"Intelligent" People Irritate Me Sometimes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pheenix said:
You can't just deliver street-smarts to someone. That's the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

No, but you can help people. Make an effort with them, introduce them to your friends, help them to fit in. Don't just cast them off because they're lacking in social skills.

And street smarts isn't wisdom. Sorry, but it just isn't. Wisdom encompasses life as a whole. Street smarts doesn't. Unless you class it as worldly wisdom, which isn't really wisdom at all. It's just experience.

SophiaGrace said:
Truly intelligent people don't have to prove their intelligence, it just exists.

I feel like that was a little nugget of wisdom to be cherished when dealing with self proclaimed "intelligent" people... lol

VideoVidiVisum said:
SophiaGrace said:
Truly intelligent people don't have to prove their intelligence, it just exists.

I feel like that was a little nugget of wisdom to be cherished when dealing with self proclaimed "intelligent" people... lol

I never even try to prove it....

jean-vic said:
Pheenix said:
You can't just deliver street-smarts to someone. That's the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

No, but you can help people. Make an effort with them, introduce them to your friends, help them to fit in. Don't just cast them off because they're lacking in social skills.

And street smarts isn't wisdom. Sorry, but it just isn't. Wisdom encompasses life as a whole. Street smarts doesn't. Unless you class it as worldly wisdom, which isn't really wisdom at all. It's just experience.

A case of personal definitions, I guess.

You accept people based on whether you feel incentive to hang out with them, intelligent or not. But if you've been ostracized because of intelligence, I guess yeah, that sucks.

Certain smarties always feel the need to correct me
th_Davi.png

condemnedsoul666 said:
VideoVidiVisum said:
condemnedsoul666 said:
I never even try to prove it....

Well you don't need to, you are obviously very intelligent. =P

Thanks for the compliment, it was diamond XD

robot said:
Certain smarties always feel the need to correct me
th_Davi.png

You forgot punctuation. XD

lmao I love you.

PieBeNice said:
It's only irritating when people go on about IQ.

Oh Good Lord, yes. I dated a guy who couldn't stop talking about how he was a member of Mensa. SERIOUSLY, he would work that into just about every conversation. It was his one true talent.

All things considered, despite his "staggering IQ" (note the sarcasm), he was kind of a moron and a total ******. Oh and amazingly arrogant, too.

IgnoredOne said:
Limlim said:
Who was it that said 80% of people identify themselves as above average intelligence? Something doesn't add up there.

Dr. Daniel Gilbert said:
“…if you are like most people, then like most people, you don’t know you’re like most people. Science has given us a lot of facts about the average person, and one of the most reliable of these facts is that the average person doesn’t see herself as average. Most students see themselves as more intelligent than the average student, most business managers see themselves as more competent than the average business manager, and most football players see themselves as having better ‘football sense’ than their teammates. Ninety percent of motorists consider themselves to be safer-than-average drivers, and 94 percent of college professors consider themselves to be better-than-average teachers..."

Stumbling on Happiness, Page 252

We are experts at self-delusion.

As Garrison Keillor says, "...and all the children are above average." Always makes me laugh.

Wow, its uncanny that I should stumble upon this thread after what I experienced last week...I can attest that I have found by far the most arrogant elitist group of people known to man...they're called TOLKIEN FANS.

I never read "The Lord of the Rings" but I fell in love with the movies. For the past decade I have been searching for a forum where I could discuss the films, ask questions, etc., but there is no such group because anyone who hasn't read the books is stupid (ditto foranyone who doesn't agree that the movies sucked).

I made one final attempt to join a LOTR forum and once again I have left in disgust. This forum has one tiny section for discussing the movies (because as we all know, the movies sucked, right?), and last week one of the Resident Experts posted a huge rant about how they "just don't get it" why so many people love these movies when it is a fact that they were awful (and he uses a lot of condescending terms like "ignorant"), and another one responded about how it was all about appealing to the inferior demographic that prefers pop music over classical.

Well I of course reacted badly to this (sitting in the waiting area for jury duty put me in a less than good mood), basically saying "I don't get people who think the whole world has to agree with them" and "now go ahead and roll your superior eyes at this dimwit who listens to pop music." I immediately received a pm from the group who was offended by ME! I said not to worry, I'm logging out and never coming back.

If I thought it would make a difference I'd go back and try to explain that I'm sick and tired of being told my opinions and feelings are irrelevant because I am "trailer trash" in their world. But instead I'm just removing the site from my bookmarks.

LotR eltiists, lmao! Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but the story is kind of funny :p

By the way, I read the main books and every side books of the LotR universe and let me tell you the films are just as good. (except for the lack of Tom Bombadil :( but otherwise the movies are great).

dk1967 said:
Wow, its uncanny that I should stumble upon this thread after what I experienced last week...I can attest that I have found by far the most arrogant elitist group of people known to man...they're called TOLKIEN FANS.

Hey, they're awesome books.

And being one of those fans and being part of the Inklings forum(almost certainly where you went to), you have to understand that we've invested decades of our life and many of us took it as a venture into literature as a whole thanks to Tolkien(lesser references to Howard and Lovecraft are also usually present). The movies are pleasant enough action fare, though. Books, though, are a spiritual experience and its evident how we will react with the same fury as any insulted parish member.

They're so dry though! There's so much better recent fantasy out there. Hell even overrated Wheel of Time is better than Tolken imo, and that's saying a lot!

Latest posts

Back