I think I'm transgender...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DesertWolf said:
Jafo said:
I think since this whole Bruce Jenner thing got out transgenderism is the new fad.

Before writing something as presumptious as that, something that invalidates a core part of someone's identity, could you please take a little bit of time to do some basic research?

Statements like that may seem innocuous to you but it can push some really vulnerable people over the edge - People who are already facing enough bigotry and discrimination every day.

You might as well say that being cis and straight is a fad since most celebrities seem to be "into it".

Maybe what you're actually observing is more people getting the courage these days to open up about how they feel, and so to you it appears to be a new "fad". The same accusation has been commonly made against other members of the LGBT community.

Firstly, that's Jafo's opinion and he's entitled to it.

Secondly, it could be called a fad, as Jenner most like will give people the courage to come out as transgender for a while, thus being a fad. You can interpret the word "fad" in a number of ways. Not all fads are meaningless and trivial.

Words are just that, words. YOU choose how to interpret those words because you can't know what the person who wrote those words actually meant to say without asking them. So, you're jumping to conclusions on this and taking the word "fad" to be trivial and meaningless when that's not always the case.

People need to do what they are comfortable with, while staying true to themselves. If that takes a celebrity starting a "fad" to get it done, then so be it.

TheRealCallie said:

Secondly, it could be called a fad, as Jenner most like will give people the courage to come out as transgender for a while, thus being a fad. You can interpret the word "fad" in a number of ways. Not all fads are meaningless and trivial.

Words are just that, words. YOU choose how to interpret those words because you can't know what the person who wrote those words actually meant to say without asking them. So, you're jumping to conclusions on this and taking the word "fad" to be trivial and meaningless when that's not always the case.

People need to do what they are comfortable with, while staying true to themselves. If that takes a celebrity starting a "fad" to get it done, then so be it.

fad
noun: fad; plural noun: fads
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
fad
noun
1. a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

First of all, if Jafo meant "fad" as it is most commonly defined and used, it certainly implies triviality due to the nature of a fad being that it's short-lived. Jafo did not say that they thought coming out as transgender is a new fad, but that transgenderism itself is. Maybe Jafo used a poor choice of wording if they intended to express something nicer than that they think something so massively life affecting as feeling you're in the wrong body is just a passing fashion thanks to a celebrity, but as it seems on the surface, the comment is insensitive at best.

Second is that I usually cannot speak for someone else, but in this case I can. Wolf was simply asking for a bit more consideration when it comes to making comments about a group of people who are already so marginalized as it is. We can't 100% know the intention behind Jafo's words, sure, but we can make good guesses on it based on the wording and the intention behind similar comments made by others. The idea that transgenderism isn't a genuine condition or that it's just some sort of fashion isn't rare. A lot of trans people are subjected to that kind of judgment.

To me, Jafo's comment comes off as very dismissive. Which I find hurtful. I think it's only fair for Wolf to ask that they be more thoughtful by educating themselves on the subject. Nothing prevents Jafo from choosing not to do so. Wolf certainly doesn't think that Jafo isn't entitled to their opinion and he didn't express anything saying as much. He just hopes for more compassion on the part of cis people in the way they speak about trans people, since the lack of that compassion is dangerous in many ways.

fox said:
The name Bruce Jenner sounds vaguely familiar but I couldn't have told you who they are or what they do or that I knew anything about their gender identity, and to be honest I find it upsetting for someone to assume that I'm just following a fad on something that I've struggled so much with for so long....

Anyway, thank you very much everyone for the support, I really appreciate it a lot. I'm sorry for the meltdown that came out a bit in this thread.. it's happening a lot to me lately related to medication adjustments for mental health and life stress in general.. honestly I didn't post since then because I was too embarrassed
Nothing to be embarassed about. I'm glad you're feeling better now, though.

