Mrs. Robinson you 're trying to seduce me!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also important not to get stuck in old paradigms. For instance, if at one age, let's say quite younger, like 21, you perceived "older" guys as more wise, stable, secure, etc...you were probably right. Because "older" guys, then, would have been 30, 40, etc...

However, that same paradigm need not apply from a current perspective. See the point?

What was once a legitimate desire is now replaced with a fondness for shared familiarity with song lyrics. Consider that, and you may see how your paradigm no longer applies because you can still find wisdom, stability, sophistication, security, etc...in those 30 or 40 year olds...

Cougar is a disgusting term, made up to diminish women right at the moment when some kind of equality was coming up, equality with older men who get "distinguished" when they grey up and learn how to dress properly, and immediately bam: the Ms Robinson stereotype (which, by the way is a term from the 1960ies!).
So I'd say enjoy these modern times with this new equality in spite of some boycott (the cougar image), and many 35+ years olds are ready to settle (hell, even younger, but then it's really revolutionary), also some people just look/feel older and some others younger, so maybe not only your appearance but also your energy and activity levels are closer to the younger folks.

Some people I know just got married, and he is 14 years younger than her, even more revolutionary because when they got together she was 33 and he was 19! right out of high school - everybody was laughing at first, then they were creeped out; they took turns in studying and working, and after 5 years they got married and now are going for a baby, who is laughing now.

Now, if only I could apply this great philosophy and activist to myself… ;)

PS I understand that Ms Robinson was a pretty beautiful and intelligent woman, what made her pathetic was that she was trying to hide the whole thing and then got possessive, and also she was not so cool after all with all those stuffy old fashioned dinner parties. Also, she smoked too much.

Arachne, I identify with your desire to connect with a partner based on common interests and shared experiences, like cultural references, music references, and all of the things that our generation would understand. I totally get that.

I think it's natural to be drawn to people who will understand us. No one will understand all of our jokey references, but the more we have to explain things to someone, the more we might yearn for someone who just knows what we're talking about. That's certainly true for me.

(D),time to step outside your comfort zone.

I know it's hard to do that,everyone has them,and are reluctant to do so.

Sometimes,two people having the same interest's,and being from the same generation,is not what's needed in a relationship.

Relationship's are two people sharing. Give and take.

Someone younger than you,might mean they have different taste's in music,food,book's,film's and dozen's of other thing's.

And they don't have the memory you have about thing's,that you and I have,when we were growing up in England,watching the same Children's tv show's,the music we listened too,all those thing's that seem so far away,but,still remember,like Dr.Who in black and white,and marmite sandwiche's!:p

Ok,so they might be younger,with different taste's to your's,but that make's it better,it give's both of you a chance to learn,and experience new thing's together,swopping memories,music,and thought's,and just talking.

Any relationship start's with two people becoming friend's.

Look as the first date,as a chance to make a new friend.

Then take it from there.

Peaches said:
...(which, by the way is a term from the 1960ies!). ...

I didn't really catch the age until you mentioned it. Maybe The Graduate is big enough that the reference is still clear.

I think it all comes down to the two people involved....as far as I can see it's the same ole story on every score....if two folks are compatible then that's as good as....for me age doesn't really come into it.

That said it is undeniable that when it comes down to 'ripeness'(haha) generally speaking an older woman works well with a somewhat younger gent.....however, again everyone is different, everyone's drives are different so yet again it just comes back to what I said before....compatibility between two individuals.

& if you're not willing to lick the ice cream, you wont know if the flavour tastes good or not.....mmmm ice cream lmao

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your thoughts. They mean the world to me and have helped me greatly. It is date night tonight soo will let you know if you are interested after the fact.. Bright Blessings to all ^.^

I wanted to say that i hope you learned that your thoughts are not stupid, and it's okay so share them here. :)

Latest posts

Back