My enemy is myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be what you want to be. You will be as you are until you decide to change.
Considering you can't even see what you are doing, that's not going to happen any time soon, so I'm out. You are more worried about how to justify being rude to people. Sorry.

BeyondShy said:
That's another thing that people say that is easier said than done. I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse but I have a very good memory, so when people say or do something to me I don't forget it even though they do after years go by. I agree that the present is the most important thing but I tend to take things very personal so it is hard.

I really wanted to say more about what your original post, but from recent experiences here, I feel hesitated to do so. Its hard to figure out these days who genuinely needs help and is serious about it, or just wants other people, esp. ladies, to pamper them. I assume that you are not one of those arrogant entitled people, thus I will invest a bit of my time here and I have high hopes from you.

Look, I am not one of the people who was never lonely, or let's say, in some way, not experiencing things that you have. I have been there, seen it, if you have read my old threads. Left clueless, not knowing what to do, what is the way. Nobody will tell you the way because they don't even know themselves, all they can give you is comfort, sympathy. But don't become to obsessed with them, its just a small step. Then you would go on and on, looking for solutions, "easier ones", because the obvious ones seem to be either lame or  "easier said than done", you will read books, take medications,  sign up on forums, try to grow a fake personality to trick people into "loving" and "accepting" you.
Nothing is going to work, it doesn't. 

The problem with you is, that you are not greedy and selfish. And wait, I am not saying this in a way of "stealing things away" or "hurting people to get your thing done", etc. But if you have paid attention, the existence has so much to offer to you, so much that you can never have it all. And it says, "Please take it, its all free, as much as you can take."  It just waits for you with its offers but you are not there, you are busy with the past, something non existent, a present that is no more.
  It waits and waits, but you never arrive, and you miss it. So much that what you could get, so much that you could do, all missed out. Only because you "thought" or "felt" that you don't deserve it. The existence is not biased, it is indifferent to what you think you are. It is ready, waiting for you, time is passing by, life is flowing constantly, and the only one who is not there, is you. Where are you? Why are you not here? Come and take all that you can. Its fine, you didn't go to your prom, there are kids who live their whole life without knowing what is a prom, or what it feels to be under a roof. Be grateful, you are not one of them. If you didn't face these failures, you wouldn't grow. 
The realization of the above, is the first step.
Then the 2nd step. Its a subtle process, yeah, then start with the simple, the physical. "Living in the moment" is not a philosophical phrase. If you ever did an adventure sport, you might have noticed, that all your senses become alive, alert. Your mind (or as you call it, "memory") stops, you are noticing everything around you, maybe its just a survival instinct, but this is what I am talking about. 
Haven't you noticed a truly "confident" person, he enters the room, he hasn't said anything yet, but you can see through his confidence? What is it? Its his presence, he is there not just physically, but also mentally and consciously. Reason? Because he is not worrying about future or the past. 

Physical is easy, so start with that. Become conscious of your actions, instead of giving energy to your "memories", give energy to your senses. If you move your hand, move it consciously. If you smell something, smell it consciously, if you see something, see it consciously. If you ever gave this a try, if you are doing something consciously, you are not thinking of the past. Tell me, was it easier said than done or easier done than said?  :cool:
Sometimes, you might not have realized, and you suddenly find yourself doing something, like you don't know when your finger went into your nose, or for this half an hour, you were sitting on your phone. Try this, try to move your hand, and do it consciously, look at your hand move,for example to take something lying besides you. Watch your hand thoroughly, each finger, and you will feel a subtle grace . That's why they say, "In consciousness, there is grace." Its not a philosophical phrase either.
Look around for a while, listen to the sounds around you, give a chance to your senses to become alive, they are your own, don't take them for granted. Become sensitive. These are ready made tools at your disposal, sire.
You will forget to do this very often, but its because you have never done that before, but whenever you remember, do it. Over time, you will become frequent, and there will be a time, when you are totally conscious of your actions, you are aware of what you are doing. 

