loneliness research by a lonely girl

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliss06

Reaction score
hi everyone
I am a 20 year old from newcastle who suffers from shy and loneliness.
As a psychology student at Newcastle University I have chosen to research into these personality contributors as they play such a big part in my life and am looking at the effects of the social networking site Facebook on these personality contributors.
As i have recently found this forum and enjoy reading about others like me I was wondering if anyone who is reading this post could take ten minutes to take part in my questionnaire-
http://nclpsych.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8q3TU8Zbc6KawBe

If you leave your email at the end I am going to put these into a draw to win £50 amazon vouchers which i have bought as a thank you for taking part
There is also a comment box to put any extra feedback about hwo you feel about Facebook and/or being shy or lonely which would be even more helpful for my research

Thank you so much if you do take the time to take part :) and would love to speak to anyone who is looking for someone to talk to

I usually don't click links (y'know cause of viruses and all out there), but I did click that one and it says the URL is incorrect.

Hi there fliss06 :). Your link doesn't seem to work for me so I'll type this instead... I'm 27 years old from Rotherham and also quite new to 'A lonely life' like yourself. I'm quiet and shy too and have never had a girlfriend. I used to have a Facebook account but I deleted it about a year ago because I just wasn't using it much and it made me feel quite lonely and depressed whenever I did. I had 50 friends on it (all from secondary school) but the thing that I find weird is the people who added me never really spoke to me when I was actually at school. It's as if they added me just to make their friends lists look bigger or something because whenever I posted a photo comment on their album pictures it was usually ignored.

I have also joined a site called 'socialanxietysupport' there are some lovely people on their of all ages. But the majority seem to be in your age group at 18-23 so I kind of feel like a bit of an outcast at 27 lol, but it's still a good site nonetheless.

Anyway enough about me, how is life treating you?

sorry everyone, I am unsure why the first link did not work, this one should work
http://nclpsych.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8q3TU8Zbc6KawBe

Thank you for your interest Simon, I have found the exact same with Facebook, and the more I am researching it for my dissertation the more people I am finding like me who it makes feel even lonelier.
Thank you the website, I will definitely take a look on that one- at 27 you are never too old to be friends with people my age :)

Sci-Fi said:
I usually don't click links (y'know cause of viruses and all out there), but I did click that one and it says the URL is incorrect.

sorry Sci Fi, I have corrected the first link and this one should take you straight to the questionnaire :)

Simon said:
Thanks fliss, I'll have a go at it :)

thanks so much simon :)
it is so hard to find participants who will take 10 minutes to do the questionnaire so i really appreciate it

All done! It's quite an in depth questionnaire too, anyway I hope you get what you want out of it :)

I would be more than happy to do it but unfortunately (well not really) I have canceled my facebook account because I realized it was actually doing me more harm than good and I've been having better days since I've done this.

I think there's many things you can call facebook but it's definitely not a "social" network ,it's more of a show-off network and when I see people spending hours on it doing nothing it just makes me even more sad.

Sorry again for not being able to help you but maybe what I wrote here can be of any use , good luck!

I really can't answer any of it since I don't have nor want a Facebook account. Why? It's a fake world in it,and the one person who can click on the button "+1 Add as a Friend" more times is the king/queen of it. Some of my "friends" at school have tons of contacts but never talk to any of it other than their close group. Most people I know also use it to bill up their self esteem using it like Twitter,so I really wouldn't bother signing in. It's not like it's not going to be replaced by another crappy social network in five years anyway...

Latest posts

Back