Loneliness is weakness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louMcntire

Reaction score
We've got a society where what's acceptable is to project an image of oneself where everything is always perfect. It's just not polite to drop the "my life isn't going too well" bomb in public. You can complain about how your boss is an ******* but not about how depressed or lonely you are to folks you meet. Loneliness just isn't a subject people like to talk of. And it's certainly not something they like to expose about themselves.
I sure as hell hate talking about how many friends I have (none) - unless I'm all cozy and anonymous behind my computer.

Being lonely (specifically not having friends) sounds like a really negative feature, one people would see as a serious, serious weakness of character. There's an easy correlation to be made between loneliness and social skills. And social skills define a person. It doesn't sound like something you can just tell someone about without having them draw an opinion of you. And that opinion isn't going to be positive - because who does that?

Us actually. We would not be so quick to judge someone if they told us they had no friends because we are living it - we can relate.

But I'll tell you, a few years ago I'd have jumped to conclusions, same as everyone else (And what a jerk I was). But isn't this the way everyone else would react to it? Don't we all think of the worst?

My loneliness is invisible. People won't see it by looking at me. But if they talk to me it's a feature I just cannot hide. It is the single most important element of my life because in the last few years it has shaped me into a completely different person. And I cannot be honest with myself and with others without talking about it.

If loneliness is perceived as a negative, a weakness. How do you go around telling people that you're all alone? Don't they push you away?

This seems irrational to me but maybe it isn't for others. What experience of this sort have you had? Have you ever been turned down because you simply did not have anyone else?

Frankly I don't see loneliness as a weakness. It's a condition, permanent feeling and nothing more. If you're able to speak about your loneliness that means you're in touch with what is happening to you. If you try and ignore the problem you won't gain more strenght to your personality traits. Do homosexuals feel stronger when they hide their sexuality from the public?

People are not open minded. They don't want to talk about issues. Most of the time when you go out with friends is to blow of steam, get drunk, laid, etc... Loneliness, depression and other mental complications are kind of taboo, many people don't even acknowledge them as something serious or real. It's far easier to draw a conclusion on someone without a job and presume he's just lazy and not depressed for example.

In modern society 90% of the citizens living in big cities have various phobias. For me it's a problem that will be recognized as a major social issue in the near future.

Its primarily because for some reason, saying anything negative is discouraged these days. About the only way you could talk about loneliness is to say that you /enjoy/ it, whereupon you are seen as somehow unusual enough to say that solitude is cool.

I do say it occasionally, because I do enjoy solitude. But for me to every talk about it in negative terms is somehow taboo.

I do agree with OP.
Talking about loneliness with other people (unless it's the very selected close close friends) will make them think you are a loner (which is kind of the same word as lonely, isn't it?).... and people don't like loners.

I really like to talk to people about my loneliness, but as mentioned by OP, it will expose me to people (mostly coworkers) gossiping about how this person is lonely and blah blah blah. So in front of people at work, I am a social, friendly person who is always happy and smiling at everyone. I even have people asking me: "How come you seem to be friends with the whole hospital (where I work at)?".... they just don't see my inner self of an extremely lonely person

Ladies and Gentlemen
4buy shopping center is a very professional online shopping mall,There are many fashion items,Shoes, clothing, jeans, hats, glasses, bags, jewelry ......
Which will have your favorite items, Free Shipping for over 6 items' order or more than $150 get free shipping!
Welcome to buy Do not miss
*spam removal*
☆..Jersey(NFL MLB,NBA,NHL) $27-$41
★..shoes(Nike,Air Jordan,Armani,Prada,LV,Coach) $33-55$
☆..Watches(Chanel BAPE Gucci Omega Rolex) $95
★..Sunglasses(coach gucci Chanel Prada Cartier) $18.79
☆..Handbags(Coach gucci juicy lv Dior Burberry) $33
★..Tshirts (Polo,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
☆..Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $38
★..Outdoor Clothing Colombia the North Face $80
Ladies and gentlemen welcome to 4ebuy mall to buy their own The perfect gift

louMcntire said:
We've got a society where what's acceptable is to project an image of oneself where everything is always perfect. It's just not polite to drop the "my life isn't going too well" bomb in public. You can complain about how your boss is an ******* but not about how depressed or lonely you are to folks you meet. Loneliness just isn't a subject people like to talk of. And it's certainly not something they like to expose about themselves.
I sure as hell hate talking about how many friends I have (none) - unless I'm all cozy and anonymous behind my computer.

