I'll give this a try.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackie

Reaction score
I'm not too sure what to say. I've never been really good when it comes to introductions. All I can say is that I've alwyas been the loner type. I rarely go out and when I do, I'm so nervous I can't stand it. In fact, typing this is stressing me out quite a bit. I want to find some more friends so I'm working to keep my anxiety under control.

Part of the reason why I don't socialize is because I'm ashamed about being overweight. I've always felt hideous and while I struggle to get a healthier body, I find that it's an uphill battle. I've joined sites like MySpace and LiveJournal, but I don't really get a lot of friends on there. I used to have a best friend in high school, but after I moved to another school district, she started finding reasons to avoid visiting or talking to me. Eventually, she stopped talking to me alltogether. I have another friend who's online, but she's been distant lately. I don't know what to do. i try to be a good person and friend, but I always seem to fall short of the mark. Maybe I'm just a bad friend?

I really doubt that you are a bad friend.

Welcome to the forum.

Minus said:
I really doubt that you are a bad friend.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. :)

It just feels like no matter how much I try to be there for people, it's not good enough. I also try to be interesting and talkative, but it feels like I'm the only one who actually cares about the conversation. I sometimes have to wait 15-25 minutes to get a reply from someone on IM, if I get one at all. I know that I do that sometimes, but I try not to because I think it's rude! I don't know... I've never been really good at social interactions, both online and in real life.

Hey and welcome to the forum, Mackie. Be sure and check out the chat room if you like "real time" interaction with others.

EDIT: You can find the link to the chat room on the New Members area of the forum. Look for the thread near the top, "chat room!" You will find the kink in that thread.

Hi Mackie

I understand how you feel about your weight, I'm in the same boat too!!!! I was on weight watchers and lost weight but had to give it up because I couldn't afford new clothes for every size I went down, I have to wait until I get a full time job.

Don't let your weight stop you from having friends, I thought the same too but the friend I made here in my town told me he wasn't judgemental in that way.

Go to a doctor about your anxiety and see if he can prescribe you medication, I know they don't give out sedatives being that they are restricted medicines but there might be something you can go on.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay. One small step at a time, it will only get better :) No one is perfect, everyone has problems, and I am sure your not a bad friend, but theres always room for improvement.

Mackie,

There are certain laws of life that we must acknowledge and bow to. One of these unwritten laws is that people grow apart. It just happens...please don't take this so hard that it crushes your spirit. if they wish to not speak to you anymore or be distant (for whatever reason that may be) it is your job as a GOOD friend to let them go on their merry way and go find new friends yourself!

Life is a revolving door. Things/people/stages come and go. Enjoy what you have in the moment, for I find its the only true way to ever find peace/happiness in this world.

You aren't a bad friend Mackie. You're a GOOD friend. Now make some new friends here and enjoy them! :D

-Soph

P.S. LJ and Myspace aren't good sites to try and make friends with. I've tried LJ before and couldn't find ANYONE to link to my journal and myspace I think is just full of weirdos.

I think this site is much more conducive to friend making than LJ and Myspace.

P.P.S. Welcome to ALL :)

Hello to everyone that responded and thank you!

Samba101, I'll be going to the doctor for a physical soon, but I'm not sure about being able to get medications seeing as I'm unemployed and uninsured at the moment. I will ask about it though.

To those that encouraged me to find new friends, I will try to do so, but I'm not that great at it. I'm not really socially adept.

SophiaGrace, I don't really use my MySpace. I only have it because I wanted to branch out into the internets a little more, but I only seem to be attracting bots and the people who want to have sex. I'm not interested in either, to say the least. As for LiveJournal, I'm going to keep it because there are things I like to read on it and it's a place to vent every so often. XD

Latest posts

Back