altered much of anything else, because I've been on it for 23 years.
23 years? Wow. I've been missing out. My first online experience was around 6 years ago.

LoneKiller said:
user 130057 said:
23 years? Wow. I've been missing out. My first online experience was around 6 years ago.

I first went online when I started at an information technology college in 1990 and I've been online ever since. It was a much less user-friendly and mostly text-based experience back then and you'd wait minutes if you wanted to download even a single photo...

Having said that, it was a much nicer place too. There were still trolls and perverts, but they were massively outnumbered by everyone else. Ah, the bad/good old days ;)

Alienated said:
It's totally changed my life in good and bad ways... The good is I am able to learn without have to go to school, and be around people.

And the bad.... I have seen things I will never be able to forget.
Not that it's any of my business. But when you say that you aren't able to forget some things, do you mean like shock sites and stuff?

Alienated said:
Many things, news, sex sites, celebrity and politicians behaviors, even just stuff made up. It's show me just how twisted the human mind has become, and the horrors it can produce
Very true.

I have for the most part viewed the internet as a tool, and have treated it as such. I put it to work for me, I have familiarized myself with the risks, and try to operate it in a safe and responsible way. :) However unlike most tools, there is not a handy little manual included that you can read to help you get the most out of it safely. ;) I am sure there are books out there on the subject, but so far I have done ok just winging it.

It has enabled me to live in a secluded place, away from all the destructive behaviors that I despise that exist in a much higher concentration within cities. There is less, light, noise, and air pollution. Less violence. And virtually no stress. There is a much higher level of freedom which I cherish dearly that simply does not exist within city limits. And because of the internet I can live in such a peaceful place, while also being able to connect with others, attempt to positively affect their lives in what ever way I can, and manage to have a lot of fun through the whole process. :)

Latest posts

Back