And just ignore the people who don't understand. There will always be people like that so long as you are 'different' than everyone else. But being different is good, in my opinion, and I know many others who agree. 'Normal people' are very boring and generally ignorant about a lot of things.

fox said:
TheRealCallie said:

fad
noun: fad; plural noun: fads
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
fad
noun
1. a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

First of all, if Jafo meant "fad" as it is most commonly defined and used, it certainly implies triviality due to the nature of a fad being that it's short-lived. Jafo did not say that they thought coming out as transgender is a new fad, but that transgenderism itself is. Maybe Jafo used a poor choice of wording if they intended to express something nicer than that they think something so massively life affecting as feeling you're in the wrong body is just a passing fashion thanks to a celebrity, but as it seems on the surface, the comment is insensitive at best.

Second is that I usually cannot speak for someone else, but in this case I can. Wolf was simply asking for a bit more consideration when it comes to making comments about a group of people who are already so marginalized as it is. We can't 100% know the intention behind Jafo's words, sure, but we can make good guesses on it based on the wording and the intention behind similar comments made by others. The idea that transgenderism isn't a genuine condition or that it's just some sort of fashion isn't rare. A lot of trans people are subjected to that kind of judgment.

To me, Jafo's comment comes off as very dismissive. Which I find hurtful. I think it's only fair for Wolf to ask that they be more thoughtful by educating themselves on the subject. Nothing prevents Jafo from choosing not to do so. Wolf certainly doesn't think that Jafo isn't entitled to their opinion and he didn't express anything saying as much. He just hopes for more compassion on the part of cis people in the way they speak about trans people, since the lack of that compassion is dangerous in many ways.

It seems like you are both taking the word "Fad" as a horrible, demeaning insult. It doesn't have to be. The ice bucket challenge was a fad. Does that take away what they were trying to do for the challenge? They raised a good bit of money for that charity, for that disease. Because it was a "fad," does that mean it wasn't important? No, it doesn't.

If you feel you are transgender, then be yourself and be that. Don't worry about what other people think, don't worry about having support from complete strangers because that's not what's important. What matters is that the people that care about you support you. Not everyone is going to say things you like or want to hear. That's a part of life you are going to have to accept. Not everyone is okay with transgender people and they don't have to be. But you have to be okay with being who you are, regardless of what is said about it. If you don't allow words and opinions to hurt you, they won't hurt you.

TheRealCallie said:
It seems like you are both taking the word "Fad" as a horrible, demeaning insult. It doesn't have to be. The ice bucket challenge was a fad. Does that take away what they were trying to do for the challenge? They raised a good bit of money for that charity, for that disease. Because it was a "fad," does that mean it wasn't important? No, it doesn't.
Not to get off-topic, but something can be beneficial in some ways but still be rather demeaning in others.

Maybe ridiculous things like 'the ice bucket challenge' can promote something for a little while, but why aren't people donating their money without this ridiculous and meaningless fad? And what are they going to do after the fad has died?
If anything this fad was nothing more than a ruse to give people a 'feel good' experience for a little while so they could pretend to care about something and feel a little bit better about themselves by donating or promoting the fad. In reality they don't really care, and that's why it required a sudden ridiculous fad to get them to even notice it.

In the end, the donating itself was the real fad. Which is sad because the way these organizations work is that they work better if they have continuous sources of income and not just a sudden one-time cash-flow.

It really is demeaning that it requires stupid stunts like these just to get people to care about something really important, and they still don't care afterward, even if they noticed it for a moment.
So what does that tell you about fads and the way people respond to fads? It's seen as a derogatory word because it is a derogatory word.

TheRealCallie said:

If you feel you are transgender, then be yourself and be that. Don't worry about what other people think, don't worry about having support from complete strangers because that's not what's important. What matters is that the people that care about you support you. Not everyone is going to say things you like or want to hear. That's a part of life you are going to have to accept. Not everyone is okay with transgender people and they don't have to be. But you have to be okay with being who you are, regardless of what is said about it. If you don't allow words and opinions to hurt you, they won't hurt you.
I already have explained my issue with the use of the word "fad" toward this subject that addresses this and I'm really not interested in further debating about semantics, so I'm going to leave that here.

