"Intelligent" People Irritate Me Sometimes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am apparently an 'intelligent' person according to some people i know although i don't consider myself intelligent the way they do, but when it get right down to it, people who 'flaunt' there so called intelligent are usually ignorant people who would be useless in most normal every day situations, when you need advice on life would you look for intelligence in the person, or would you look for wisdom and experience?

He with whom neither slander that gradually soaks into the mind, nor statements that startle like a wound in the flesh, are successful may be called intelligent indeed ~ Confucius

Just thought i'd add that in.

I won't opine on my own intelligence, I can't evaluate that myself and you can draw your own conclusions from my posts.
But I agree with Sophia on "intelligent" people who really aren't that smart after all.

My dad is very intelligent but he has no common sense or street skills. I've found these to be way more useful than book smarts.

Teresa

My best friend used to have a boyfriend who would deliberately use long words that the average person wouldn't know when he was having an argument. I always wanted to smack his lips off of his head and shout, "Hey buddy. You don't get to be snarky just because you own a Word a Day calendar!"

Who was it that said 80% of people identify themselves as above average intelligence? Something doesn't add up there.

Limlim said:
Who was it that said 80% of people identify themselves as above average intelligence? Something doesn't add up there.

Dr. Daniel Gilbert said:
“…if you are like most people, then like most people, you don’t know you’re like most people. Science has given us a lot of facts about the average person, and one of the most reliable of these facts is that the average person doesn’t see herself as average. Most students see themselves as more intelligent than the average student, most business managers see themselves as more competent than the average business manager, and most football players see themselves as having better ‘football sense’ than their teammates. Ninety percent of motorists consider themselves to be safer-than-average drivers, and 94 percent of college professors consider themselves to be better-than-average teachers..."

Stumbling on Happiness, Page 252

We are experts at self-delusion.

Self-delusion covered in a thick layer of lies, with an extra large helping of confusion, with an inferiority complex on top, mmmmmm

I think using long and complicated words in a conversation with a "normal" person can be quite patronising, even if it's not deliberate, especially if you're "intelligent" enough to be aware that there's a fair chance they won't understand you.

nerdygirl said:
My best friend used to have a boyfriend who would deliberately use long words that the average person wouldn't know when he was having an argument. I always wanted to smack his lips off of his head and shout, "Hey buddy. You don't get to be snarky just because you own a Word a Day calendar!"

HAH! I find that A LOT of people try to show off by using those! Or checking out Dictionary.com's Word of the Day xD

The word of the day is........... TOO ZETTA BAD, I DON'T CARE!!!!!

why not?

FOOLS! what gives you the right to chose a word? My legend begins in the 12th century.....

Limlim said:

There's an inequality statement for that.

Self-Opinion ≠ Truth

The funny thing is that the only people I've ever seen that were truly intelligent (from birth, i.e. geniuses and autistic kids), either couldn't give two shits from a rat's ass about it or kill themselves out of mania. So, there ya go. People often boast about the things they don't have.

Minus is right, arrogant & pompous people annoy me. :p

That being said, i thought jean-vic's arguments were quite interesting.

SophiaGrace said:
Minus is right, arrogant & pompous people annoy me. :p

That being said, i thought jean-vic's arguments were quite interesting.

Oh good, when I posted them I thought people were going to think I was one of the arrogant, pompous people. I feared a backlash of biblical proportions.

However, someone said that using large words with people who are unlikely to understand is patronising. I don't believe that's a fair assessment. I mean, personally, why should the intelligent person "dumb themselves down" rather than speaking at a level they are comfortable with (this doesn't apply if they are conscious of the other's shortcomings and deliberately uses longer words). Also, I have always found dumbing down as patronising. I trust people to understand me, and if they don;t, to ask. Most of the time, they do. They laugh at me, ask what it means and I tell them.

I like to use bigger, or what may seem like more intelligent words because it makes me feel smarter. :) When people use them all the time like a sailor swears that, to me, is when they come off pompous and arrogant. Not everyone talks like Fraser, if you listen to peoples conversations we're a pretty dumb down society. It's getting worse with texting, I see so many people who can't even string a coherent sentence together, or even make an effort to spell correctly.

Trojan said:
I think using long and complicated words in a conversation with a "normal" person can be quite patronising, even if it's not deliberate, especially if you're "intelligent" enough to be aware that there's a fair chance they won't understand you.

Indeed.

A truly intelligent person will understand it's more important to be understood than to show off academical knowledge.

Sci-Fi said:
I like to use bigger, or what may seem like more intelligent words because it makes me feel smarter. :) When people use them all the time like a sailor swears that, to me, is when they come off pompous and arrogant. Not everyone talks like Fraser, if you listen to peoples conversations we're a pretty dumb down society. It's getting worse with texting, I see so many people who can't even string a coherent sentence together, or even make an effort to spell correctly.

Ok, I have to admit it: I have a weakness for Frasier and his way of speaking :D

Same thing with the narrator of the original Twilight Zone series.

Sci-Fi said:
I like to use bigger, or what may seem like more intelligent words because it makes me feel smarter. :)

Mmmm...fancy words turn me on :D My job can be a little dry and boring sometimes. I used to have to write very long narrative reports and I would throw in obscure words here and there just for shits and giggles. I put "comport" in an email yesterday. Hopefully the reader didn't just think I'm bat-honeysuckle crazy. :D
Am I totally off topic here? Sorry, Sophia! :)

Teresa

I'm more irritated by douchey morons than I am by douchey intellectuals.

Maybe I fall into the latter, because I really don't know much of anything and have trouble learning new stuff.

SophiaGrace said:
I am writing this thread more as something for the reader to ponder and respond to, than as an actual complaint, because it really isn't that big of a deal. :p

Sometimes intelligent people irritate me.

I have noticed that when people consider themselves intelligent that sometimes they will insult you for your "lack of intelligence".

For example, I was talking about a specific subject with a person online and they said to me "Don't even pretend that you know more than I do, because I KNOW i know more than you do on this subject."

and I was like "whoa, insulting a little?"

Then I blocked them. :p Problem solved. :p

I mean, I do love intelligent people, just as long as they don't say stuff to me like "don't strain yourself trying to understand what I just said to you." or "do you EVER think you will understand this?"

Truly intelligent people don't have to prove their intelligence, it just exists. At least this is what I think. :p

"Intelligent" people can do the dumbest things. And vice versa.;)

Latest posts

Back