Looking for a friend...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostOne

Reaction score
Hello there everyone! I am new to this site and I thought id share some thoughts about myself. I am a 20 year old male, a bit of a nerd but I guess that's expected lol... For most of my life, or at least most of what I remember, I've been depressed. You guys have probably heard this a thousand times. crappy childhood, no friends, un-attentive parents. My teenage years were horrible, filled with self resentment and datelessness lol. I was the guy who made everyone laugh but no girl wanted to be with because i was so strange. Got picked on a lot. Not so much bullied, but i did have a few encounters with rather burly fellows. and the whole experience evaporated whatever little self esteem I had left. my grades were horrible, but its really hard trying to focus on grades when you feel worthless all the time. it got to the point where i would get really depressed and sometimes when i went to the bathroom id burst into tears. So eventually at the age of 18 i just gave up on the entire thing and dropped out of high school because going there just made me feel awful. I did however get my GED a year later, and things seemed to improve a little, i finally had something to be proud of myself about, but at the same time i still felt empty. i still had no friends, no girlfriend, no job(despite many searches) and on top of that id argue with my mom a lot. she would get drunk and find something to start arguments about, and i remember once she got drunk and she told me how i embarrassed her and asked me why i couldn't be like my cousin because he made straight A's and had no trouble in school. And she also said "you're probably the reason why i cant keep a man because i always have to deal with you" and that just broke me. so one day we got into an argument and i just snapped and told her that if she wants me out of her life so **** bad then i will just leave, and i did. I went to go live with my father, who was and still is a very positive influence in my life. he helped me get my drivers license. i passed it on my first try and got a perfect score so i felt really good about that. but the problem is, the area where my father lives has no public transportation or nearby stores within walking distance and he goes to work early in the morning and:( doesn't get off until late in the evening around 6 pm. so i cant attend college or get a job because i have no transportation. and again the depression is really starting to set in again because i cant go anywhere, i cant work, i cant do anything and i just feel like dead weight to my father. i still have no friends because there is really no way to find people with the same interests and hang out with them. iv'e never been in a relationship, and i have no job experience, so even if i do magically find some way to get to a place of employment they will most likely reject me because i have no employment history(had it happen before multiple times) its like no matter what improvements i try to make to my life, i end up hitting a brick wall. iv'e been living with my dad for two years now and i'm still unemployed and the entire situation really stresses me out. I'm scared because i don't think i can take another year of this and i might end up doing something stupid. It wouldn't be so bad if i had a girlfriend i guess,i would know that there was someone who enjoys my company and thinks that i'm desirable, but what woman wants to date a 20 year old boring socially awkward high school drop out with no car or money/job. even just one friend to talk to and hang out with would be nice... But that's a luxury i just cant seem to acquire. I just want a friend, is that too much to ask?:(

Welcome LostOne.

Get a job. Now! Everything else will set itself up from there. And don't think that anyone at the age of 20 is expected to actually have work experience.

Try doing an online degree through a brick and mortar college. Also, dude, try volunteering for work experience.

SophiaGrace said:
Try doing an online degree through a brick and mortar college. Also, dude, try volunteering for work experience.

1: I thought about getting an online degree, but i read that they are of less value to employers compared to a normal degree. not really sure if its true or not though. I would rather go to college physically because I've heard that its a lot better than high school and you meet people with the same interests. im a bit frightened that if i do start online classes ill still get depressedfrom being at home all the time and lose motivation.
2:I cant volunteer, I don't have transportation. if there is a volunteering opportunity that provides transportation then I'm all for it!

perfanoff said:
Get a bike?

bikes cost money, which i don't have, and there really isn't anywhere to bike to. we live in a rural area next to a highway. there is a plant nearby that's like a 25-30 min walk away, but i applied there and was declined due to no work experience...

LostOne said:
SophiaGrace said:

1: I thought about getting an online degree, but i read that they are of less value to employers compared to a normal degree. not really sure if its true or not though. I would rather go to college physically because I've heard that its a lot better than high school and you meet people with the same interests. im a bit frightened that if i do start online classes ill still get depressedfrom being at home all the time and lose motivation.
2:I cant volunteer, I don't have transportation. if there is a volunteering opportunity that provides transportation then I'm all for it!

Notice I said from a brick and mortar college

Ask your dad for the money for a bike...

Online degrees, wherever they come from, are often valued quite equally to non online as it shows a certain level of dedication beyond other commitments - as is often the case with online study, it is done around other commitments. It displays a self discipline and motivation also.

I'm sorry LostOne that you're having difficulties at the moment. Jobs are hard looking for, but don't give up yet. Just continue to search. Hopefully you'll meet new friends on here. Welcome to the forum! :)

LostOne said:
I just want a friend, is that too much to ask?:(

I'll sell Pogs to you, he's pretty loyal as long as there's booze in the house.

LostOne said:
perfanoff said:
Get a bike?

bikes cost money, which i don't have, and there really isn't anywhere to bike to. we live in a rural area next to a highway. there is a plant nearby that's like a 25-30 min walk away, but i applied there and was declined due to no work experience...

Keep trying man. The ONLY way to a - I won't even say good - to a LIFE is getting a job. Gather all your strength and keep pushing at it until you get it. That's the best and only help I can give you. I wish I had a job lined up for you but alas.