Anyway, despite growing acceptance in western countries in recent years, the trans (and the rest of the LGBT community) still really don't have the luxury to just ignore it. I certainly don't demand or expect that everyone stand behind me and cheer but I'm also certainly not going to sit around on my hands when someone says something that propagates a harmful mindset toward transgenderism and trans people in general. This is because it goes far beyond just me feeling hurt by these attitudes. Trans people are still subject to an incredible amount of abuse and harassment everywhere and it's not just a bit of petty verbal bullying that can safely go ignored. Openly trans people, or those who do not intend to be open about their transition but don't "pass" in the eyes of others have no choice but to be extremely cautious about their physical safety. Trans people are still very subject to hate crimes and discrimination. Physical assault, sexual assault, street harassment, murder. It's not as common as it used to be but it's still there for trans people in disturbingly high numbers compared to the general populace.

Even if direct physical safety was not a factor, mindsets that transgenderism is just a fad, not a genuine condition, etc. is harmful. The public mindset about these things dictate laws about how trans people are to be treated or recognized. This can, as one example, translate to a transwoman who has had the misfortune of being arrested being sent to a male prison. I don't think I need to even say what will happen to her there. Another example is of trans people being forced to use the restrooms of their assigned gender or to have their assigned gender and name on identifying documents. This is not just extremely uncomfortable for trans people, but it forcibly "outs" them to strangers on a regular basis. This is harmful and goes back to a safety risk.

This is all on top of the fact that trans people are hugely at risk of depression and suicide, statistics showing a disturbingly high percentage as compared to the general population. It's not because of transgenderism itself but because of society's reaction to transgenderism and treatment of trans people.

Back to Jafo's post, I can't be 100% sure of the intention behind their post, but since they have not clarified, I can only respond to it based on how it sounds and its most likely meaning. Even if Jafo came and clarified and said that they truly didn't mean it that way, everything that has been said needed to be said. It could mean the difference of even one other person coming across this thread and reconsidering ideas they have about transgenderism and one less person afterward subject to discrimination; one less "straw that broke the camel's back" that pushes a vulnerable person over the edge. As for Wolf and I, we don't expect or demand that everyone stand behind and cheer for the trans community, but we feel it necessary to speak out in whatever ways we can, in hopes that the treatment of trans and other LGBT people will improve even a little bit.

I agree with Fox and Despicable Me. Of course people are entitled to their opinion, Callie - I never said they weren't. I am merely expressing mine and pointing out the harm that can be caused by people blurting out uninformed ones to an audience that may include psychologically vulnerable people. I am encouraging people to be more responsible with what they write/say, not trying to pass a law to censor them.

TheRealCallie said:
If you don't allow words and opinions to hurt you, they won't hurt you.
This is waaaaay easier said than done. We are social creatures and not immune to the psychological effects of the words of others. We can work on building our resilience, but not everyone has achieved enough resilience to survive being trivialized, made fun of and harassed on a regular basis. We all need to be part of the solution. The suicide rate of transgendered adults is shockingly high compared to the general population due to intolerant attitudes transgendered people face on a regular basis. As Fox pointed out, this also isn't just about words, but the physical and sexual violence that can be inspired by those words as well. This is why I wrote what I did about Jafo's post.

Jafo said:
I think since this whole Bruce Jenner thing got out transgenderism is the new fad.
I think we all know the likely intent here: trying to dismiss trans people as a bunch of celebrity followers without any genuine gender dysphoria.

As to the ice bucket challenge, yes, it had people doing something they normally wouldn't do and no, they likely aren't doing it anymore, but stepping up and giving money for the charity is still a good thing. They should do it more often and yeah, they did it because it was a "fad," but it doesn't take away from the fact that they helped raise a lot of money for a disease.

I never said not allowing word to hurt was easy, but that doesn't mean the steps shouldn't be taken to teach yourself how to do so. Almost nothing worth having or doing is easy to obtain.
As for the physical violence, there are self defense classes and martial arts you could learn to protect yourself. There's no reason at all that a transgender person couldn't do what lots of people do already. Not only could martial arts help keep them safe, it would also give them a discipline they may not have had before, a way to lessen some of the stress or depression or whatever they go through. Just the same as everyone else in the world.

