Mentally hypersensitive, anxious wanna train Martial Arts?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindster

Reaction score
I really love watcing MMA/Kickboxing/Boxing/Muay thai/Bjj and i really really want to train something of those i wrote up there but i feel anxious times to times and i am mentally hypersensitive person by my nature. What do you people think can anxious person overcome his anxiety by taking medications, having talks to therapists once a week and training lets say Kickboxing while going out everyday with his friends? Guys i would really love to see if someone of you could tell me of some famous/unfamous martial artist that had similar problems like me and were or still are successful while solved their problems. Thank you for your time.

I think that physical exercise can help with mental stress, becuase i know when I am really anxious, I can't sit still, and any sort of exercise helps to channel the nervous tension. Though it can be hard to discipline myself to do exercise, rather than just walking around pacing the floor.
Going out socially also helps. I am feeling low at present and am making myself do the things I would normally do. I still feel just as low, but I don't have the feeling that I am letting everything go. This helps to an extent.
Medication can help, or it can make things worse. It depends on the medication and on how you react to it.
Therapy may help you-give it a try and see how it goes.

kindster said:
I really love watcing MMA/Kickboxing/Boxing/Muay thai/Bjj and i really really want to train something of those i wrote up there but i feel anxious times to times and i am mentally hypersensitive person by my nature. What do you people think can anxious person overcome his anxiety by taking medications, having talks to therapists once a week and training lets say Kickboxing while going out everyday with his friends? Guys i would really love to see if someone of you could tell me of some famous/unfamous martial artist that had similar problems like me and were or still are successful while solved their problems. Thank you for your time.

Hi Kindster,

Good inquiry! Here's my two cents worth.

Medications: No, drugs will make things worse in the long run and often worse in the short run too.

Talks to Therapists: Yes, if you can find a good one that has your best interests at heart. If they just want to put you on drugs, than move on. Try ones that are connected with naturopath medical doctors, not influenced by pharmaceutical pushers.

Martial Arts: YES. Not only for physical exercise but for the control and competence you will gain. It will not solve all your problems but it will definitely help your state of mind. The natural high and calming affect from the exertion and from seeing steady improvement is great. But do look for a good gym with a good master. By good, I mean, with a peaceful and kind temperament, and not a money grubber or macho fight monger. Heh, the movie, Karate Kid illustrates the difference. Don't overlook smaller class programs held in community centers or universities, etc..

I would additionally suggest getting into proper nutrition. This can help incredibly both with state of mind and with your physical training.

martial arts. but dont go to the money grabbing gyms. find a real dojo. - school clubs or rec centres have student body organized dojos.

dojos are run and operated by the students. the teachers are usually paid with respect instead of $.

in a dojo, you learn about the martial arts which is physically stimulating and challenging as hell. but you also have to learn respect, perseverance, and mental strength - as well as the customs/culture of the art which is usually very enriching.

dont pay top $ for martial arts. its not like a gym membership. and it shouldnt be taken as such. I've been to some MMA 'gyms' where they dont teach any safety or culture or even proper posture. you just grab a buddy and start sparring... it was a good work out for sure. but it didnt feel as fulfilling as a dojo.

and to sum it up. Yes I think an introvert will benefit from martial arts with increased confidence and respect for self as well as others.

Hi Kindster.

I agree with the martial arts. You should really give it a go! I understand it's easier said than done but really, the hardest step is always the first step. Once you break down that wall, you will be okay. I guarantee.

I don't know of any famous martial artists or fighters who may have had similar troubles but, a hundred percent, I had similar troubles to you.

Over three years ago I used to be very overweight, very unfit and very unconfident. After an unfortunate incident at a party, I was the victim of an unprovoked assault... I decided to take up a martial art/self defence. I looked online around local places and the cheapest and closest place I could find was a Judo club (I didn't have my driver's license back then as I do now).

When I went to the Judo club, I saw everyone there looking really fit, doing physically crazy stuff that really intimidated me. I stuck with it... lost a lot of weight, got very fit, made many new close friends and now I am one of those people doing physically crazy things.

As I said before, the first step is always the hardest, but you've got to break through that to succeed. Maybe to help, take a friend or family member with you to whatever martial art you decide to do. Find a martial art that you feel would be effective for you and that you would enjoy. You'll get fit, you'll develop confidence and you may rid yourself of some issues you may have. I'm not perfect and I still have a lot of work to do, but taking up Judo was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm sure whatever you take up and do, will be the same for you.

Good luck. :)

Latest posts

Back