How long have you been lonely?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. How long have you been lonely? Months, years, or decades?

Years, really. I guess it was somewhere in high school when I realized I had no friends anymore, no significant other or even a bloody pet to keep me company. Been ardently striding towards finding one of these three for the past years. Thus far, the third seems most likely.

2. Do you feel you are deep down different from other people (i.e. a personal trainer probably wouldn't help)?

We're all different, sure. In my case? Maybe a bit more so. Never been much of a conformist, and I got my quirks. Doctors wanted to label 'em, but I just think it was a load of hooey to try and explain why I am so odd.

3. Do you have mood swings, or are you just philosophical about your situation?

Moody, I guess. I haven't given much quarter to philosophical thought in the past years, since that's when the demons come out. :p Truth told, I can't say for sure.

a) since age 7, with some periods of relief

b) quite different, too sensitive, I see things that others don't see and I wish I hadn't, and ignore some commonplace dynamics of social life - I was lucky enough to meet a number of people just like me and now I know that we are just an underground phenomenon instead of mainstream ;-) and that I am not alone although it feels like it in daily life.

c) a bit sad, no swings, perfectly happy as soon as I get some good company

1. Since I can remember. Being left my your father when still unborn doesn't give you a great start. The two year period with my now deceased girlfriend and daughter was the only time I never felt alone. Girlfriend was a gem and daughter a bunlde of joy.

2. Yes. No-one understands me. Nobody even tries.

3. Mood swings all the time, although never truly happy.

- 12 years :'/ since 5

2. Do you feel you are deep down different from other people (i.e. a personal trainer probably wouldn't help)?
- yes, i'm very sensitive and deep person

- yup, my feelings go up and down all the time, lol '__'

Almost 10 years.

Every person is different in a way. As for me since I was a kid I enjoyed my own company. I was able to make friends, but I always felt I didn't need them like your average person would.

I used to when I was in my teens, but I guess it was normal. Today I have more philosophical approach about the loneliness issue. I think it doesn't bother me in the same sense how it used to.

For as long as I can remember, back to when I was five or six years old, and it's really strong since I'm 14.

I'm definitely different from the mainstream of this society, and I won't and can't change the way I am.

I kind of got used to the situation, it's been quite some years. I can't remember a time when I was really happy, maybe for very few moments. Most of the time, I'm not in a good mood about it.

lonely_visionary said:
I'm new here, and was wondering how I fit in. Is anyone up for brief questions?

I'll start: decades, different, philosophical

Your turn.

Hi, welcome to the forum:) I'm new too...

1) I don't know for how long. I just felt an isolation every since I migrated. Perhaps I was always lonely. I only realised it a couple of years ago.

2) NO, fundamentally I'm no different to anybody out here or out there. We all have superficial differences. I guess I would be perfectly happy if the world would be a little more sympathetic place than it is right now. I don't think I'm trying to be different either. If I'm a freak, I'm OK with it. If not, I'm OK with that too.

3) No mood swings that I know of as problems. But definately a lot of emotional pain, and a little bit of philosophising. But lately I have even stopped doing that because philosophy leads to nowhere.

Now you start posting... just say what you feel like. It's a free forum. We are all in the same boat.

The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.
* Pearl S. Buck

1. years............
2. yes, i do feel different from most people
3. well i dont really have mood swings. i just feel like i dont belong and like i dont have a place. and i am a loner for the most part.

1. For as long as I can remember.

2. I definitely feel as though I'm different to other people. I've never felt as though I 'fit in'. I see others interacting, chatting, having fun etc and wonder why that never happens to me.

3. I wouldn't describe it as having mood swings but the loneliness is upsetting. Some times are worse than others.

1. Since highschool, about 13-14 years.
2. No, I'm sure there are a lot of people in common with me, I'm not special or unique, just socially underdeveloped, I have no problem finding other people with the same common interests on the net, or even people with the same problems as me.
3. Yes, moodswings, mostly when I'm alone. I'm quite positive with other people I do get to hang out with per week, but I'm not very close to these people.

I have been lonely since my husband and I split up 8 years ago this October. Actually, I got a bit used to being without him, and I am afraid of being hurt again. Still, I wouldn't mind getting into another relationship--but want to take it really slow if I meet someone. I can't afford to make any more life-changing mistakes in my life, especially when it comes to men.

1. For almost my entire life. I've had a few friends during certain periods ov my life though.

2. Yes, I often feel very different from pretty much everyone I know ov. I'm not "one of a kind" though, I know that.

3. A little bit of both, but slightly more philosophical I guess.

1. For as long as I can remember, because...

2. I feel totally different from most people. I'm probably not, my social skills are and always have been severely lacking however, which leads me to feeling disconnected from people

3. Mood swings, yes. Like, if I'm around people I totally forget all my worries and cares, but the moment I'm by myself it all comes back out, sometimes I get real angry at myself for not knowing why no one cares if I'm around or not, mostly I just get depressed and stop giving a honeysuckle about anything and anyone, including myself. I try to maintain a philosophical outlook, but sitting at home over analysing everything just does my head in sometimes

since I was 9

sometimes. I know I'm not different but no matter how many people I talk to or hang out with, at the end of the day, I'll still feel like I'm alone.

mood swings.

1. All my life. My dog has been my only real friend.

2. Different.

3. Either. It would depend on my reaction to the situation at hand.

1. 6 or 7 years now. I've never been without friends so I count myself lucky in that respect, but I've so far had zero success with any member of the opposite sex.

2. Different in ways, without a doubt. I'm certainly in the minority being an introvert, and as a result I often find myself surrounded by people I feel I have little in common with. Fundamentally though, I share a desire for companionship like most everyone else (albeit perhaps in a more meaningful form than most). I just lack the constitution needed to attain such companionship.

3. Mood swings I suppose.

forever being lonely every day i am lonely every day i feel worse
i though dying some how no one would notice i was gone

Latest posts

Back