Transgender people may have a higher suicide rate (no, I'm not disputing that fact) does not really make them more important than anyone else that has tried or succeeded in going down that road. Their feelings aren't more important than the feelings of anyone else. Yes, they may get harassed and tormented and ridiculed and the physical violence, but so do a lot of people. What I get from what you are saying is that people should feel sorry for them. It's horrible and sad that they have to go through that, but there really isn't any changing people that are against them. In my experience, people like that have no desire to change their ways or beliefs.
When someone, anyone goes against the "norm," they will have to deal with intolerant behavior from other people who don't like people being "different." Whether that is someone transgender or worshiping the wrong God in a religious community or even having a deformity. Yes, I know this thread is about being transgender, but really, it's not any different than any of the examples I gave.
Personally, I feel that if you are going down this road, you not only need to accept yourself and figure out how to tell the people around you, but also to prepare yourself for what you undoubtedly know will come once people find out and that takes a lot of strength. So find that strength and own who you are and be proud of who you are.

You can take from this that I'm lessening what transgenders go through, but I'm not. Please don't take offense at what I said, because I truly mean none.

TheRealCallie said:
I never said not allowing word to hurt was easy, but that doesn't mean the steps shouldn't be taken to teach yourself how to do so. Almost nothing worth having or doing is easy to obtain.
As for the physical violence, there are self defense classes and martial arts you could learn to protect yourself. There's no reason at all that a transgender person couldn't do what lots of people do already. Not only could martial arts help keep them safe, it would also give them a discipline they may not have had before, a way to lessen some of the stress or depression or whatever they go through. Just the same as everyone else in the world.

Self defense classes have their limits and cannot save you from being outnumbered or overpowered by attackers wielding weapons. Fighting for a change in how society perceives transgendered people can get us much further than merely just shifting the responsibility for this problem onto the victims themselves. Transgendered people should have a right to feel just as safe as the average person, and if we want to consider ourselves a just and fair society, we should strive to make change to ensure that.

TheRealCallie said:
Transgender people may have a higher suicide rate (no, I'm not disputing that fact) does not really make them more important than anyone else that has tried or succeeded in going down that road. Their feelings aren't more important than the feelings of anyone else.

Where did any of us claim that transgendered people's feelings were more important than the feelings of anyone else?

TheRealCallie said:
It's horrible and sad that they have to go through that, but there really isn't any changing people that are against them. In my experience, people like that have no desire to change their ways or beliefs.

Of course there are a lot of people who refuse to reconsider their position on things, but a significant amount of people and society can and do change, or else homosexuality would still be illegal and predominantly viewed as perverted, slavery in the US would still be legal and commonly seen as acceptable, women would still have no voting rights, etc.

TheRealCallie said:
As to the ice bucket challenge, yes, it had people doing something they normally wouldn't do and no, they likely aren't doing it anymore, but stepping up and giving money for the charity is still a good thing. They should do it more often and yeah, they did it because it was a "fad," but it doesn't take away from the fact that they helped raise a lot of money for a disease.

Transgender people may have a higher suicide rate (no, I'm not disputing that fact) does not really make them more important than anyone else that has tried or succeeded in going down that road. Their feelings aren't more important than the feelings of anyone else. Yes, they may get harassed and tormented and ridiculed and the physical violence, but so do a lot of people. What I get from what you are saying is that people should feel sorry for them. It's horrible and sad that they have to go through that, but there really isn't any changing people that are against them. In my experience, people like that have no desire to change their ways or beliefs.
When someone, anyone goes against the "norm," they will have to deal with intolerant behavior from other people who don't like people being "different." Whether that is someone transgender or worshiping the wrong God in a religious community or even having a deformity. Yes, I know this thread is about being transgender, but really, it's not any different than any of the examples I gave.
Personally, I feel that if you are going down this road, you not only need to accept yourself and figure out how to tell the people around you, but also to prepare yourself for what you undoubtedly know will come once people find out and that takes a lot of strength. So find that strength and own who you are and be proud of who you are.

