I'm tired of talking to myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue87

Reaction score
Hey all.

My name is Dustin, I'm 23, I kill time by listening to music, reading, gaming and more reading.

Alright, yeah, I admit it, I'm lonely. I have been socially awkward most of my life, and these days I pretty much am alone. I don't really talk to people at work and don't have any friends / family. soooo.. -_-;

I don't know. Really just weird even admitting to myself that I even want to talk to people. But it's kind of driving me crazy and it might be good to get some kind of social contact with the outside world. So, here I am to lurk your forums.

I feel the same Blue87....I work yet even after being there for 5 years its still uncomfortable for me. Everyone chats and laughs and I feel so awkward that I sit there and read a book. They must think I think that I am too good for them but thats not the case. I just cant interact, feel that I have nothing to offer in peoples conversations and I get so anxious that I cant utter a word anyway!
I am even the same with my family...there is only my mum and three brothers but I never see them and my mum is toxic anyway so best to steer away from that.
All I want to do is have a couple of friends...go out to laugh and chat but I know what will happen, I'll not be able to make conversation...a mental block stops me from being able to talk, I can never think of anything to talk about and will they think I am friend material? No! Who wants a friend who sits there half scared to death...shaking and unable to even chat about the weather!

So, its a case of becoming extremely sociable and comfortable in other peoples company before I ever make a friend!
I know this was most probably of no use to you...no words of comfort saying it will all be ok...as I am there too and know what it feels like and I guess I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Big hugs

Hmmm... a reoccurring message. "You are not alone."
Here you find find many others similar to yourself and/or going through/dealing with similar things.

I am currently working my way to being honest to myself. Since I was in my early teens (not that that was so long ago mind you, only 26) I have put on the mask of "the party guy". You know? That guy that always has something funny or witty to say. However that's not me. I did/do that stuff and act that way so that I don't go crazy being by myself... and the ironic/laughable thing is is that I find once I am home I feel even lonelier than I did while pretending to be someone else just to keep my myself in the "friend circle", but that's not me. The real me is the quiet book worm that says nothing that doesn't need to be said and listens to music, plays video games, watches a lot of anime, draws weird stuff, and writes weird poetry in his free time... When I am not working, lying to myself, or sleeping.

Well, You're no longer talking to yourself buddy. Welcome to "the club".

Stay frosty

Hi Dustin and welcome to the forums :)

Dustin alot of us here are in the same predicament so please just feel free to express yourself here.

I know I first started to feel lonely as a teenager, so I empathize.

Welcome to ALL! :D

blue87 said:
Hey all.

My name is Dustin, I'm 23, I kill time by listening to music, reading, gaming and more reading.

Alright, yeah, I admit it, I'm lonely. I have been socially awkward most of my life, and these days I pretty much am alone. I don't really talk to people at work and don't have any friends / family. soooo.. -_-;

I don't know. Really just weird even admitting to myself that I even want to talk to people. But it's kind of driving me crazy and it might be good to get some kind of social contact with the outside world. So, here I am to lurk your forums.

Hey, I'm also 23 and male. We should be friends.

Hello Dustin, welcome to the site! Lots of good people here to get to know. Don't hesitate to check out the chat if you just feel like talking to someone. Or send a pm to pretty much anyone and I'm sure they'd say hey back.

Welcome Dustin :)

Thanks everyone.

change 4 good said:
I feel the same Blue87....I work yet even after being there for 5 years its still uncomfortable for me. Everyone chats and laughs and I feel so awkward that I sit there and read a book. They must think I think that I am too good for them but thats not the case. I just cant interact, feel that I have nothing to offer in peoples conversations and I get so anxious that I cant utter a word anyway!
I am even the same with my family...there is only my mum and three brothers but I never see them and my mum is toxic anyway so best to steer away from that.
All I want to do is have a couple of friends...go out to laugh and chat but I know what will happen, I'll not be able to make conversation...a mental block stops me from being able to talk, I can never think of anything to talk about and will they think I am friend material? No! Who wants a friend who sits there half scared to death...shaking and unable to even chat about the weather!

So, its a case of becoming extremely sociable and comfortable in other peoples company before I ever make a friend!
I know this was most probably of no use to you...no words of comfort saying it will all be ok...as I am there too and know what it feels like and I guess I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Big hugs

Yep, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Talking to people is a real challenge for me, although I can make small talk. Once someone asks any personal questions or try to know me though, all bets are off, I lock up and eventually they give up and leave me alone about it. Thanks though, nice to know it's normal.

ssbanks2000 said:
Hmmm... a reoccurring message. "You are not alone."
Here you find find many others similar to yourself and/or going through/dealing with similar things.

I am currently working my way to being honest to myself. Since I was in my early teens (not that that was so long ago mind you, only 26) I have put on the mask of "the party guy". You know? That guy that always has something funny or witty to say. However that's not me. I did/do that stuff and act that way so that I don't go crazy being by myself... and the ironic/laughable thing is is that I find once I am home I feel even lonelier than I did while pretending to be someone else just to keep my myself in the "friend circle", but that's not me. The real me is the quiet book worm that says nothing that doesn't need to be said and listens to music, plays video games, watches a lot of anime, draws weird stuff, and writes weird poetry in his free time... When I am not working, lying to myself, or sleeping.

Well, You're no longer talking to yourself buddy. Welcome to "the club".

Stay frosty

Heh, we sound a lot alike actually.

sadface said:
Hey, I'm also 23 and male. We should be friends.

Sounds good to me.

This is why I joined up, it's like seeing myself in the forums - "wanting someone to talk to, amd tired of talking to myself." Nice to meet you Dustin and everyone else who is tired of hearing their own voices bouncing off the walls. Good to be among like minds.

Latest posts

Back