it seems Im a step behind everyone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fvantom

Reaction score
Im really sick of this, everyone I talk to seems to have a bunch of really good friends, yet Im always the one that they talk to "every now and then" like I have to work harder than everyone else to be considered a good friend.

You guys say real friends are rare but everywhere I look, I see people with at least one really close best friend, usually more, and all I have are common aqcuaintances that I have the "honor" to see once every now and then.

ps. 666th XD

I can really relate to this. I even had a "good" friend of mine talk to me on the phone after we hadn't spoken for ages and he said something like "Well, you know you're the guy I go to once I've seen everyone else".

He was joking apparently, but it didn't seem particularly funny seeing how true it was :rolleyes:

Similarly, people seem to like me, go out of their way to chat and joke around with me etc. etc. but they never bother to invite me to social functions. Whether it's because I don't ask about that stuff or what, I don't know.

As a result it feels like 95% of the people I meet are sort of shallow acquaintances that I can get along well with but will never really know "better".

I would uphold that really genuine friends are rare though. I don't think all these "happy" people you see are best buds. The reason is that those "good" friends they have quite often change their loyalty at the drop of a hat, as I once found out with someone I considered my best friend.

Well, first of all - I don't really "grade" my friends into "oh, he's a really good friend, he's my best friend.. and that's just somebody I know" or anything like that. There are simply contacts for every ocassion, and while it is true that it's really hard nowadays to find loyal friends, there ARE still people out there who aren't completely shallow.
As Solitary above said, I also rarely get invited to any social functions, but I'm kind of okay with it :) If people would rather not have me, I'd rather not be there at all. I know that there ARE people who do appreciate me, and are willing to put some effort into maintaining contact, yet there will always be those people who are just "acquaintances", and often nothing more. That's fine too. Sooner or later you'll always come across somebody who actually cares, it just may take some time.

I think the "true friends are rare" statement is nothing less than the truth. True friends are rare. A lot of people seem to have an easy time hanging out with others, though, even though they aren't close friends. I'm useless at that, and I haven't been able to make any new friends in a couple of years. The ones that I spend time with, when I do it, are my three close 9th grade friends - three years ago, that is. One of them I'm really close with. I have problems being alone with her as well though, from time to time.

Right now, I don't know how to fix it. How the frick can you fix not being able to come up with anything fun or intereseting to say, at all? An incurable disease, that's what I feel like I'm having. I'd have no close friends, were it not for the one's I've already gotten a long time ago.

None the less, I think the condition for developing some close friendships are those very acquaintances. Have them, and let the rest come naturally (even if you have to make an active effort). So, perhaps you could take that first necessary step in order to go beyond acquaintedness. Suggest to meet up and do something? I'd do it, if I actually had someone's phone number to call.

Very often I feel the same way, Fvantom. As if everyone is better and smarter than me at every turn. As if everyone is more competent in grasping basic concepts and formulas and has at least a few people in their life they could consider true friends or someone to love. Sometimes I just feel as if most people I'm around in a social environment, such as a classroom or even on this forum, are merely superior to me. Whether it be true or pessimism, the way I deal with this is to simply forget about everyone else and mind my own way of life.

Improvement is comparing and contrasting against yourself, not against others. Focus on that; never let the success of others become an impediment to your own.

is it possible that these people that you associate with but they never seem to want to make the extra effort do that because they just don't think you are interested in hanging out on your own time?

It's all about common interest really and how much social intelligence you have.

If flirting doesn't come natural to you. Or if you have trouble pulling crap out of your head to spew from your mouth so others can digest it and find things to relate to. I mean the list could go on, but there is a key set of requirements to acquire a "group" of friends.

Finding a "best" friend also has a lot to do with synchronicity and being in an environment with at least a hundred or so different people on a daily basis.

If I recall correctly in high school, I had 2 best friends. The first one lasted for about one year, then I went on to the next one. It was just a matter of bumping into somebody. However I was in, keyword here, "high school". Then you can MAYBE go on to something like college and have an equal base of people to work with.

Once you get beyond all that crap basically you'll find such opportunities just don't exist anymore. You get older, people find their place in life.

Established social groups are really nothing more than people who are taking comfort in each other. ganging up as a group to fight the same feeling your talking about. So that with-in their social group they are safe from that feeling. So it's very difficult depending on the type of person you are to "get into" a group that you may only be able to observe from the outside.

You have to have a "reason" or better a "justification" for invading their safety. In much the same way you might want to bear gifts to a neighboring tribe to improve good relations with them.

So you have to think in terms of, what do I have that this group doesn't have? Well the group has people already obviously or it wouldn't be a group.

I think a better approach would be to get involved in group activities. It can seem like a daunting task at first, but there are tons of em out their if you search hard enough. That way your not really invading anyone's security. Your putting yourself in a position to be sought out because people are seeking to create and form social bonds, rather than exclude people who are different out of fears, social anxieties, and differences.

There's church if your churchy, voulunteer programs, the gym,... i dunno... tons of honeysuckle...

Personally for me... I have 1 friend left over from highschool who I never see anymore, but talk to occasionally. A small hand full of friends I met from my last most secure job I've held. And I made a bunch of aquaintances from my last job, but none of them gave enough of a honeysuckle to stick around as true friends.

I haven't had physical contact with what I'd call a friend in over a year now and that's nothing new to me. Half the time I find the people I do interact with just make me feel shittier than I did when I was alone anyway.

***you might not realize you are a difficult person to approach*** this is something I'm learning about myself. I'm always very deeply entrenched in thought, even in public... and I think it makes me a difficult person to strike up casual conversation with. People feel like they are interrupting some terribly important conversation I'm having with myself, lol... which might not be far from the truth.

Don't resent people, though, people are stupid. That's fact. Persons, however, if your lucky enough to really get to know a person can be quite insightful.

I remember just the other day walking around on campus looking at people just sitting around and having conversations. All the while wishing I could have some one to just sit down with and shoot the breeze with, but then I remember (your dead inside and have lived most of your life already... you'd probably be doing that if you actually had anything to say anymore, :( )... heh...

Don't be resentful though, I'm thankful for even the few minutes I get to talk to people over a cigarette.

I think that because we live in such a competitive world real friendships are indeed nonexistent. We are busy to build resumes and to compete. Friends invite each other to show what are their latest acquisitions.
Then, another issue is related to the superficiality and shallowness that are so much disseminated by media. We don't see real friendships on TV shows anymore. Friendships between two persons. Friendships are presented in large groups; but the problem is that one will never develop a meaningful friendships in large groups. One needs one on one conversations and time spent together to really get to know his friend..
As we say in my country "history makes the friendship"

Sometimes I want to believe friendship is overrated or nonexistent. But I think everyone needs a friend, which is why many of us are here. Someone to trust and confide in, to laugh with and share a unspoken understanding. Of course I don't know what that feels like, but I imagine it is very nice.

I feel like I am several steps behind humanity on this particular issue. I see people with friends and significant others and I wonder if or how this could happen to me. And I do try. But it's exhausting, is it not? All the best to everyone.

LoneHistoric said:
Sometimes I want to believe friendship is overrated or nonexistent. But I think everyone needs a friend, which is why many of us are here. Someone to trust and confide in, to laugh with and share a unspoken understanding. Of course I don't know what that feels like, but I imagine it is very nice.

I feel like I am several steps behind humanity on this particular issue. I see people with friends and significant others and I wonder if or how this could happen to me. And I do try. But it's exhausting, is it not? All the best to everyone.

I think about that as well.

I just try to remain confident and happy.

Latest posts

Back