You can take from this that I'm lessening what transgenders go through, but I'm not. Please don't take offense at what I said, because I truly mean none.

I see the self defense classes advice as akin to people who say that women shouldn't wear revealing clothing lest someone will try to rape them, in the case they do decide to wear revealing clothing, they should learn how to fight back if someone does try... rather than placing the responsibility on rapists to not rape.

Martial arts isn't going to be all that helpful when you have a group of violent bigots surrounding you, and especially not if they have weapons, which many people carry these days.

No one is saying that transgender people are "more important" than any other group of vulnerable people that are subject to bigotry, violence, and harassment. It's not a contest. I really don't think this would even be a matter of discussion if the subject at hand was, as one example, racism.

Few would tell a racial minority that is subject to racism that what they go through is no more important than anyone else, and that therefore they shouldn't bother to speak out against racism. Or that speaking out against racism isn't going to do anything, and that instead of racist bigots changing how they think and behave, people subject to racism should simply toughen up, grow a thicker skin, and learn self defense.

Thanks to the civil rights movement, much of the world is now a MUCH safer place for ethnic minorities and absurd discriminatory laws like the anti-miscegenation laws (where it was not legal for two people of different races to marry, kiss, or even be in an entirely nonsexual relationship) were demolished. This was not achieved by empathetic people who cared about the safety and wellbeing of fellow humans being silent. They spoke out.

That's what activists who fight for LGBT rights are doing for LGBT people today. News of states and entire countries legalizing, or being on the verge of legalizing, gay marriage is coming out every day. It's much safer (physically and mentally) to be openly gay today than it was ever before, and homosexual people now have many other basic rights that straight people have long enjoyed (such as being allowed to visit a partner who is being hospitalized). This again wasn't achieved by silence, or expecting those who were subject to the discrimination to just toughen up. People learned, changed their minds and old attitudes, and laws were changed.

No one is saying that people should feel sorry for transgender people. We're asking that people be more thoughtful and educate themselves so as to not propagate ideas that fuel violence and discrimination. I don't think this is so much to ask, and there's a great deal of evidence that this isn't a waste of time. Attitudes do change.

As I look at it now, this thread has had 585 views. How many people who viewed this thread didn't know much about transgenderism or just never thought much about the discrimination trans people face? How many people have met a transgender person, or has a transgender person as some part of their life? If even one person has been inspired by things written here to express themselves more thoughtfully for the sake of compassion toward trans people, or has decided that making the world a kinder place for trans people is something worth doing, my time has been well spent.

I will reiterate that I don't think that what trans people experience is any more important than anyone else. Caring about the wellbeing and treatment by others of trans people is not mutually exclusive with caring about any other group. There's no limit to how much the world can be made a better, kinder, and more compassionate place. It only takes that people try.

fox said:
I see the self defense classes advice as akin to people who say that women shouldn't wear revealing clothing lest someone will try to rape them, in the case they do decide to wear revealing clothing, they should learn how to fight back if someone does try... rather than placing the responsibility on rapists to not rape.

Martial arts isn't going to be all that helpful when you have a group of violent bigots surrounding you, and especially not if they have weapons, which many people carry these days.

Personally, I think EVERYONE should know how to defend themselves, however, if you know you are going to be put in a position where it is more likely to have something happen, than they should take any and all precautions that could protect them.
I'm not saying it's right that it happens, but it does happen, so why wouldn't you want to do everything you can to make sure you will be okay?

As for classes being full of violent bigots, that's a stereotype. First, not everyone in martial arts are violent bigots. You're sitting here saying people should educate themselves and you say something like that?
Second, there are places that offer lessons to women or men or any other group of people that might like to take the class in a safe environment. Not to mention you could find private lessons. And also, they teach how to disarm a person, as well.

fox said:
I really don't think this would even be a matter of discussion if the subject at hand was, as one example, racism.

Racism is just as much an issue, IMO. There are still racist people out there, the KKK is still around, so I'm not sure why you are thinking that it
wouldn't be an issue if it was about race.

