"Intelligent" People Irritate Me Sometimes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Limlim said:
They're so dry though! There's so much better recent fantasy out there. Hell even overrated Wheel of Time is better than Tolken imo, and that's saying a lot!

You blaspheme, flame of Udun.

That said, Wheel of Time is epic formulaic fail after the first book; and I really did try to like it, but it was pretty obvious that it was meandering into nowhere except to add more words to pulp with appropriate hints of boobage and rape for tiltilation and 'strong' female characters defined by being virtually identical to each other in personality.

Song of Fire and Ice is far better for an overall grimdark fantasy series. It does not merely kill sacred cows as much as pen them up in a small area and massacre them with a 50 caliber machine gun in the hands of a gunner with clinical sadism.

dk1967 said:
sitting in the waiting area for jury duty put me in a less than good mood

This made me laugh because I was the jury duty list a few weeks ago.

I love the LotR movies, myself, and no, I haven't read the book yet, though it's sitting on my shelf. Of course, my excuse is that I am female (so then probably an ignorant whore who wouldn't understand the subtleties of Tolkein *snort*).

Pedantic twats and pedantic twats not matter then genre, whether it be "jazz purists," "MMA vs. traditional martial arts" or "Tolkein devotees vs. everyone else.

IgnoredOne said:
Hey, they're awesome books.

And being one of those fans and being part of the Inklings forum(almost certainly where you went to), you have to understand that we've invested decades of our life and many of us took it as a venture into literature as a whole thanks to Tolkien(lesser references to Howard and Lovecraft are also usually present). The movies are pleasant enough action fare, though. Books, though, are a spiritual experience and its evident how we will react with the same fury as any insulted parish member.

A fine example of what I was referencing in my orig post.
(No, it was not the forum you reference but clearly they're all the same IMO.)

You might have done your group better justice by apologizing for their condescending arrogant behavior instead of making excuses.
(And btw, nobody "has to understand" anything about this.)

Latest posts

Back