I have 4 kinds of friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one lonely guy

Reaction score
And I used to term 'friends' very loosely.

1) Friends I can almost never reach (Luddites without cellphones too, if you can believe such a thing in this day and age)

2) Friends who never try to reach me

3) Friends who are always too busy and/or can't commit to anything more than 30 minutes into the future

4) Friends who are too far away to hang out with

I don't expect any of these 'friends' to change anytime soon, so I make other arrangements, but it's REALLY REALLY frustrating.

The only alternative to friends I've found is joining groups that engage in activities and meetings. I've met numerous friendly acquaintances this way, and do enjoy myself doing these things, but still nobody to 'hang out' with.

Can anyone relate?
olg

one lonely guy said:

1) Friends I can almost never reach (Luddites without cellphones too, if you can believe such a thing in this day and age)

3) Friends who are always too busy and/or can't commit to anything more than 30 minutes into the future

I don't expect any of these 'friends' to change anytime soon, so I make other arrangements, but it's REALLY REALLY frustrating.

The only alternative to friends I've found is joining groups that engage in activities and meetings. I've met numerous friendly acquaintances this way, and do enjoy myself doing these things, but still nobody to 'hang out' with.

Can anyone relate?
olg

Wow those friends sound like my real life and online friends :D

I dont worry about it too much to be honest.

I'm happy seeing my friends at school and then going home to my online friends n_n

What would you like from your friends that you dont get now?

Like would you want to hang out every weekend? or??

SophiaGrace said:
What would you like from your friends that you dont get now?
Availability.
I should point out that every one of these 'friends' (whom I've known for years and years) has issues they're dealing with themselves - too long to list here. That contributes to their unavailability. I used to see more of them, but either their issues have increased or the connections have gone stale, a seemingly repeating pattern for me.

I never seem to have been able to make 'normal' friends (like I'm normal - not ;) ).
The closest thing to 'normal' people I connect with are in my organized activity groups, where I get along real well with people - just no connections to 'hang out' with or call. I think everyone has their families and responsibilities, just not me. Zero local family, and very early retired (though I'm real happy about the latter).

Like would you want to hang out every weekend? or??
Evenings for coffee, meals or a drink would be great. Evenings are the killer for me. Most of the group-activity stuff occurs daytime and that, in addition to usual errands, eats up most of the day.

Don't get me wrong - I'm making stabs at new friendships, but progress is glacially slow. I think age contributes to that.

For me,my definition of a friend is a mutual acceptance and treatment as a friend.

alonelyguy said:

Can anyone relate?
olg

I have 9/10 of my friends under the four categories.I was hoping they were like 24 hr store.I always bad at hanging out at the group because I really struggles to talk in the group.

I used to get annoyed by those kind friends too. Then I realized that if I had people calling me all the time wanting to hang out, would just annoy me even more. So now I am happy to have such friends. They go away and leave me alone.

Latest posts

Back