Kids names?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annik

Reaction score
Does anyone think about this? Have them all picked out? I guess I'm talking here to the people who don't have children because its probably a sensible thing to have thought of if you do! Can't be shouting "oi you" forever. :p

I went through a stage of wanting to call any possible offspring Chorlton (boy), Wensleydale (boy) or Bethesda (girl) much to the bemusement of everyone I told. Ok bit left field but nothing by today's standards and thinking about it "Wensleydale" could be shortened to "Dale" and "Bethesda" to "Beth". Maybe I'd have been opening them up to a lifetime of bullying thing is it doesn't much matter what you name hypothetical children! and I think I've passed through this phase anyway you may be glad to hear.

What you tend to forget in this situation, or at least I do! is that when it comes to naming actual children the other person involved may also have some ideas and you won't be able to get it all you're own way!

I have sometimes thought of what kind of names I could give for my children someday. :shy:

I've played with the idea sometimes, though I have a real hard time relating to it. Usually once I start to ponder on it, I just drift into thinking of possible other names for myself instead :p

I think the planning goes out the window a lot! My sisters friend just blurted one out while under the gas still and thats what they called their daughter! All the planned ones were forgotten.

Svoboda. Anna. Karenina. Natasha. Misha. Nastya. Katya. Liubov. Dasha/Dysha.

Notice that they're all girls' names.

I don't want a son.

For a girl, I would consider Emily, Victoria, Michelle, Elena, or Lauren.

For a boy, it would be Lance, Norman, Janick, James, or Glenn.

Or just about any name that would fit soundly with my surname :shy:

I had all sorts of names in mind, but when my daughter was born, her name wasn't anything like any of them.

Badjedidude said:
Svoboda. Anna. Karenina. Natasha. Misha. Nastya. Katya. Liubov. Dasha/Dysha.

Notice that they're all girls' names.

I don't want a son.

I did this as well. Always wanted a girl, so I always had 2 names I really liked.
Of course I had 2 boys, and they didn't end up getting named until we were leaving the hospital to take them home. lol

The only thing I could say about naming kids is be careful naming real children, as opposed to hypothetical ones. My childhood was a living hell because of my first name. Screwy name tied to an introvert without people skills... it's a killer.

tedgresham said:
The only thing I could say about naming kids is be careful naming real children, as opposed to hypothetical ones. My childhood was a living hell because of my first name. Screwy name tied to an introvert without people skills... it's a killer.

See, now I really just HAVE to know your first name. That was a dirty rotten thing for you to do if you didn't plan to tell us. :club:
lol

Callie said:
tedgresham said:

See, now I really just HAVE to know your first name. That was a dirty rotten thing for you to do if you didn't plan to tell us. :club:
lol
Ha. Now if I tell it what kind of grief will I get? My first name is... drum roll... Hubert. And don't say anything. There are so many ways to fresia that name up it ain't funny. Really, it's totally not funny, except to the bullies that loved to give me hell.

My mom named me from an uncle who hated that name. Never figured that one out. My uncle NEVER used it. She may as well have named me Sue.

I picked up a nick name, Teddy Bear, in the Air Force. I kept it, it shortened to Teddy and then Ted. Everybody who knows me from before then use my first name and everybody I met after then knows me as Ted. I am so far removed in views/personality/attitude from the kid that suffered from that name I even feel weird using it. I have to use my real name at the VA. I cringe.

Love your kids. Name them well. We didn't name our kids, they are adopted, but their names are ok, except I'm not crazy that my boy is named after a country star: Trace Adkins. My daughter's name is "Liberty," Libby for short, and fits her well.

tedgresham said:
Callie said:
tedgresham said:

lol
Ha. Now if I tell it what kind of grief will I get? My first name is... drum roll... Hubert. And don't say anything. There are so many ways to fresia that name up it ain't funny. Really, it's totally not funny, except to the bullies that loved to give me hell.

My mom named me from an uncle who hated that name. Never figured that one out. My uncle NEVER used it. She may as well have named me Sue.

I picked up a nick name, Teddy Bear, in the Air Force. I kept it, it shortened to Teddy and then Ted. Everybody who knows me from before then use my first name and everybody I met after then knows me as Ted. I am so far removed in views/personality/attitude from the kid that suffered from that name I even feel weird using it. I have to use my real name at the VA. I cringe.