Then the 3rd step. 
Now go higher, the mind. This involves, becoming conscious of your thoughts. Not stopping them, not controlling them, but watching them. Detach from your thoughts, and watch what your mind is screening through.  Don't stop them, and don't judge them like, "Oh this is a depressing thought", "This sounds great" ,etc. Just become a witness, not emotionally attached. If you do this correctly, soon, thoughts will reduce, you will think lesser. Its not a bad thing, you are not losing your ability to think, but taking control of your mind. Which doesn't happen by controlling your thoughts, but by detaching yourself from them and watching them. You will think, what you want to think. You will become a master of your mind.

Then it is all easy, the 4th step. 
Then become conscious of your feelings, emotions. Watch how you feel when you encounter something. If you made it till here, then for the first time, you won't depend on past experiences, you won't react. You will drop all your knowledge, all your theories, concepts, beliefs, expectations, doctrines, etc. You will act spontaneously, based on the present. This is called response. Now, you are completely in the present, you are spontaneous, living moment to moment. Your ego will turn into ashes. Because, the physical body and a biocomputer are not the only tools we are born with.  And this spontaneity is such a huge gift, it will open all the doors for you, doors of immense intelligence, and intuition. Then you are sane. Congratulations, you just arrived to the present moment. 

Now it is your choice, you are at a crossroad. You can take 3 paths from here. First, you can stay obsessed with your past. Second, you can go on seeking through non functional "solutions" or this. All the best.

TheRealCallie said:
You will be what you want to be.  You will be as you are until you decide to change.  
Considering you can't even see what you are doing, that's not going to happen any time soon, so I'm out. You are more worried about how to justify being rude to people.  Sorry.

You're out? Oh no. I mean no, please. The person here who has something to say about everything in here is "out" because I stopped and told the truth here? You could not talk your way into being right this time so you're out. Well then, that's fine. You're out. See you later.

I do not want to justify being rude to anyone. In here and in real life. How can you justify that? Wait! Don't tell me because I know you already have an answer.  What I do want is to be treated decently in here like how I see others get treated. You've talked to me a lot and shared a lot of private messages. You know I am not a bad person and I do care about what others think of me. But when I don't get a chance and continue to be at arm's length from everyone it really hurts.

But you're out. So don't worry about it. That's because you can't add anything else here to make yourself sound right. You have a safe new year and that goes for your family too.

BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:
You will be what you want to be.  You will be as you are until you decide to change.  
Considering you can't even see what you are doing, that's not going to happen any time soon, so I'm out. You are more worried about how to justify being rude to people.  Sorry.

You're out? Oh no. I mean no, please. The person here who has something to say about everything in here is "out" because I stopped and told the truth here? You could not talk your way into being right this time so you're out. Well then, that's fine. You're out. See you later.

I do not want to justify being rude to anyone. In here and in real life. How can you justify that? Wait! Don't tell me because I know you already have an answer.  What I do want is to be treated decently in here like how I see others get treated. You've talked to me a lot and shared a lot of private messages. You know I am not a bad person and I do care about what others think of me. But when I don't get a chance and continue to be at arm's length from everyone it really hurts.

But you're out. So don't worry about it. That's because you can't add anything else here to make yourself sound right. You have a safe new year and that goes for your family too.

No offense but I have seen you do the things that Callie says you do. Maybe some people have unfairly pushed you away but you've turned this into a self-fulfilling prophecy on more than one occasion.

Paraiyar said:
No offense but I have seen you do the things that Callie says you do. Maybe some people have unfairly pushed you away but you've turned this into a self-fulfilling prophecy on more than one occasion.

No offense taken.

I am not saying I am without fault here. I admit I have been wrong in a lot of occasions but the fact is it is not like that anymore and yes, people have unfairly pushed me away and that has made it very hard for me here.

BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:

I told you I would attempt to help until I didn't see any effort coming from you, until I didn't see you trying to change, until I didn't see you listening.  So yes, I'm out.  Should have been out a while ago, if I'm honest.

TheRealCallie said:
I told you I would attempt to help until I didn't see any effort coming from you, until I didn't see you trying to change, until I didn't see you listening.  So yes, I'm out.  Should have been out a while ago, if I'm honest.

