i have AUTISM

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangman

Reaction score
it dosent get any lonlier then that, i bet a bunch of you are undiagnosed.

- How do you know you have Autism?
- Who diagnosed you?
- What, exactly, was tested, and what was said??
- Were you given a prognosis, and, if so, what is the way forward??

You've been diagnosed with what I call "Future Genius" syndrome - do you agree with that title, or disagree?

People who are lonely and have social problems does not always equate to having autism or even being on the autism spectrum. I do not feel that a lot of the people here have autism. The are too functioning. Yes, there is Asperger's and whatnot that do allow people to function and communicate like a rational person, but I know the signs as my son has Asperger's and while some people here have said they have Asperger's, I think they are in the minority here. My son was diagnosed with Asperger's by 3 different medical professionals including a neurologist, a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

That said, my own problems stem from low self esteem and living with an alcoholic for 7 years. Most of my friends were guys, my husband put a stop to gradually over the course of 2 years and that left me with no friends. My family never really was there for me. I don't have autism or any condition in the autism spectrum.

i admit i do have problems with communication... i'm sure it's not autism but it might be something else and not just psychologically/environmentally caused. i would like to find it out to be sure 100% what i have or don't have, but i just don't know who to council with... my family doctor sucks and i don't have money for some fancy institutions...

and hangman, i see bunch of ppl with autism having more fun than i do.

*hugs* callie, i wish i had some good advice for you, it sounds hard what's you are going through.

Autism can sometimes be a hard one to diagnose its not always so straight forward. Some people can sort of seem to be borderline autistic in a way that they share some similar traits to autistic people. My brother is autistic and he has to take medication because sometimes he kind of goes a bit loopy, he loses the plot every now and then. He also has trouble with understanding people's emotions which is another part of autism.

While alot of autistic people are socially impaired, non-autistic people can still share similar social impairment and maybe even worse in some cases but its kind of social anxiety not as much as a literal impairment usually. I am quite a socially anxious person but my brother is actually less socially anxious than me... he has a really high paid job, hes a clever guy and he also goes to different clubs and things. He doesnt really have much of a problem meeting new people as some non-autistic but socially anxious people do.

The first person to respond was correct in asking just who diagnosed you... or if you have actually been diagnosed at all...

I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degrees in social work, and I have a Master's degree in Special Education. I am working on a dissertation on Asperger Syndrome, a condition on the Autism Spectrum. This means I know bunches about this particular area.

You need to be properly evaluated, or at least to say how you were evaluated, and the qualifications of the person who evaluated you.

Given your communication skills, it seems that you would have to be at the very high functioning end of the autism scale, if, indeed, you were autistic.

First, being lonely doesn't mean autism.

Second, having autism doesn't always mean being lonely.

And third, don't assume that everyone here has one specific thing.

Latest posts

Back