Love your kids. Name them well. We didn't name our kids, they are adopted, but their names are ok, except I'm not crazy that my boy is named after a country star: Trace Adkins. My daughter's name is "Liberty," Libby for short, and fits her well.

I once dated a guy named Harold. Hurbert isn't that bad, IMO.

My youngest son has a very unique name. People either love it or hate it, there's no in between, it seems. I had one person tell me they were going to call him by his middle name, I told him not to call him at all in that case. lol.
My oldest son, I hate his legal name, but we couldn't decide so he was named after his father and he has a nickname he goes by for everything other than legal purposes, so we compromised on that front.

Callie said:

My youngest son has a very unique name. People either love it or hate it, there's no in between, it seems. I had one person tell me they were going to call him by his middle name, I told him not to call him at all in that case. lol.
My oldest son, I hate his legal name, but we couldn't decide so he was named after his father and he has a nickname he goes by for everything other than legal purposes, so we compromised on that front.

It's a rather different world these days, I think, than it was way back then, early sixties. Personality and disposition has something to do with it, too. My head was all screwed up and I had no self-confidence, and I was fat. Actually, I was more pudgy than obese, but it was enough to catch hell for. Looking back I probably would have been the butt of jokes even if I'd been called John, or went by my middle name, James. Kids can be the cruelest of people. Still, the name made me an easy target.

In third grade my teacher mispronounced my name and her mispronunciation was worse. That stuck and I had to live with it for a decade. No, I won't say that name, it still makes me sick at my stomach. I went to a redneck bigoted school, too, where there were no minorities. The mini-bigots did not have anybody else to target but fat kids with stupid names. Their parents got their jollies with the "N" word. The school escaped segregation because it was a rural district no black family would dare move into the district. I have no doubt they'd been burned out if they tried. The sad thing is, that school is STILL a white flight school with very few minority students. The more things change the more they stay the same.

tedgresham said:
Callie said:

It's a rather different world these days, I think, than it was way back then, early sixties. Personality and disposition has something to do with it, too. My head was all screwed up and I had no self-confidence, and I was fat. Actually, I was more pudgy than obese, but it was enough to catch hell for. Looking back I probably would have been the butt of jokes even if I'd been called John, or went by my middle name, James. Kids can be the cruelest of people. Still, the name made me an easy target.

In third grade my teacher mispronounced my name and her mispronunciation was worse. That stuck and I had to live with it for a decade. No, I won't say that name, it still makes me sick at my stomach. I went to a redneck bigoted school, too, where there were no minorities. The mini-bigots did not have anybody else to target but fat kids with stupid names. Their parents got their jollies with the "N" word. The school escaped segregation because it was a rural district no black family would dare move into the district. I have no doubt they'd been burned out if they tried. The sad thing is, that school is STILL a white flight school with very few minority students. The more things change the more they stay the same.

How sad to hear that you've had such a rough time growing up (you seem to have experienced it like that anyway). I was going to write that I agree with Callie - Hubert isn't that bad, in my opinion! - but of course, it all comes down to your own experience of it. Children are freakishly imaginative when it comes to bullying - just everything seems to go, It can be such simple things though, so perhaps imaginative isn't the right word... but inventive at least. I have the most normal name, so the boys teasing me (whom I teased back, so no "real" bullying there, but still neither fun nor good for the self-esteem, looking in hindsight), they simply turned it backwards, and had a go at that whenever they'd want to psyche me. Stupid as ever, but good for reaching the goal non the less. Feels quit good to be past all of that.

tedgresham said:

I can completely see what you're saying. I mean I'd feel awful if I gave my kiddies names that meant they were picked on. I've also thought it weird that the thing you have to go by your whole life someone else gives you. Mind you I have funny views on birthdays too...back to the point anyway. Unfortunately though I don't think you have to really give a kid a weird name for them to be picked on anything is fair game. :(

Ak5 said:
Um, I still don't want children. Yet I think about the process, everyday.

:club:

Hmm I'd say that's pretty much the healthy response for you're age! :)

Ak5 said:
Um, I still don't want children. Yet I think about the process, everyday.

:club:

Keep it in your pants my young padawan. :p

I've always thought of very odd names for children.

I might name a boy Sly or a girl Nike.

But I'll deal with this when/if it happens. :D

Latest posts

Back