"Intelligent" People Irritate Me Sometimes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Lorre said:
Sci-Fi said:
I like to use bigger, or what may seem like more intelligent words because it makes me feel smarter. :) When people use them all the time like a sailor swears that, to me, is when they come off pompous and arrogant. Not everyone talks like Fraser, if you listen to peoples conversations we're a pretty dumb down society. It's getting worse with texting, I see so many people who can't even string a coherent sentence together, or even make an effort to spell correctly.

Ok, I have to admit it: I have a weakness for Frasier and his way of speaking :D

Same thing with the narrator of the original Twilight Zone series.

Rod Serling! :D isn't he awesome (goo)

another way of looking at ''dumbing down'' that's such a harsh word. In filipino, we have the term ''makibagay'' which basically means to accommodate or/and adjust. It might probably have stemmed down the colonial times but in its simplest sense, it's the idea of being able to adjust yourself according to the people/person you are talking to. Not to a point of speaking differently to what you are used to or doing things you don't want to do but finding a common ground and ensuring that the people you are interacting are comfortable with the interaction.

Besides not knowing what a fancy word means is not a sign of daftness, but merely suggest you've not encountered that word before. So I guess it is better to use common terms so more people can understand you, specially when speaking to people you don't know that well.

floffyschneeman said:
Besides not knowing what a fancy word means is not a sign of daftness, but merely suggest you've not encountered that word before. So I guess it is better to use common terms so more people can understand you, specially when speaking to people you don't know that well.

LOL@daftness ^^

Trojan said:
floffyschneeman said:

LOL@daftness ^^

Yeah, I got it from someone who always made me feel the word ¬¬

Ignorance is not stupidity.

I use obscure words at times, but that is just because it is more appropriate to the situation. Communication is ultimately the most important aspect of language.

I recall a co-worker who would use "big words" and then shortly after, pause, and say "Do you know what that word means?" and then would define it.

He's a University student that has his head so far up his ass.

However, I have found that plenty of "book-smart" people have made the most idiotic decisions.

I've met a lot of people that are not educated/ do not have the largest vocabulary - but they are typically more "down-to-earth" and are able to share their knowledge learned through experiences which I find more interesting - than someone who sticks irrelevant facts pulled out from a book in a random conversation to prove their wealth of knowledge.

from dictionary.com

–noun
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3. the faculty of understanding.

I don't get why relationships is in that definition, I think it's pretty obvious that on a whole humanity doesn't really have a firm grasp on relationships. If we did we wouldn't lie, cheat, betray, or screw them up. But we do.

Intelligence doesn't bother me in the least. It's more of people who try to act like they know everything, and who have an answer for everything. They're ignorant and arrogant, and I try my best to ignore them.

Jilted John said:
So I'm intelligent,and still f**ked?

"It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value. " - Stephen Hawking

Of course, he might not be the most intelligent by definition of "relationships", nonetheless.

Larry King: What, Professor, puzzles you the most? What do you think about the most?

Stephen Hawkings: Women.

intelligent people are much more likely to be killed or cause others harm.

Wisdom is not the same as intelligence and intelligence can be quite relative.

some people are intellectuals. some intellectuals like to be right all the time. and others,if they are lucky, become tempered with the wisdom of experience and learn to treasure the value in being wrong or simply that not everything is black and white.

anywho, kudos sophie, having a big head isn't the same has having big brains :) Seems like you handled that situation very tactfully.

yesm said:

Wisdom is not the same as intelligence and intelligence can be quite relative.

some people are intellectuals. some intellectuals like to be right all the time. and others,if they are lucky, become tempered with the wisdom of experience and learn to treasure the value in being wrong or simply that not everything is black and white.

anywho, kudos sophie, having a big head isn't the same has having big brains :) Seems like you handled that situation very tactfully.

+1 :)

I have met some intelligent people in my time, they obviously all don't fit this, but they may know a lot of text book things, but they don't know too well in how to interact with people, they lose out in the long run as they will lose a lot of possible new lovely friends who know what the 'real' world is really all about.

yesm said:
I'll like to know the basis of your assertion there.

As far as I know, there is no study correlating intelligence with increased mortality from violence per se, or with increased violent behavior; indeed, the only study I found that was partially relevant was the link between low-intelligence, alcohol and violence. That suggests the opposite.

On the other hand, there is an interesting and consistent link between intelligence and suicide rate; the article does a far better job of elucidating the findings, but I'd like to point out the particular correlation between high education/low intelligence with high suicide rates as interesting.

Twinkle said:
I have met some intelligent people in my time, they obviously all don't fit this, but they may know a lot of text book things, but they don't know too well in how to interact with people, they lose out in the long run as they will lose a lot of possible new lovely friends who know what the 'real' world is really all about.

And yet, the streetwise people don't help the intelligent people to fit in. Hence, this place, and hence numerous people being unsatisfied with this place.

You can't just deliver street-smarts to someone. That's the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

Latest posts

Back