How long do we have?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do the lights go out?

• 50 years

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 100 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200 years

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Longer/Never

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Caribou

Reaction score
"We" meaning human beings? 50 years maybe? 100? Infinite? I believe radiation is the one pollution that can truly make us extinct. I know its a little cliche but I think it can end us in a way that no other thing out there can.

well it's not infinite, the sun is going to run out of hydrogen eventually and then everything's going bye bye.
thats in year 250 billion though ppl so do skipp to that calender yet :3
i'd say on the rate the human race is messing things up, another 300-500 years.
or 100 if war kills us. but i'd focus on living with the time you have then on how were gunna die lol

I dunno...my HS gf died when she was only 17..that how longs she had.

My twins died 6 months into the pregnantcy..they never saw day light. I saw them pitcures of them in the womb.

Jenni died last year, she was only 34.

Nothing really matters to them...I imagine.

I'm still alive beucase I'm a bad ass son of a *****.
Only the good dy young.

I am very sorry to hear about that Lonesome. You definitely sound like a tough son of a ***** though. Keep on rocking, man!

Lonesome Crow said:

My twins died 6 months into the pregnantcy..they never saw day light. I saw them pitcures of them in the womb.

Only the good dy young.

I'm sorry. I haven't lost a child, but I lost my best friend in '02 when he was only 33.

The question though is how long do humans have as a whole. According to the "prediction" that everyone is currently paying the most attention to it's 3 years. 2012

My question is - do I bother to make out a will?

Over the years I have been informed, on several occasions, by a few individuals (usually those with some tie to the military) that there is work being done on at least one and possibly as many as ten self contained underground cities designed for thousands. The one I have heard the most about resides somewhere in Colorado inside a mountain. Supposedly some of our brightest and best have us preparing right now for the worst. The strange thing is I have yet to find any online information regarding them what so ever.

I find it unlikely we will last more then 200 years. And perhaps much much less. It's really rather frightening really. I have looked at this topic a fair bit and here are just some of the huge problems we face:

Amphibians are all going extinct at a rapid pace. Probably no more fogies in our lifetimes due to nasty nasty pollution.

Bees are dieing out. 1/3 to 1/4th of the food supply will simply be gone because of nasty pollution and/or from messing with the genetics of plants.

The whole animal kingdom is under threat by more then just loss of habitat. Nasty nasty pollution.

Global warming. Nasty nasty pollution.

There are predictions that in just a few decades nearly 100% of all people will suffer from a cancer at least once in their lives. Nasty nasty pollution, poor diets, food made in a lab, genetic manipulation of food when we don't even know the real consequences.

Epidemics of illnesses such as obesity, diabetes, depression, and many others are taking place right now. Nasty nasty pollution, poor diets, food made in a lab, genetic manipulation of food when we don't even know the real consequences.

New age pollution such as endocrine disruptors and hormone mimics are literally driving us stupid, mad, and causing other illnesses. Nasty nasty pollution.

New age WMD's have the potential to destroy us practically overnight. Diseases and radioactive bombs.

We are messing with our own food supply and reducing its genetic diversity making it less resistant to disease. Ignorance is like a monkey hitting a nuke with a hammer.

Population is growing exponentially. We aren't doing diddly to stop it.

We could create some new mechanical wonder that does something unexpected and just wipes us out. Ignorance is like a monkey hitting a nuke with a hammer.

Over reliance on machines is causing the very real possibility that machines could gain the ability to have desires or programming to want to control us. Lazy us.

The root of which is greed by a few wanting however much they can take at the expense of everyone else. Refusal to acknowledge our own Ignorance. And a lack of patience to do the right things for the right reasons.

Skorian said:
Over the years I have been informed, on several occasions, by a few individuals (usually those with some tie to the military) that there is work being done on at least one and possibly as many as ten self contained underground cities designed for thousands. The one I have heard the most about resides somewhere in Colorado inside a mountain. Supposedly some of our brightest and best have us preparing right now for the worst. The strange thing is I have yet to find any online information regarding them what so ever.

