Living in a different time

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celtic Britain for me. Its just the girls were prettier back then  :D (so an old roman told me)

Celt said:
Celtic Britain for me. Its just the girls were prettier back then  :D (so an old roman told me)

That realy must have been an old man :p, I guess every time period has something to offer, pretty girls seems like as good an excuse as any :)

iateallthepies said:
My mother always believed that she had a past life and felt "unsettled " in her life in the present. Me, i don't know.
I am a history buff and fascinated by victorian London, so, I guess I would go back  to Autumn of 1888, just to find out who Jack the ripper was.  I always suspected it was Winnie the poo as they both have the same middle name. coincidence?

Victorian London would be the last place I'd want to visit. British history seems especially brutal and gory; not to mention the weather alone making you want to croak it. 
lol.gif

Bubblebeam said:
iateallthepies said:
My mother always believed that she had a past life and felt "unsettled " in her life in the present. Me, i don't know.
I am a history buff and fascinated by victorian London, so, I guess I would go back  to Autumn of 1888, just to find out who Jack the ripper was.  I always suspected it was Winnie the poo as they both have the same middle name. coincidence?

Victorian London would be the last place I'd want to visit. British history seems especially brutal and gory; not to mention the weather alone making you want to croak it. 
lol.gif

You're biased coz you're British :p

19th century Italy. Somewhere in the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
Beautiful and culturally unique region, though not that developed as most of Europe of that time.

Paraiyar said:
Wouldn't mind experiencing the Wild West.

As a caucasion male I guess that could be something special indeed

Augusto said:
Beautiful and culturally unique region, though not that developed as most of Europe of that time.

Less developed isn't always a bad thing, and I bet the weather is pretty nice there also!

MisterLonely said:
Augusto said:

Less developed isn't always a bad thing, and I bet the weather is pretty nice there also!

I fully agree with you :) In fact I'd prefer what is now "under developed" place to live rather than "high tech and modern".
Unfortunately, for that region it was a root of two bad consequences - most of Italian Americans are from the south, not from north or center, they fled it due to unemployment and hunger, and also it's a birthplace of Mafia, for the same reasons...

I'm not sure about wanting to live in a different time,I think we're lucky with what we have now and the medical knowledge that we have. However,I sometimes feel it would be nice to travel back in time to see particular people in concert,that I will now never get to see.

Serephina said:
I'm not sure about wanting to live in a different time,I think we're lucky with what we have now and the medical knowledge that we have. However,I sometimes feel it would be nice to travel back in time to see particular people in concert,that I will now never get to see.

Aah yes, the travelling tourist type, I absolutly get that! So many great and creative minds have been lost at a way to young age, I couldn't even imagine how many more hits Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain or Amy Winehouse would have produced if they didn't succumb to their own inner demons...

Maybe thats not the crowd you would visit though, but you get the idea :).

People not being willing to socialize isn't entirely new.

Before cellphones and the internet, people willingly sacrificed being social by spending time in front of the television instead, to the point where they planned their weeks around the programming schedule.

That said, I feel a bit out of place in our times for some reason. But that has a lot to do with values I have that are important to me, that most people don't care about at all.

Oldyoung said:
People not being willing to socialize isn't entirely new.

Before cellphones and the internet, people willingly sacrificed being social by spending time in front of the television instead, to the point where they planned their weeks around the programming schedule.

That said, I feel a bit out of place in our times for some reason. But that has a lot to do with values I have that are important to me, that most people don't care about at all.

Hi Oldyoung! Could you tell what are your values? I think we may have a lot in common.

MisterLonely said:
Have you ever felt like you would have done better in a different time and/or age?

I bring this up because lately i've grown almost hatefull of social media! what is ment to be a tool to connect people is just making it harder for me to connect to actual people.

I was at a café not to long ago and looking to strike up a conversation, I had just finished a bike trek of 40km on my mountainbike and taking a breather and a drink, but all around me everyone was obsessed with their phones, and they never seem to be put down long enough for me to actually get through, I'd make some smalltalk about the weather, about what a nice little terras we're on (that takes actual effort for me by the way), and pling!!! facebook or whatsapp wants some attention. and you just sit there feeling stupid and after a minute orso even intrusive! So i move back to me seat with my drink and forget about it.

I don't get the world today, i'd like to have been a teenager in the 70's I think i would have fit in better, somehow it feels like things were easier back then without mobiles and internet.

How about you ?

You sound like an interesting dude. That's awesome that you can complete a bike trek of 40km. For some reason - I have trouble biking. I have good balance for skiing and snowboarding but I can't ride a bike. I wish I could get the hang of it...it looks fun.

I don't think a former time would've been better for me - but I definitely would not want to live in a future time because of the social media obsession and people's increasingly lack of empathy for others.