Yes, there was the civil rights movement and all that, but that took so many years and a war and a hell of a lot to make it happen. I'm not saying that people shouldn't support the LGBT community and their rights. I have friends in that community and yes, that includes transgender people. But even should it come that they get the same rights as people of a different race, that doesn't mean it will be better when it comes to violence and hate crimes.

fox said:
No one is saying that people should feel sorry for transgender people. We're asking that people be more thoughtful and educate themselves so as to not propagate ideas that fuel violence and discrimination. I don't think this is so much to ask, and there's a great deal of evidence that this isn't a waste of time. Attitudes do change.

No, it's not too much to ask, but it's not entirely realistic either. Yes, some people will come around and see it, but those that commit the hate crimes and target people in the LBGT community are very unlikely to change.

As for who is viewing the thread, it could have just as much to do with the controversy of the topic and the drama it often brings with it. Yes, they are reading it, yes, they may feel compassion and support you, but it could also easily be that they view it as a train wreck. Something they don't really want to see, but they can't look away. I am NOT calling you or this thread a train wreck, btw.

We may have our differences and drama in the past, but I wish nothing but the best for you and I hope you can be who you are without too much pain and suffering from ignorant people that can't accept that some go against the "norm" and what they feel everyone should be.

Personally, I think EVERYONE should know how to defend themselves, however, if you know you are going to be put in a position where it is more likely to have something happen, than they should take any and all precautions that could protect them.
I'm not saying it's right that it happens, but it does happen, so why wouldn't you want to do everything you can to make sure you will be okay?

I certainly didn't say that I don't want to be capable of physically defending myself if I am put in a situation where that is necessary. However, that's not going to stop me from also doing everything I can to encourage society to change so I and all the other people like me are not subject to having to defend ourselves from violence in the first place.

As for classes being full of violent bigots, that's a stereotype. First, not everyone in martial arts are violent bigots. You're sitting here saying people should educate themselves and you say something like that?
Second, there are places that offer lessons to women or men or any other group of people that might like to take the class in a safe environment. Not to mention you could find private lessons. And also, they teach how to disarm a person, as well.

That isn't what I said at all. I wasn't at any time referring to self defense classes. I said that martial arts (skills) aren't/isn't going to be all that helpful when you're (out in public, getting attacked) surrounded by a group of possibly armed violent bigots.

I'm quite short and not athletic by any means. Certainly it would be nice to learn some methods to be able to defend myself and I'm not averse to doing so, however it's not realistic to expect that I should be able to take out a group of attackers on my own, unarmed, as one person. No amount of self defense or martial arts classes are going to bring me to such immense skill that I will be able to emulate an action movie hero in defending myself.

Racism is just as much an issue, IMO. There are still racist people out there, the KKK is still around, so I'm not sure why you are thinking that it
wouldn't be an issue if it was about race.

That again isn't what I said. Of course racism is still very much an issue.

What I wrote was: "I really don't think this would even be a matter of discussion if the subject at hand was, as one example, racism."

In other words, I don't think that telling -insert group of discriminated-against people here- that what they go through is no more important than what anyone else does, and therefore that no special effort should be made to make society more tolerant of them, would be a matter of discussion if the discriminated-against group at hand were ethnic minorities being subject to racism. I don't think anyone would be as eager to say that victims of racism should just toughen up and ignore harassment. We, as a society, know better now.

Yes, there was the civil rights movement and all that, but that took so many years and a war and a hell of a lot to make it happen. I'm not saying that people shouldn't support the LGBT community and their rights. I have friends in that community and yes, that includes transgender people. But even should it come that they get the same rights as people of a different race, that doesn't mean it will be better when it comes to violence and hate crimes.

I was referring to the civil rights movement of the 1960s. A lot of positive change was made in a relatively short amount of time. Life certainly was no cakewalk immediately after rights were won on paper, however it set in motion a drastic overhaul of how society perceived and treated ethnic minorities.

I also mentioned specifically gay rights, which is a great example of how things DO change. Life IS significantly better for openly gay people today than it was even just a few years ago. Change in society's perceptions and treatment of gay people has been so rapid and extreme in such a relatively short period of time that it's jawdropping in the best possible way.

