Most depressing bands/musical artists

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ComfortZone said:
Hank Williams Sr., Billie Holiday & some George Jones' stuff.

Two out of three are Country from before country became decade old rock with a steel guitar or fiddle. Some of those songs were pretty depressing.

If any of yall like rap at all... check out this guy Joe Budden. Hes got a series of mixtapes (independent rap CD's) titled "Mood Music" and most of his stuff is introspective, dealing with depression and what not.

well I would have to agree with the Smiths comment, Marr does lighten up the lyrics. Ian Curtis of Joy D. is also great, so since those are from my DJ days almost 20 years ago, here's some new ones that I found along the way.

Men:
Matthew Ryan
Willard Grant Conspiracy
Red House Painters/ Sun Kil Moon/ Mark Kozelek
Willy Vlautin/ Richmond Fontaine
This Living Hand/ Neilson Hubbard

Women:
Chris Pureka
Jesse Sykes
Mazzy Star/ Hope Sandoval
Gillian Welch
Cowboy Junkies/ Margo Timmons

and the ultimate depressing music out there is Brian Eno, especially with Harold Budd, the Ambient series, years ahead of This Mortal Coil and the whole 4AD thing.

Although I love it, stuff like Blue Light and Fade Into You by Mazzy Star hits me pretty hard.

Mmm.. 'depressive' eh? Radiohead, NIN and soundgarden.
Funny enough, I usually get lulled to sleep just by listening to these bands\musical artists.
What I really like about NIN is the introspective lyrics and ofcourse, Trent Reznor is amazing.

Who likes Depeche Mode?? I loved listening to them back in highschool, like 2 years ago, among others

Latest posts

Back