Being lonely (specifically not having friends) sounds like a really negative feature, one people would see as a serious, serious weakness of character. There's an easy correlation to be made between loneliness and social skills. And social skills define a person. It doesn't sound like something you can just tell someone about without having them draw an opinion of you. And that opinion isn't going to be positive - because who does that?

Us actually. We would not be so quick to judge someone if they told us they had no friends because we are living it - we can relate.

But I'll tell you, a few years ago I'd have jumped to conclusions, same as everyone else (And what a jerk I was). But isn't this the way everyone else would react to it? Don't we all think of the worst?

My loneliness is invisible. People won't see it by looking at me. But if they talk to me it's a feature I just cannot hide. It is the single most important element of my life because in the last few years it has shaped me into a completely different person. And I cannot be honest with myself and with others without talking about it.

If loneliness is perceived as a negative, a weakness. How do you go around telling people that you're all alone? Don't they push you away?

This seems irrational to me but maybe it isn't for others. What experience of this sort have you had? Have you ever been turned down because you simply did not have anyone else?

I think loneliness is a weakness to many because people are thinking 'why can't you make friends? why don't you even have friends? what's so difficult about making friends? Everyone has friends or someone in their lives!'

Loneliness also could mean that you may be clingy and needy. They imagine that if they become your next best friend, you'd be texting them every minute of the day and you'd be asking them to do things with them all the time.

One time back in college, I was on anti depressants that made me very 'bold' so I decided to invite myself to this group of girls who said they were going to some place for shopping. They didn't seem welcoming and instead said "Oh, the car is full already..." or some excuse.

It is really something you should only share with someone you trust or someone who is a complete stranger to you. Funny - about one or two months ago, I was somewhere in the public, waiting to pick my documents up from an education centre. I met a lady in her 50s who came with her nephew. She was all smiling and looking at me. So we started to chat about things and then she asked me what I do, etc and then the topic of loneliness came on. She said "Oh you are lonely?" I said "Yes! Just seems hard to find friends and someone special etc etc"

And she empathized with me and listened and commented and omg it was like close to a spiritual experience. After that conversation, I was jumping and leaping in the air because finally...finally someone agreed with me!!! I felt............understood. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

How can loneliness get better when you are already lonely and people don't even want to hear that you are lonely? So really, who do you go to? Who can you talk about this with? It becomes a deadly secret. You're suffering inside and nobody knows. Worse of all, sometimes when I do meet people that I think are nice to hang out with more often, inside me is screaming "omg I am lonely, please invite me to more of your outings" but I can't. Some people actually take that negatively.

I know a guy who said that if you don't take a risk to be honest about your loneliness, how'd people know you are lonely? The thing is, I don't want to risk that - because at least for now, I am meeting some people at these gatherings and they just think ... oh okay..she's here for activities. But if they knew that I'm there because I have no one, suddenly, there is a different picture of me.

Sigh.

spam spamity spam spam spam
Anyway. loneliness I talk about it with noone irl,and find it hard to even when anonymous.
all because i always get rejected in life, so i try to say what i think people'll like most when irl, or can't say anything at all out of shyness, i have come to hide all my feelings,and i don't care about it anymore.
imma just let them go whenever the hell they come out.they are mostly anger and sadness,i hide my emotions because people never try to become close to me irl,if i try or not.

I think the important thing for me to consider before discussing loneliness with someone these days is:

how can talking about loneliness with this person directly help my situation? I mean, I know some people just want to be 'listened' but I've gotten over that stage. You feel good to talk about it and have someone listen but at the end of the day, you are still dealing with loneliness.

Its a liablity..
Work on your liablites. I guess.

I attend support groups. I can talk or share about whatever thats bothering me without being judge..
Not asking for advice. Many many
subjects gets disucss.

A safe place..A santuary for me to
bare my soul to some fellowmen
or god.

Just being able to talk honesttly , openly and frrom the heart,in front of a group of people
that I hardly know sometimes is somehow theraputic.
Ive been known to cry my heart out becuase I couldnt hold it in anymore. The many tears Ive held back throughout the years in fromt of men and women . A man dont cry..Its a weakness....so I thought.

wtf fresia was I crying? Cuase I dont say much....
The death of my children.
The death of freinds
The death of lovers
The lost of people and family I love very much .
The many failed attemps to save the lives of whom I love.

No one will ever truely understands me., give a honeysuckle nor care much.
I feel alone us such.
. .

On the surface it dosnt look that way.
I have a GF. People see us in public
holding hands ..etc..etc

She cried her heart out to me today
becuase she love me and cares for me.
She see the pains in my eyes at times.