You want me to be honest now? Ok I will. What do I have to lose?

You were my first real friend on here and I have learned a lot from you just by listening to you. I think you are extremely intelligent and I don't know how you know so many things about well, just about anything.

The only thing I can find fault in is your inability to admit you are wrong about anything. As long as I known you you've had to be right about everything and I'm sorry to tell you that no one is right all the time and that includes TheRealCallie.

You said you didn't see any effort coming from me. Again you're wrong but you won't admit that either. But I will move on if that's ok. A lot of things you told me did help me in real life situations, like you telling me to make sure to say hello to people, say hi to that clerk in the drug store and say hi to at least five people a day. In other words you were trying to help me get out of this shell I am in. You see, I remember what you say. But when I did it in HERE, especially one area, I got nothing. I'd say hi and I got nothing back. "Well," you would tell me, "no one has to respond to you. They are not required to." Fine. I didn't like it but it was fine.

The trouble is when something happens over and over again you get what you call frustrated. I tried to make the same effort in here that I did in real life but in here I was met with a closed door. After awhile when you are knocking on a door when you know people can hear you but pretend not to your effort and patience slowly slips away.

I did listen to you. I remember you asking me to write down my good qualities that I thought I had and my bad ones. I remember your encouragement when I was trying to go to some Meetup meetings. I remember you pushing me to keep trying in here. I remember a lot of things you said. I tried here. They do not want me here. That sums it up.

Big thing: Sometimes people have experiences and lives you could never understand or comprehend, that doesn't mean life is bad and that they don't want to believe life can be good too. The mistake comes from believing everything can be resolved by thinking positive and that other people can replicate what you did; that's not how it works. If someone tells you your advice didn't work, believe them and get over it, they are not trying to sabotage you or prove you wrong. If someone failed by doing the same as you, then maybe we don't control the outcome of things. In that case, please move on and have some humbleness. Putting time and effort and failing is not a problem of self-belief but just a cause of probability. We should get this in our heads and have a little compassion. If we believe everyone is different then we should respect they have different results with the same formula. Let's accept this and stay content with trying to help.

Xpendable said:
Big thing: Sometimes people have experiences and lives you could never understand or comprehend, that doesn't mean life is bad and that they don't want to believe life can be good too. The mistake comes from believing everything can be resolved by thinking positive and that other people can replicate what you did; that's not how it works. If someone tells you your advice didn't work, believe them and get over it, they are not trying to sabotage you or prove you wrong. If someone failed by doing the same as you, then maybe we don't control the outcome of things. In that case, please move on and have some humbleness. Putting time and effort and failing is not a problem of self-belief but just a cause of probability. We should get this in our heads and have a little compassion. If we believe everyone is different then we should respect they have different results with the same formula. Let's accept this and stay content with trying to help.

Good advice.....but it doesn't apply here.  Since you don't know everything, you can't possibly know that.  But still, even though it doesn't really apply here, it's good advice.

Xpendable said:

That's assuming they even tried the advice in the first place. Know a few on here who won't try anything suggested to them.

Paraiyar said:
That's assuming they even tried the advice in the first place. Know a few on here who won't try anything suggested to them.

You hold on. I listen to people a lot on here. Don't imply I don't.

Paraiyar can you explain what you just said? Was it directed at me? Because you don't know me AT ALL since I been here and if you didn't direct it at me then I was wrong but I still would like to know what you meant.

Thank you.

Xpendable said:

I learned that way too late.

Of all the times I have talked about my troubles talking women or even maintaining a casual conversation with them it occurred to me earlier today that I never gave a description of myself here so maybe you can figure out why this happens. It should be fairly obvious after I'm finished.

Picture someone in a room full of people who can give you a perfect rundown when looking at the carpet that is in the room and he can tell you the patterns in it and how many colors are in it. That's because this guy has been too busy staring at it for the past ten or fifteen minutes instead of trying to talk to someone. It gives off the impression that you are not interested in talking but the opposite is really the case.

