lonely in london

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB46

Reaction score
hi everyone, im in sw2, im a young 41 man, i work hard but do not earn much money, its nice to find this forum as it is hard to meet people when i go out on my own, and i cant afford to go out often. i recently started taking a prescription for depression as i started having regular suicidal thoughts (which upsets me as it makes me feel weak). for the last few days ive been thinking that maybe depression is a mis-diagnosis? maybe i am just desperately lonely. so i typed "lonely in london" into a search which led me here.

Hey there RB46, welcome to the forum!
Hope you'll find what you're looking for on here and make some new friends. :)

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum!

Hi RB46, welcome to the forum!

It could very well be that you don't need antidepressants, I was in London for 2 years and it nearly drove me out of my mind, it was like being in the desert surrounded by people, being completely invisible, being dead and looking at the world around you - probably I was being over-dramatic as I was 22, but the memories are quite vivid, and horrid, in spite of how much I loved that city and all it represented.
Just an example: after some years of living in a place where people would say "good day" to each other even if they didn't know each other, I was used to make eye contact with others on the street and at least smile - somewhere in London, it was a secondary street, this guy was walking on the same street side, and I was ready to make eye contact: he must have seen that coming, because he deliberately averted his eyes and turned his WHOLE FACE!, and his body on one side, to avoid any kind of connection (and allowing me free way, had I been a pickpocket).

That was London in my experience, and everyone I know there lives the most alienated lives, although they all do very cool things, jobs, interests, etc .

Now it is different, there are several awesome meet up groups about depression and loneliness in London, (one wonders why), check them out, probably a lot of other people feel the same way you do.

Anyway, what you write arose a lot of absurd memories, desperate loneliness does have a way to creep in during London life, before taking antidepressants it makes sense to check if something else is missing.
take good care!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to welcome me. It is hard to say "I'm lonely" and I would have felt bad if no-one had replied to my introduction. Special thanks to Peaches for your message. It's obvious you took some time out to write a very supportive and encouraging message. I understand exactly what you say. I was a child in a town which is socially halfway between the two extremes you mention. I spent my teenage years in a small town in Devon where everyone was very smiley and warm but I am also open minded, forward thinking and quite redical which means that I do not fit in with "mainstream" people. Since then I have moved about a lot and made good friends along the way but none live near me now. I totally agree that London is an especially cold place but there is definitely another reason on top of that as to why i feel the way I do. Anti deprssants have worked for me before in the short term so although i am very cautious with them and prefer not to take them, i think anti depressant drugs do have their place. It's just a shame that I have never been able to secure any NHS counselling, but they give out pills as if they are free!

Every time I see your username I keep thinking of the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)

Are you a secret agent of them?

Its no secret. :) rb is relentlessboy as i went through a faze of drinking a lot of it to get through heavy weekends at work and 46 is the racing number of valentino rossi, the worlds greatest ever motorcycle racer, and also my best score for nine holes of golf since i started playing again. nothing to do with RBS :) Just like my personal finances.

Hi RB46,

A warm welcome from a fellow Devonite..lol...or are we Devonians? I actually lived in Devon - Tiverton to be precise - before moving to London this year. I felt so out of my comfort zone and missed all the countryside and the friendly dog walkers.

Horse riding is ridiculously expensive especially since I enjoyed it so much on the moors :( However, just know that you are not alone and if you need to talk to someone then hey drop me a line.

I did live in SW but now have moved to NW as I found the south of London lacking in cows and fields. Seriously, there is no need to feel alone and this forum is your platform to reach out to others who know how you feel :)

Welcome fellow Londoner! Its not so bad here. You just have more struggles if you aren't rich lol. Money is the key here. It unlocks doors.

Gutted said:
Welcome fellow Londoner! Its not so bad here. You just have more struggles if you aren't rich lol. Money is the key here. It unlocks doors.

You're right but its just that everyone seems so dull. I am by no means a millionaire but I sure have enough disposable income, mainly cause I spend other people's money...lol....no not really...or is it... ;)

I get the strangest looks on the tube because I don't have a smart phone or that I smile at people or WORSE ever, I actually have the audacity to talk to them because everyone is either on their phones or Kindle's. I am a social creature by nature and can't seem to turn it off ;)

I guess we 'lonely' people should stick together so that we are 'alone' together!!!!

I'm not lonely lol. But I'm not like these people either. I think many people are just happy as things are and they don't want anything to change. So if you talk to them, they wont show any interest. Their loss really.

Hello, welcome to the forum! You'll get a lot of support from this site. :)
Hope you enjoy you're time on here.

Latest posts

Back