Things I cant/wont talk to her about.
Things I deem would be a conflict
to our relationship.

Plenty of men would love to be with her. Shes beautiful, loving. and very sweet.

So why in the hell should I be lonely
or feeling so **** lonely?

You wont undestand .You cant really help me nor live my life for me.

My feeling of being alone is not from the lack of socail skills or ******* skills.

Compassion....would i chose to have compassion for another human being..
Whatever their challegnes are.

Would I be too cuaght up in my own honeysuckle? Thats what my GF had for me today...for a while she got out of herself to try to understand or not even undrsatnds cuase she loves me.
It want all about her.

But Im a self prick. I chose to
be and feel alone in my troubles.
Its all about me......
Its my weakness or liablity.

beans said:
I think loneliness is a weakness to many because people are thinking 'why can't you make friends? why don't you even have friends? what's so difficult about making friends? Everyone has friends or someone in their lives!'

Loneliness also could mean that you may be clingy and needy. They imagine that if they become your next best friend, you'd be texting them every minute of the day and you'd be asking them to do things with them all the time.

How can loneliness get better when you are already lonely and people don't even want to hear that you are lonely? So really, who do you go to? Who can you talk about this with? It becomes a deadly secret. You're suffering inside and nobody knows. Worse of all, sometimes when I do meet people that I think are nice to hang out with more often, inside me is screaming "omg I am lonely, please invite me to more of your outings" but I can't. Some people actually take that negatively.

I know a guy who said that if you don't take a risk to be honest about your loneliness, how'd people know you are lonely? The thing is, I don't want to risk that - because at least for now, I am meeting some people at these gatherings and they just think ... oh okay..she's here for activities. But if they knew that I'm there because I have no one, suddenly, there is a different picture of me.

This is exactly my way of thinking! It's as if people suddenly see you as a martyr when they learn you have no friends. It becomes a weight they have to carry! But it shouldn't be!
The way I see it - Your friends define you because you have things in common. You should be able to see part of yourself in the people you care for. But when you have none, people perceive you through your loneliness. Suddenly it defines you.
And it does - my loneliness drives my everyday life in ways that aren't society's norm. Shouldn't it be something people should know about? It's not actually negative!

Why do I need to hide it like a weakness?

It almost feels like a paradox. "To have friends, you need friends."

Otherwise you're building on weak foundation. And as soon as the secret is out. It all crumbles and you start from zero. AGAIN.

And yet I still want hope. Has anyone been honest about their loneliness with someone (Or better, a group a person) and it actually went well? In the sense that it kept building past that moment. There must be at least an instance of this. This one time in a sea of failures?

louMcntire said:
Has anyone been honest about their loneliness with someone (Or better, a group a person) and it actually went well? In the sense that it kept building past that moment. There must be at least an instance of this. This one time in a sea of failures?

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. After all people just don't know how to react when someone talks to them about loneliness. I have encountered this. It's just as awkward as watching "Basic Instinct" with your grandma. :D

I don't believe loneliness is a weakness. It can make you a stronger person in the end. It's hard to explain, like a journey. The hard part is surviving and reaching the end. It takes a ton of willpower to survive every single soul-crushing day and decide to continue moving forward. When others have problems, they rely on their friends and family. When lonely people have problems they rely on their own. Who is stronger in the end? Those who survive with the help of others, or those who survive on their own? Sure, loneliness gets to you a lot, but we're still pulling through to the end. When we dig out of this hell-hole we'll be stronger and better than before.

Johnatthen Livingston SeaGull..

He didnt fly with the flock.

Even then he still needed a couple of friends here and there.

Dont know if that book being my favortie children colure my perception
of life...but bascailly thats hoow I see
people...They work. eat, mate. sit arund talk about whatever...
Is this all there is???

Maybe not being part of the herd inst
such a bad thing...
Were more independent and are free
to achive whats beyound the norm

I guess its the inter dependent stuff
that has to be worker on. Working
with selected people we allow into our liives that has the same vision. Goasl and purpose..

rosebud said:
Yeah, I'm curious about that too. After all people just don't know how to react when someone talks to them about loneliness. I have encountered this. It's just as awkward as watching "Basic Instinct" with your grandma. :D

Yes, there was once when I made a friend who was also lonely in this group that we were part of. That said, I think it might also only have worked out because I already had another friend that I was spending weekends hanging out with, and I could have a framework where I could invite him to hang out with us.

If I hadn't known anyone to start with, I still think that I would have befriended him, but things could have been a lot more difficult.

Latest posts

Back