I hate social media. I know it's what you make of it, but I have tried joining in but I can't stand how obsessed everyone seems to be with themselves, worshiping celebrities, "young rich kids on instagram", winning popularity contests etc. Online, people also tend to have a tendency to "share their opinions" which are often more aggressive and cruel than they would in-person. Imagine my surprise to see people spewing racist, hateful, bullying, death/ rape threats, comments at others for disagreeing on a topic (usually political). Nowdays, it seems that so many people are incapable of having a healthy debate online without resulting in personal attacks. When people are being ******** they're quick to pull "deal with it" instead of realizing that they are in fact, ********, and a little kindness goes a long way. The internet seems to be a meaner place than when I first joined. It seems as if a large group of young people are on edge or angrier.

When I'm out with people, they are constantly on their phones chatting to other people. As a female in my late-20s when I mention that I don't like/ use Facebook I get weird reactions from my age group. It's an expectation to have social media where I live (big city, yo).

I found that there are so many community events that I'm interested in - but they're all on social media. I've ended up signing up a secret account just solely for the purpose of being able to find out information for these events. It's all a bit annoying to me to have to be part of FB's community. 

The only thing I've found it useful for is meeting family members that I didn't know about, but social media makes me feel like an outsider looking in...if that makes sense. Blah!

One thing that makes me warm and fuzzy from FB is that Mark Zuckerberg and his wife are donating a large fortune to helping eliminate childhood diseases.

Northern Lights said:
You sound like an interesting dude. That's awesome that you can complete a bike trek of 40km. For some reason - I have trouble biking. I have good balance for skiing and snowboarding but I can't ride a bike. I wish I could get the hang of it...it looks fun.

Being Dutch I was practically raised on a bike, I'd teach you if I could!, don't even remember how old I was when I learned to ride, it was definetly before my 5th birthday though, because I remember I wasn't in school yet. I'd love to do some snowboarding or skiing sometime, I'd probably break something thogh, or multiple somethings... Not here in the Netherlands though, never enough snow here, and when there is, we're still lacking hills :p

I don't think a former time would've been better for me - but I definitely would not want to live in a future time because of the social media obsession and people's increasingly lack of empathy for others.

I think we live in a time where social media is hyped to be greatest since sliced bread, seems almost unbelievable but it will pass... when however I can't say

I hate social media. I know it's what you make of it, but I have tried joining in but I can't stand how obsessed everyone seems to be with themselves, worshiping celebrities, "young rich kids on instagram", winning popularity contests etc. Online, people also tend to have a tendency to "share their opinions" which are often more aggressive and cruel than they would in-person. Imagine my surprise to see people spewing racist, hateful, bullying, death/ rape threats,  comments at others for disagreeing on a topic (usually political). Nowdays, it seems that so many people are incapable of having a healthy debate online without resulting in personal attacks. When people are being ******** they're quick to pull "deal with it" instead of realizing that they are in fact, ********, and a little kindness goes a long way. The internet seems to be a meaner place than when I first joined. It seems as if a large group of young people are on edge or angrier.

I think young people have allot to deal with in todays society, pressure to perform in school, sports, social life... Totally agree when it comes to debate, worst thing is that politics is lacking structure too, a debate has roles and rules, one persons speaks and the other listens and waits for his/her chance to rebuttal, today it's just a shouting contest, whoever is loudest wins

When I'm out with people, they are constantly on their phones chatting to other people. As a female in my late-20s when I mention that I don't like/ use Facebook I get weird reactions from my age group. It's an expectation to have social media where I live (big city, yo).

I found that there are so many community events that I'm interested in - but they're all on social media. I've ended up signing up a secret account just solely for the purpose of being able to find out information for these events. It's all a bit annoying to me to have to be part of FB's community. 

The only thing I've found it useful for is meeting family members that I didn't know about, but social media makes me feel like an outsider looking in...if that makes sense. Blah!

One thing that makes me warm and fuzzy from FB is that Mark Zuckerberg and his wife are donating a large fortune to helping eliminate childhood diseases.

Atleast some good will come from facebook this way!

(P.S. 40km is just a short trek :p)

I often wonder about this myself - maybe i really was born in the wrong generation.

Social Media sort of messed everything up, especially for us guys, back in the days you had only few guys trying to meet the woman you are into, now it's like there are hundreds trying to get the same girl which really f** things up for everyone, especially because each guy tries to get a dozen others since it's so easy.  

The web made everything appear like a meat market, people are starting forget that behind the computer sits another human being,
I also hate seeing people flashing their romantic relationships on FB so everyone could see how f** happy they are, like **** why can't you just keep it to yourself, some people are genuinely struggling and dreaming exactly of what you have.

I really wish I was born 10 years earlier, I remember my older sisters had better social life than myself and I think it's related to the fact that when they were in their 20's and early 30's , social media was not that popular as it is today, even online dating back then was considered to be embarrassing

Latest posts

Back