How long have you been lonely?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonely_visionary

Reaction score
I'm new here, and was wondering how I fit in. Is anyone up for brief questions?

1. How long have you been lonely? Months, years, or decades?

2. Do you feel you are deep down different from other people (i.e. a personal trainer probably wouldn't help)?

3. Do you have mood swings, or are you just philosophical about your situation?

I'll start: decades, different, philosophical

Your turn.

1. I guess it started 7 years ago.

2. Yes, different.

3. Mood swings, definitely.

1. All my life
2. ... Undecided. I'm different, but fundamentally? Maybe, because I do not see the objective in the world as interacting with other people, which some do.
3. Don't understand the question.

Pheenix said:
3. Don't understand the question.

I suppose by "mood swings" I mean, do you get depressed in a bad way? Like bipolar, or low self esteem?

And by "philosophical" I mean you may be emotionally healthy, but are just very different from other people?

Years, approaching one decade.

2. Do you feel you are deep down different from other people (i.e. a personal trailer probably wouldn't help)?

Only my thoughts are different, or supposedly different in what could be a distorted mind. I do not 'look down my nose' at other individuals, but in general terms I dislike humanity and being a part of it myself.

The thoughts worrying my mind are not commonly as frequent to others, or so I am told. I believe that is why I do not connect well with people I meet.

I love and loathe it, but not in equal proportions. My loathing is stronger than my love. I would love to meet an aqcuaintance to share myself with.

1.) About 3 years

2.) Definitely different from other people. I'm able to find certain parallels in which I can relate to the "normal" world. But that's all they are is parallels, not the exact same reactions, situations or feelings.

3.) My mood swings dictate how philosophical or diplomatic I can be with my individualism. Sometimes good....Sometimes not so good.

1. I'd have to say about 8 years.

2. I'm a freak... what? I am :club: ... so yeah, I'm definitely different. I'm most definitely not the norm with the choices I've made in life, but whatever, I am who I am and I'm not going to change that to please other people.

3. I never have mood swings, I'm like the calmest person EVER! LMAO
okay fine, yes, I have mood swings, but I'm a woman, so duh :D

Forever

2. Do you feel you are deep down different from other people (i.e. a personal trailer probably wouldn't help)?

Definitely Different. There are times when I wonder if I'm actually human (probably be best if I wasn't)

Mood swings but one of my moods happens to include being philosophical about it all (sort of wish I could keep hold of that one).

Years (somewhere between 5 - 7)

Yes of course but we are all different.

I do have mood swings....these can last for days and can be debilitating. Sometimes they are accompanied with physical illness. Usually the trigger can be identified but some triggers are unavoidable. In my opinion, these will eventually go away with time once full healing takes place in my life. I hope this makes sense to someone...

lonely_visionary said:
I'm new here, and was wondering how I fit in. Is anyone up for brief questions?

2. Do you feel you are deep down different from other people (i.e. a personal trainer probably wouldn't help)?

I'll start: decades, different, philosophical

Your turn.

1. All my life. My mother sent me to preschool because she could tell I felt lonely all the time under the age of 2 and at preschool I was mocked and had no friends. That's where it all started and continued.

2. Yes and no. I do think I'm different, but I also think I'm crippled because of my past of being picked on a lot. Because I got picked on a lot, I left high school with no friends (while most people keep at least a few of them) which started me off bad and I also developed mental problems that made me struggle to fit in for a long time and I'm just now getting over a lot of them. It's hard to get new friends when you start out with none because you often meet people through other people.

3. I'm all of it.

1.about 3 years, since i started college...
2. i dont think i am all that different but lately i feel different from the world. its like me vs everyone else
3. both.

If I look at the combination of how long I've been single AND not having friendships that meant hanging out or talking on a regular basis, then I'd have to say years. Fortunately, I can't say either of those have held true ALL my life. But at this stage of my life, going on 30, it's been a while. It definitely feels it has been this way the vast majority of my life.

Not really. I think saying that would be an excuse. Fact is, I could and should try harder to make friends and to get romantically involved with someone. I think I need to be a lot less clumsy in articulating my thoughts/ideas to people when opportuities for friendships arise.

I suppose by "mood swings" I mean, do you get depressed in a bad way? Like bipolar, or low self esteem?

Can I just call it ups and downs? Sometimes I feel good, sometimes I'm absolutely miserable. Sometimes I'm optimistic, sometimes I think certain things will never happen for me.

I have been alone for almost 27 years. However, I have only been lonely for about a year. I have always been a loner and most comfortable by myself since birth, but sometimes I have these moments that I would like to share with someone because they fell empty if only I am only one experiencing them (travel, hiking, movies etc.).

Absolutely. I have always felt different. Everyone I met seems to need people, to the point of getting suicidal if they have no friend/relationship/girlfriend etc. I haven't experienced any emotional need for people, until recently. And even then, it comes in waves or during certain moments (does not happen often).

Like I said before, I'm only lonely during moments. Perhaps, it's Christmas/Valentines day and I'm sleeping by myself. Or times when in a family restaurant and I'm sitting alone at the bar. Or on top of a mountain, taking in the view, but no one to share it with. Thing like that.

All these thing could be fixed if I talked to people but I'm just so set in my loner ways that I just don't bother (my own fault). ^^;

lonely_visionary said:

1. All my life!

2. To tell the truth know I don't think I'm totally different from anyone else. I choose to be the nice guy, instead of the butthole type of guy. I'm guessing that is my problem.

3. Yes I get sad / depressed a lot. Wondering what I did to live such a lonely, miserable, pathetic life.

More severely since graduating from High School, but I've been a generally lonesome person since about 6th grade.

Deep down, I feel I'm slightly different than everyone I associate with, but I'm pretty sure there are other people out there in this big blue world who are like me.

I'm similar enough to people I associate with that I don't repulse people or something of the sort.

If I'm in the mood, I'll be philosophical. But I don't really have random mood swings. There is generally always a reason for me being in any particular mood.

1. Intermittently for 33 years. Probably the most during the first few.

2. Unfortunately, I have a disorder that does make me different.

3. I'd say that I have no mood swings, but am sometimes rather frustrated.

Latest posts

Back