I ******* hate my parents.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lady Gaga Snerd said:
There's nothing wrong with blowing off a bit of steam.

That is VERY true, we all need to... But not at the expense of others.

I had a very hard childhood, and now my presents are dead.. It upset me to see the disrespect for others lives, and views. And then refuse to listen, when put in a section that encourages advice.

I just think it could have been done better... When claiming disrespect , but displaying it at the same time.

My mom is Asian, hard of hearing, and forgets everything. I have to explain everything to her a million times, and sometimes she doesn't even believe that I'm telling her the truth... not because I have a history of being dishonest, but because she just thinks I MUST be over-complicating things. So she'll make me go out of my way to verify the things I tell her, because it gives her peace of mind. I do this because she's my mother, and it's the right thing to do, but it doesn't mean I enjoy doing it.

Helping my mother makes my life incredibly complicated. I'm a single parent. I run my own business- actually, multiple businesses. I'd like to get a different job or go back to college... but none of that is possible because I have to help my mom. It is incredibly frustrating... and there are times I really hate that she cannot do these things for herself. The thing is, if I said I hated her, and something happened to her... I'd feel horrible. Even if I never told HER, "I hate you!" or some such thing, I'd know that I felt that way, and I'd feel guilty.

Also, even if you say nothing, your parents can usually pick up on how you feel about them. I wouldn't want my mother to leave this world believing that I hated her. I'm sure you wouldn't want that for your parents, either. So I'm not going to tell you that it's not okay to be frustrated. I just want to caution you that hate is a strong thing, and you shouldn't allow it into your heart. I hope that you train yourself to think, "This is frustrating" but not, "I hate them."

Good luck!

I share a two family home with my grandmother... she lives upstairs I live downstairs... its all very nice. Anyway... my grandmother is 83, I am 35. She is just learning the whole "computer, ipad and iphone" world... and tries like hell to use them. She must call me a million times to come up and show her something simple (like how to X out...or to log onto Facebook) a million times a day. These are things I've already shown her... over and over again.

I can understand feeling aggravated, I really do... there are sometimes I may say to her.."maybe you shouldn't have gotten these things to begin with"... But... she is my grandmother, I love her, and she just wants to keep up with technology, and "get her emails" from family and such. I'd never say I hate her for wanting to try... even if she says things like "load Down" in stead of download".

I guess my point is... you need to give a little... maybe its her way of trying to connect with you.. seeing that you are 17...or she just wants to learn how to connect to the world the way we all do. We know you don't really hate her... it's a little harsh to say. But we all do understand aggravation. anyway... let her ask her questions and you should answer them as many times as she asks.... believe it or not, these are precious moments with your family...and make for some great stories later on! Hang in there

Happens to me all the time lol. Way I think of it, adults are humans too. Even though they're you're parents they can act pretty dumb sometimes. I feel like they just use that authority to shut you up when they know they've made a mistake or lost an argument.

For example during a movie, like in the middle of the movie when my mom doesn't know what's going on, my mom will ask me "what's happening" or "what just happened". First off, I don't wanna answer questions while I'm in the middle of a movie. Second off, if I do tell her what's happening she'll ask me like 100000 other questions about the plot and what she missed DURING THE MOVIE. Most of the time, I'll just be like "I DON'T KNOW". Then she yells at me for "raising my voice" or some stupid crap like that.

I've had similar problems aswell but I am pretty sure my parents sometimes think I'm a **** idiot aswell.
Everyone fights, that's just the way it is.
But think for a second where you would be without your parents, what if they would've dumped you on the streets. Think about all they've done for you and all they will continue to do for you and then you can talk about hating if that still seems appropriate.

breadbasket said:
I let my mother use my laptop to run Microsoft Excel. And it runs slow, so she blames it on me. I try to help her, in every way, to run her orchid business.

When I told her that, "Sorry, this computer is a little to old, Newer software needs upgraded hardware." It took well over a minute for the thing to load. But meanwhile, my mom kept asking me, "What is upgraded," and I told her, "Upgraded is a newer computer-". She interrupts me, "What is upgraded!" she exclaims loudly. "An Upgraded computer is with higher perf-". "Mom! There are many models in the market that can easily run this pr-" "WHAT IS UPGRADED!?!?" "I JUST ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION."

By then, I was pretty annoyed by my mother. Asking the same question over and over. With a smile, that agitates me. And it was getting ******* annoying. A smile, while she keeps asking the same question over and over again. "What is upgraded what is upgraded what is upgraded what is upgraded what is upgraded."

"UP GRADED..." I raised my voice over my mothers. "Upgraded is when you throw away this computer... and buy a new one." And my mom, decides to act like a *****, "Why did you raise your voice?"
She was bombarding me with the same question over and over again, while I answer it repeatedly. And she wonders, why, why I raised my voice.

And by then I was remarkably pissed, then turned terrified, as my dad came in. He got mad at me for raising my voice. Well I would tell him, but he would just tell me, to shut up. About how disrespectful I am, for answering her question. About how much I was a piece of honeysuckle, despite how far I went. How descent I made myself to be. He said, that I am no longer allowed to talk for being such a rebellious honeysuckle head I have became.

Sorry to read about this, as it sounds depressingly familiar. I haven't read all the other replies here--do you normally run into such communication problems with your mother? I had miscommunication with mine for most of my childhood. It's a b**** when your respect is demanded purely because you are next of kin, even though your mother doesn't exhibit qualities worthy of respect--such as basic comprehension. Yeah, it's difficult. All I can tell you is don't express your anger at your parents too openly, & know that it won't last forever. If they (especially the mother) are as oblivious as the original anecdote makes them out to be, well, when you are earning enough to move out & pay rent somewhere, you can break free of them & never have tolerate any lunkheads again...unless you get paid enough.

Incidentally, do you have to help her with her orchid business? Just a thought.

Speaking as a very IT-savvy person, with a very IT-illiterate (she admits this) mother, I can understand your frustration.

Today, I was interrupted from my real job as a web developer, to look at why error messages were popping up on her Windows 7 laptop (something I upgraded from Windows Vista, so it's from around 2007.) Turns out it was an easy fix.

Two days ago, she wanted help with Outlook. Now, I hate Outlook...prefer web email and Mac Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird. But I messed around with it, to pull up contacts that a job had sent her...and realized that it probably could have opened in gmail. Argh.

Latest posts

Back