LostOne said:
Hello there everyone! I am new to this site and I thought id share some thoughts about myself. I am a 20 year old male, a bit of a nerd but I guess that's expected lol... For most of my life, or at least most of what I remember, I've been depressed. You guys have probably heard this a thousand times. crappy childhood, no friends, un-attentive parents. My teenage years were horrible, filled with self resentment and datelessness lol. I was the guy who made everyone laugh but no girl wanted to be with because i was so strange. Got picked on a lot. Not so much bullied, but i did have a few encounters with rather burly fellows. and the whole experience evaporated whatever little self esteem I had left. my grades were horrible, but its really hard trying to focus on grades when you feel worthless all the time. it got to the point where i would get really depressed and sometimes when i went to the bathroom id burst into tears. So eventually at the age of 18 i just gave up on the entire thing and dropped out of high school because going there just made me feel awful. I did however get my GED a year later, and things seemed to improve a little, i finally had something to be proud of myself about, but at the same time i still felt empty. i still had no friends, no girlfriend, no job(despite many searches) and on top of that id argue with my mom a lot. she would get drunk and find something to start arguments about, and i remember once she got drunk and she told me how i embarrassed her and asked me why i couldn't be like my cousin because he made straight A's and had no trouble in school. And she also said "you're probably the reason why i cant keep a man because i always have to deal with you" and that just broke me. so one day we got into an argument and i just snapped and told her that if she wants me out of her life so **** bad then i will just leave, and i did. I went to go live with my father, who was and still is a very positive influence in my life. he helped me get my drivers license. i passed it on my first try and got a perfect score so i felt really good about that. but the problem is, the area where my father lives has no public transportation or nearby stores within walking distance and he goes to work early in the morning and:( doesn't get off until late in the evening around 6 pm. so i cant attend college or get a job because i have no transportation. and again the depression is really starting to set in again because i cant go anywhere, i cant work, i cant do anything and i just feel like dead weight to my father. i still have no friends because there is really no way to find people with the same interests and hang out with them. iv'e never been in a relationship, and i have no job experience, so even if i do magically find some way to get to a place of employment they will most likely reject me because i have no employment history(had it happen before multiple times) its like no matter what improvements i try to make to my life, i end up hitting a brick wall. iv'e been living with my dad for two years now and i'm still unemployed and the entire situation really stresses me out. I'm scared because i don't think i can take another year of this and i might end up doing something stupid. It wouldn't be so bad if i had a girlfriend i guess,i would know that there was someone who enjoys my company and thinks that i'm desirable, but what woman wants to date a 20 year old boring socially awkward high school drop out with no car or money/job. even just one friend to talk to and hang out with would be nice... But that's a luxury i just cant seem to acquire. I just want a friend, is that too much to ask?:(
Hey, have you explained your situation to your dad and expressed that you want to work and go to school but are stuck? I'm sure he would respect you for it. Probably you should mention it so he doesn't think you don't want to work. Maybe he would have some ideas. Would he let you drop him off and pick him up and use the car to look for jobs? Does he work in an area or pass an area on the way to work thats within walking distance of job prospects or a bus line? If so, you could go with him in the morning and look all day and go home at night with him if you can't take the car yourself. And even if your job starts later and/or ends earlier, you could just hang out for a while. That might sound better to him because it doesn't use extra gas. Could you ask him to loan you the money for a bike and you'd pay it after you got a job? Or could you ask if theres any work you could do for him to earn the money for a bike. I would ask that first. I got mine at a pawn shop for $60 almost new. As far as places wanting experience only, you have to b.s. your way through it. I don't know why it's set up that way. I had the same problem. Just have someone you know say you worked for them. And make sure they can be reached on the phone to give you a reference. They don't even check a lot of the time. They just don't want a someone who doesn't know how to work hard or doesn't know how to do anything. What types of jobs are you looking for? If you found something on Craigs list for something like landscaping maybe they could pick you up. I resonated a lot with what you wrote. There were many parallels to my own life. It made me think of how if I could do it over, I would have ignored all of those jerks and just did what I had to do. Nobody's opinion has to define your opinion of yourself. I know it just sounds like words. I hate when people say things that mean nothing and they didn't think through, like 'you shouldn't feel sorry for your self' or 'everything happens for a reason.'but peoples opinions are subjective, some people agree some don't. So they can't be proven true or false. I'm on here because I have a hard time making friends but I don't think it reflects negatively on me. I'm not accepted by my family but I think they're missing out. I'm not perfect and I've screwed up a lot but I'm a cool person worth knowing. And being weird and funny is attractive to cool girls. Not so much with dumb high school girls. If you're confident, then what ever you do seems cool. That's what girl's like more than anything. And you'll build confidence by overcoming the honeysuckle life throws at you. How could you develop true confidence otherwise? Some people only think they're confident because they're circumstances are good but what happens when their circumstances change? And college is the place to be different. High school is the place where everyone is scared to be different. Just wait until you find a girl who's got her own weirdness and sense of humor. They're more rare but worth waiting for. And a cool girl won't judge you for not having a car. Plus, you'll get one eventually if you work hard. And you'll find one if you don't give up. And why did you say you're boring if you're funny? You'll make friends soon too. You're just in a rut right now. You're being resourceful though by asking others for ideas. You should be proud of that. You're moving in the right direction. Things just go more slowly than we would like sometimes. Message me if you want to talk :)

Latest posts

Back