Of course discrimination still exists and changes of these nature are gradual, but that just makes it all the more worth fighting for. And these changes certainly didn't come about from people being quiet on the matter and saying nothing when others spread harmful attitudes that would have brought us toward the other direction.

No, it's not too much to ask, but it's not entirely realistic either. Yes, some people will come around and see it, but those that commit the hate crimes and target people in the LBGT community are very unlikely to change.

The outlook for LGBT rights certainly doesn't seem so grim to me. There are so many examples of positive change taking place on this front that I couldn't even begin to cover them all. Most of these changes lately are centered specifically upon homosexual matters, however rights for and positive attitudes toward transgender people are growing as well.

As for who is viewing the thread, it could have just as much to do with the controversy of the topic and the drama it often brings with it. Yes, they are reading it, yes, they may feel compassion and support you, but it could also easily be that they view it as a train wreck. Something they don't really want to see, but they can't look away. I am NOT calling you or this thread a train wreck, btw.

Even if 99% of the people who viewed this thread did so because they were expecting to be entertained by a trainwreck, the 1% who may have decided to do what they can to make the world a better place for trans people as a result of reading it makes everything I wrote well worth it for me.

I will end this post by mentioning someone who is very inspiring to me, a Tokyo municipal official named Aya Kamikawa. She is the first and for now the only transgendered person to either seek or win an elected office in Japan.

It took a lot of fighting to win her place there, but she was able to demolish the initial negative reaction to her election campaign and got voters to warm up to her.

Within a couple years of her election, hundreds of transgendered Japanese people were able to change their gender and name on official documents for the first time, due to a change in law allowing them to do so. Aya was among them.

In 2003, on the subject of her first election, she is quoted as saying:
"As long as we keep silent, nothing is going to change," she said. "We need the courage to make a society which respects diversity."

VanillaCreme said:
Try not to bicker. Opinions are opinions and leave it at that.

I think that people can exchange ideas and learn from each other if they're willing, and that was the intention behind the posts Fox and I made. I didn't feel that there was any 'bickering' going on, but us merely sharing our opinions and discussing.

DesertWolf said:
VanillaCreme said:

I think that people can exchange ideas and learn from each other if they're willing, and that was the intention behind the posts Fox and I made. I didn't feel that there was any 'bickering' going on, but us merely sharing our opinions and discussing.

Bicker with me about bickering... Disagreements can quickly turn into heated arguments. While expressing opinions is not a bad thing, threads shouldn't necessarily be turned into the going back and forth of people wanting to prove their side of the fence is greener. I'm glad that you feel there's no bickering. Let's keep it that way.

I just wanted to add for me, the ability I've gained in being able to be vocal about trans rights is a huge show of the courage I've gained about this.

Days before I made this thread, I couldn't even imagine telling anyone except my boyfriend about how I've been feeling, much less be confident enough to stand up for transgendered people in general.

On the day that I made this thread, comments dismissing my GID would likely have made torture myself with fear that maybe I'm just messed up and supposed to somehow make myself be comfortable with my assigned gender. Today I can confidently say that that isn't the case, and that my outlook for the future is overall good.

So if anyone reading this is in a situation that resembles mine in any way, please stay strong. I highly recommend to try to treat yourself the way you'd treat others in your situation. Stand up for yourself and if you can manage it, be part of activism in relation to it. It helps!

Sorry if you or anyone else perceived anything I've said as bickering. I haven't seen it that way, I've found the discussion interesting and liberating (and quite civil on the part of everyone involved). It's quite a personal subject for me so definitely I'm passionate about it (especially since it's on a thread about my own coming out), but there's no ill intent behind anything I've said. I go on forums for the purpose of discussing my own and others' opinions and I've enjoyed the opportunity to be able to do that.

Yay, I've already been intentionally misgendered multiple times. Fun. People are great.

^ what he said

also, for those few who really care about you, *you* is *you*, the rest is... details

Latest posts

Back