How Important is Sex in a Relationship?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The type of relationship effects the weight that sex holds. The level of "seriousness" that both individuals place on the relationship is an important factor in how sex is perceived. In a casual relationship sex will be fun and enjoyable, but it is mostly a physical experience without intense emotional connections. As a result, it becomes more of a pleasurable past time, with the consenting individuals focusing more on themselves (*in some cases, mostly because of sexaul submissive preference, on the other person).

In a more serious relationship, such as a marriage, the use of sex is more than a past time, it is a tool. A portal that one can use to (no pun intended) step inside one another into a seemingly unprohibited dimension. It is an intense emotional, physical, and psychological experience. Your partner nor yourself can hide anything at that moment. You lay bare before them in every part of your being. In this, it becomes more about the us, rather than the me or you. Once you've reached this, it's like Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.

In short, this is my take.

I am sure all of you know how I feel about sex. I want it, I need it, I have it. I have had sex more times with more people than you probably think. And ive done some really really strange things...

Here is something that will probably blow your minds....

When I met my husband I nearly fell in love with him immediatly. IMMEDIATLY. He was a virgin. Yes, a 27 year old virgin. He would NOT have sex before marriage. I kind of felt like a dirty old man with him sometimes. :( NO SEX UNTIL MARRIAGE

you know what I did ?

I didnt have sex FOR 6 MONTHS.

NO ONE

Then we were married <3 And now we have sex everyday <3

So, I guess what I am saying is.... "Ill wait a lifetime for it for the right person"

Its Important to me. Love wouldn't feel complete without sex. It is a possibility for me to care for someone more mentally then physically.
But I think true love is excepting every thing about them every perverted thought and carnal desire. Sexual frustration can make you irrational.This reminds me of an article I read in a magazine while I was waiting to get my hair cut about a middle aged married woman whos husband was in the military he was out of the country. I guess women hit there sexual peak around there 40s because she was frustrated she started dressing up and wearing makeup hoping to get the attention of her male students.

Hmm ok well I wasnt able to read through all the posts because im busy w something but wanted to throw in 2 cents:

Sex is very important to a relationship as it is a direct connection to intimacy. If sex is just mechanical and you dont connect to your partner then that is something different. This is the short version.. but sex is very important.. its the physical bond only the two of you share and it is something special. There are times when it is put on hold but you just have to be there for each other is all.

I'm living proof that you can live without sex but I mean in a relationship context: if you're not *******, you're just friends. And hey, friends are great! But it would be a very destructive kind of friendship where one person demands celibacy from the other just because they don't like it. However, I can't conceive of any possible relationship forming where this would be the case. Like, if you're not into ******* in the first place, why would you get sexually possessive over somebody? You see what I'm trying to say?

more important at the start of a relationship i think.
people get to hung up if sex starts to get less frequent as the relationship develops. they will often go to great lenghts to "spice up" the relationship when if they bothered to talk to each other they would find that neither of them were that bothered about it.
i could live quite happily in a relationship without sex,,i couldnt live in one without love or affection.

To be honest with everyone, sex isn't very high on the list of importance in a relationship to me.

I think it depends on the person you're with. If you want to have sex with them and they want to have sex with you, there you go, you're
banging. But, if your partner wants to wait and you don't, I think there would be
a problem. Soooooo it depends.

i'm always reminded of the futurama episode when the love-bot is invented.. lol

when nature cooks up a smackburst of hormones, all the pretty faces are up in neon and it's hard to ignore. sure, why not sit on a beanbag eating chocolate covered apple strudel whilst something pleasant happens to your lower half, forever..

then you grow up and see those same faces as potential store houses for fresh organs when yours begin to fail ;] (thanks dylan)

i like the poster in the franz ferdinand 'this fire' music video. something about keeping us locked down in the primitive brain centres hyped on desire so we can never transcend.

can i get a self-shagging hallelujah!

:p

Hi-
Sex is important to me in a committed relationship. Whether it's for bonding or simply for its own sake, either way you slice it, it's important to me. If I were dating someone who didn't want sex, that would be a deal breaker.

Teresa

It's very important to me. I can go a long time without sex when i am not in a relationship, but once I am in one, I need it to feel close to my partner.

^^^Same here.

It's been a while for me now that I'm single and focusing on school...

...but when I'm dating a girl, it's gotta be like EVERY DAY cuz I'm just that freakin' crazy about sex.

lol

I have a higher sex drive than most girls :s
however, I wait to have sex with whoever until I love them. And that takes awhile.

I usaully do everything else with that person before actual sex.

Sex? what's sex? Relationship? That some special kind of ships?

I don't know... if I happen to be in a such relationship in my lifetime, it'll be easier to say. However, if I am to be in one, I'd most certainly want to have sex once and then possibly again and again.. but can't tell really. It's not as if that's the only purpose, or the main thing, but can't imagine a romantic relationship without it. No rushing either...

Latest posts

Back