Look under urban myths. I've been hearing those stories since I was in kindergarten. I think they got started in the early days of The Cold War. It's almost always in a mountain in New Mexico or Colorado. Some say it's inside Mt Rushmore. Many Sci-Fi movies have used this as part of their plots. (Like Star Gate.) Usually they are designed for the country's or world's most "desirable" people so they can survive a major disaster and repopulate the Earth with their "superior" DNA.

"Population is growing exponentially. We aren't doing diddly to stop it."

This is an interesting point. I do agree with you. I just don't know what can be done to stop it short of selectively sterilizing groups of infants at birth.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if something major doesn't happen within the next 100 years - like a a new world war for example. It could probably happen alot sooner than that too, if we're unlucky.

Our survival instinct could probably keep us alive for a long time, even after a global catastrophe. We'd have to adapt ALOT though, whice we're not all that good at. :p

In the end, I think it's just a matter of time. We can't keep on living like this forever. Unless we gain the knowledge how to travel further (faster) in space and how to populate other planets... we're screwed. ;)

LonelyDragon said:
Skorian said:

Look under urban myths. I've been hearing those stories since I was in kindergarten. I think they got started in the early days of The Cold War. It's almost always in a mountain in New Mexico or Colorado. Some say it's inside Mt Rushmore. Many Sci-Fi movies have used this as part of their plots. (Like Star Gate.) Usually they are designed for the country's or world's most "desirable" people so they can survive a major disaster and repopulate the Earth with their "superior" DNA.

Ah, but a couple people I have talked to claimed it was a military installation and that they had been there. They had even described it. Colorado has a town or two that are entirely military bases. As I understand it at least.

Also there are all kinds of BS things online, so why then can’t you find any information that I have seen about these bases? And as I understand it, if there is more then one, it’s across the globe. Several countries are supposedly doing it.

"Population is growing exponentially. We aren't doing diddly to stop it."

This is an interesting point. I do agree with you. I just don't know what can be done to stop it short of selectively sterilizing groups of infants at birth.

Ya, I don't know. Pass laws that people are only legally allowed to have one child and after that they pay huge fines. About the only thing I know anyone could do. Seems crazy to threaten people with jail for having kids, but what is more crazy then everyone starving because we didn't try to manage it? Though there is one interesting thing going on. Supposidly fertility rates across the globe are plummeting. It's possible someone is already secretly intentionally chemically neutering us all.

Terminus said:
To be honest, I would be very surprised if something major doesn't happen within the next 100 years - like a a new world war for example. It could probably happen alot sooner than that too, if we're unlucky.

Our survival instinct could probably keep us alive for a long time, even after a global catastrophe. We'd have to adapt ALOT though, whice we're not all that good at. :p

In the end, I think it's just a matter of time. We can't keep on living like this forever. Unless we gain the knowledge how to travel further (faster) in space and how to populate other planets... we're screwed. ;)

The problem is unlike Mad Max movies if the world goes in that direction it wouldn't be possible to survive. Everyone would go very quickly. I have heard it said that there is a set amount of mega tons that if that amount went off in a short period of time the planet would basically just die. From radiation, from lack of sunlight, nuclear winter. There are a few movies out there that are actually intended not as fiction, but a real look at the danger of nuclear weapons. And in the end of all of them, everyone dies. One reason the idea of bomb shelters died out is people realized it would only save them from the initial blast. They would die a longer more horrible death. People are still dieing in Japan from what we did.

Skorian said:
Ya, I don't know. Pass laws that people are only legally allowed to have one child and after that they pay huge fines. About the only thing I know anyone could do. Seems crazy to threaten people with jail for having kids, but what is more crazy then everyone starving because we didn't try to manage it? Though there is one interesting thing going on. Supposidly fertility rates across the globe are plummeting. It's possible someone is already secretly intentionally chemically neutering us all.

Yeah, I thought of that too. But then you have the overpopulation moved from the free, open world to the jails and the foster care system. (The kids have to go somewhere when the parents are incarcerated.)