I have been told by various sources and in different places that looks are not the most important thing to attract a girl. I've been told this in real life, I have been told this at least 10,000 times in the chat room by TheReal....I forgot her name now. <wink> I have read this many times in this forum alone. And I did not believe it at first but I do now.

Over the course of this past year I have seen a guy with a nose so big you can hang a hat on it. But he was with a very nice looking woman and she did not seem to mind or care at all. I saw another guy with ears so big that Dumbo would be jealous. Same thing. He was in the company of a very nice looking girl.

If I wanted to think negatively and dismiss these two examples I could have tried to convince myself that those two guys were rich and that is why those women were with them. It's easy to find a negative excuse for anything. The truth is what the guy with the big nose and the one with the oversized ears had over me was confidence. They probably looked these women in the eye when they first met them and let them know this is who they were and that was that.

This is not a breakthrough revelation for me. I have known this for quite some time. The only change is now I actually believe this is the case instead of trying to find any other excuses.

Maybe the next time my work has a lunch or a meeting I will keep this in mind.

Well that's it. This time, thank you for reading.

BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:

You want me to be honest now? Ok I will. What do I have to lose?

You were my first real friend on here and I have learned a lot from you just by listening to you. I think you are extremely intelligent and I don't know how you know so many things about well, just about anything.

The only thing I can find fault in is your inability to admit you are wrong about anything. As long as I known you you've had to be right about everything and I'm sorry to tell you that no one is right all the time and that includes TheRealCallie.

You are putting yourself into an infinite loop, can't you see it?

BeyondShy said:
Paraiyar said:

You hold on. I listen to people a lot on here. Don't imply I don't.

No dude it wasn't directed at you. Jeezes mate that comment just proved the whole self-fulfilling prophecy thing right...

Paraiyar said:
No dude it wasn't directed at you. Jeezes mate that comment just proved the whole self-fulfilling prophecy thing right...

This is what I get for trying to get some clarification.

BeyondShy, have you ever considered you might not be shy but simply reserved? It took me a long time to realise this, after a childhood of being told, ad nauseam, that I was shy. There is a difference.

And yes, get out of that feedback loop you are in. It is destructive.

I can relate to your post so much. That used to be me. The best advice I can give is to make an effort to stop self-monitoring all the time and just do things. You are constantly trying to analyse what each action means, what it might lead to, what each emotion entails and the possible cause and consequence. You are treating those thoughts as meaningful and real. The antidote is to take action - do the things you are scared to do. It doesn't matter how small you start. Your emotions are shaped by how you think the world to be, you need data from the real world to understand how the world actually is and how you can thrive in it. If you are stuck in your head you simply fill the unknowns with uninformed negativity.
I wrote the book "Assertiveness: Build Confidence, Earn Respect and Take Control" to explain how to go through the process of becoming more self confident and the logic behind it (Kindle store)

I've been gone for almost a year now and it's been kind of and up and down one but I imagine that is how it would be for anyone who is a member here or not. I used to be a daily poster in here but things got kind of difficult for me and I decided to cut down on my time here. I didn't want to fight with people about silly things anymore but at the same time I missed a lot of the people that I enjoyed talking to. There are some really good people here so I come back for the holidays and maybe a part in January but I will have to see about that.

It took me a long time to catch up on posts in here but one really stood out for me. In fact I was stunned by it. I'm talking about the one where VanillaCreme sadly reported to everyone in here about the passing of EveWasFramed. I was lucky to have a few nice conversations with her and I mourn her loss as much as the people in here who knew her much better than I did.

I see some new people in here that were not here when I left and I want to welcome them now. Some people have returned and some who have left that I really have no opinion of. You know, kind of like how you feel about me.

What I have been trying to concentrate on this past year is trying not to think of what I believe others may think of me at a certain time. And there have been times when it has worked and to be quite honest here many times when it has not. The times it has not has made me upset with myself and indirectly at the person who made me feel that way although I don't let them know it. I basically get upset with myself because I should know better. I doubt if anyone in here can identify with what I just said.

It is my hope that everyone here is doing well and will continue to do so in the new year. I know I am going to try.

Latest posts

Back