Skorian said:
The problem is unlike Mad Max movies if the world goes in that direction it wouldn't be possible to survive. Everyone would go very quickly. I have heard it said that there is a set amount of mega tons that if that amount went off in a short period of time the planet would basically just die. From radiation, from lack of sunlight, nuclear winter. There are a few movies out there that are actually intended not as fiction, but a real look at the danger of nuclear weapons. And in the end of all of them, everyone dies. One reason the idea of bomb shelters died out is people realized it would only save them from the initial blast. They would die a longer more horrible death. People are still dieing in Japan from what we did.

Yes, that is very true. I mean, you can just look at the Chernobyl distaster for example, it spread radiation all over the place... I think it even affected us up here in Sweden in some ways. And that wasn't even a bomb.

Anyways, I was also thinking about the fall of society, governments and stuff like that. Anarchy, basically. Alot of people would probably die from starvation, fighting, medical problems etc. But at the same time some people would adapt, at least that's what I think. :)

Sometimes I think about how badly prepared most of us are, if something like this would happen. Most of us wouldn't have enough supplies to last more than a week or two! Kinda scary, actually.

Lonesome Crow said:

Only the good dy young.

I'm so ******* sorry to hear that man... :( :(

LonelyDragon said:
Skorian said:

Yeah, I thought of that too. But then you have the overpopulation moved from the free, open world to the jails and the foster care system. (The kids have to go somewhere when the parents are incarcerated.)

They wouldn't be having kids in jail. Especially if the sentance was like 40+ years or something till they couldn't have any more kids... lol. As long as people didn't have more then 2 it would be ok.

If we played our cards right we wouldn't ever have to worry about dealing with overpopulation. We could terraform other planets and moons and keep expanding further and further out never having to worry about overpopulating and yea I know some people are saying "yea but what happens when the sun gives out?", if by that point, millions of years in the future we may have the abilities to bend space time to get further out in the universe without actually traveling the distances and by that point we are free to live practically anywhere for a looooooong time

But the human race will die when our part of the universe begins to expand at speeds faster than the speed of light and we are sucked out of the observable part of the universe where we'll either end up spaghettified into the singularity of a massive doughnut shaped black hole the size of,well...the universe or we'll keep expanding till eventually everything is so far away from each other that the 4 forces that keep us together break down and the atoms were made of break into subatomic particles which break down further and further till the universe is nothing but a soup of minusculy small matter that will never combine again, the end:)

That is if we make it that far, my guess is that um....no we won't

Skorian said:
LonelyDragon said:
Skorian said:

They wouldn't be having kids in jail. Especially if the sentance was like 40+ years or something till they couldn't have any more kids... lol. As long as people didn't have more then 2 it would be ok.

Yeah, I know. I meant that simply adding the parents to the already overcrowded jails would add to that problem. Same goes for adding the kids to the overtaxed foster care system.

LonelyDragon said:
Lonesome Crow said:

Only the good dy young.

I'm sorry. I haven't lost a child, but I lost my best friend in '02 when he was only 33.

The question though is how long do humans have as a whole. According to the "prediction" that everyone is currently paying the most attention to it's 3 years. 2012

lol....when i was a kid...it was suppost to end in 1984..Alien invasion
or some crap.

Then WWIII or nucular holicus was suppose to happen in 1995.

Then the Y2K

Now it's 2012....I guess in accordance the the aztac's calender.
Something about the earth's axis will shift...a posiblity of the poles
changing..I guess it's suppose to distrup modern man technology
becuase of the magnetic fileds

I guess..life as I know it would end if...I the net gose down
and no more cell phone :(

Lonesome Crow said:
LonelyDragon said:
Lonesome Crow said:

Only the good dy young.

lol....when i was a kid...it was suppose to end in 1984..Alien invasion
or some crap.

Then WWIII or nucular holicus was suppose to happen in 1995.

Then the Y2K

Now it's 2012....I guess in accordance the the aztac's calender.
Something about the earth's axis will shift...a posiblity of the poles
changing..I guess it's suppose to distrup modern man technology
becuase of the magnetic fileds

I guess..life as I know it would end if...I the net gose down
and no more cell phone :(

Pack your honeysuckle folks, THE END IS NIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for me, I'm on the next dimensional portal out of here. I'm taking my guitar, my fish and a box of twinkies.

Have fun in your post apocalyptic hellhole, bitches....

;)

Latest posts

Back