My enemy is myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ToddShark said:
Doesn't she like my sense of humor? It's MY sense of humor, I love it. We cannot live together if she doesn't like it.
Doesn't she like my favorite music? Movies? Go away. I don't want to go to cinema to watch movie I don't like just because she likes it.

Probably it sounds too selfish. But it's mark of self-confidence.

And do you know what's the best?
Women love it! Women love self-confident men. They accept you tell what you think.
They accept you tell "I don't like this movie. Watch it with your friend I'm going to play pool with my friends". They accept it and - surprisingly - they can respond "can I call you after the movie?"

Note: It doesn't mean you wil stop to behave as gentleman.

I'm sorry, but there's a difference between changing WHO you are and compromising about stupid irrelevant honeysuckle like music and movies.

There is also a difference between self confidence and being a...well, um, to put it nicely...um...not sure I can. I think you get my point.

Music and movies are part of my personality.
And fake my music prefferencies due to some woman is great example of low self-confidence.

I know it. I done it years and years. And women feel it. They know I'm just faking.

You probably didn't understand me properly.

Don't change myself to match somebody else.

Just present myself and seek who will match my personality.

ToddShark said:
Music and movies are part of my personality.
And fake my music prefferencies due to some woman is great example of low self-confidence.

I know it. I done it years and years. And women feel it. They know I'm just faking.

You probably didn't understand me properly.

Don't change myself to match somebody else.

Just present myself and seek who will match my personality.

I didn't like some of the honeysuckle my ex used to listen to and we were together for 12 years. So what? Music doesn't matter when you find someone you love. Movies don't either. You find a way to make it work, that's what relationships and compromise is all about.

I agree with you!
We are talking about the same but just by different words (I'm not native English speaker.)

I just mentioned that - as confident person- will not change my music prefferencies just because woman I want to date is listening something else.
I presented myself in real way not changed due to her prefferencies. And my wife liked me and started to love me.

My wife is listening disco, I'm listening jazz. And we love each other and we are living together more than 5 years already.

Yeah, but going to a movie you don't like just because she wants to go see it...that's a compromise. Just like her doing something you like that she may not like. It's about time together more than it's about what you're doing.

TheRealCallie said:
Yeah, but going to a movie you don't like just because she wants to go see it...that's a compromise. Just like her doing something you like that she may not like. It's about time together more than it's about what you're doing.

OK, we are moving discussion to somewhere else.
Maybe "movie" wasn't good example.

My real example was techno-parties - I really don't like this kind of music but my wife love it.
I just told ther - look, I don't like it. Take your friends, colleagues to this party. I will be your taxi-driver. I will come to pick you up any time you call me. But I will stay at home.

Because we spent a lot of time together I don't see it as issue. Better to claim my real feelings than
to fake "I like techno too". Women recognise any faking anyway.

Loving each other is having to do honeysuckle you don't like at the price of not being alone.

Xpendable said:
Loving each other is having to do honeysuckle you don't like at the price of not being alone.

I done it 20 years. I done everything woman wanted. Just to not be alone.
But every woman recognise weak personality. If man is always doing what woman
wants even he doesn't like it woman will not respect him. Result? I was alone.

Sometimes there is necessary to set up borders - No, I will not do it.
Woman has to have reason to respect a man. It taken years to understand it.

The result: I'm married with attractive woman, we have 2 kids and we love and respect each other.

That's my way. Will not work for everybody but if it helps at least for one man I will be glad.

TheRealCallie said:
Maybe you could stop speaking for every woman.....

He's just describing his experience. I blame his broken english on the misunderstanding.

TheRealCallie said:

Why stop now? He's been doing it for twenty years. He's on a roll. ;)

Xpendable said:
TheRealCallie said:

He's just describing his experience. I blame his broken english on the misunderstanding.

Maybe it is his broken English causing misunderstanding, but when someone says "EVERY woman," it's kind of hard to think that part is a misunderstanding. Even if that is his experience, his experience doesn't include every woman. SOME women, yes, but not EVERY woman. That's all I'm getting at.

Not every woman will recognize things. Not every woman will care, even if she does recognize it. It might also mean different things to different women. Aside from that, I don't really think every man will see doing something that a woman likes to do as weak or that she won't respect him.

ToddShark said:
My biggest mind-trick can be shortened to the following points:
  • love yourself
  • be proud of yourself (find anything you are - at least - slightly better than others)
  • you don't need anybody to be happy
  • nobody - except you - can make you unhappy

I know what you're saying and agree with most of it. However my list of things I can do better than others is a short list.. shorter than most. I mean there's a couple things on it.. but not much of any practical use to anyone. Additionally I certainly am not much of a people person, not very empathetic, often don't relate to people... But it's just me, that tends to be the way I operate--there is not much I can change.

What would you say in this case? I'm predicting the only thing you can say is to change my personality and act as if I care, when I really don't--which runs contrary to your core concept...

Batman55 said:
I know what you're saying and agree with most of it. However my list of things I can do better than others is a short list.. shorter than most. I mean there's a couple things on it.. but not much of any practical use to anyone. Additionally I certainly am not much of a people person, not very empathetic, often don't relate to people... But it's just me, that tends to be the way I operate--there is not much I can change.

What would you say in this case? I'm predicting the only thing you can say is to change my personality and act as if I care, when I really don't--which runs contrary to your core concept...

Sorry for late response.

I felt similar way as you many years. I'm not worth of any friendship, nobody loves me as I have nothing to offer. I can't play guitar. I can't play basketball. I can't dance!

You mentioned your list of thinks you can do better than others is short.

It's great!!!

Consider the most successful people are "better than others" just in one particular think.

The problem of many people that are really good in something is that they have doubts about themselves.

I don't know what's your list of thinks you are better than others.
May be you are superhero in some obscure online game. Then it's difficult to attract woman.
May be you are good student with all exams with As. Still more difficult to impress woman than school best football player. But not impossible. There is bunch of girls keen in literature, math, physics,...

May be you are pretty good in any other areas but you are comparing yourself with some woman idol.

I remember I wanted to play guitar because our class guitar players was always surrounded by girls.
And do you know?
Our class best guitar player was the first divorced one from our class
(Fortunately he is already happy many years in second marriage.)

One way is to ask your mom what she love on you.
May be she will tell you something you are ignoring yourself because you consider it as unimportant. But you have at least one person in your life who takes this part of your personality
as important. (Yes, I know. What your mom loves about you is not always you can use to impress women.)
Ask you friends. Teachers. Colleagues.

Remember movie "Wanted (2008)"? Wesley was considered by everybody as total looser.
By colleagues, girl-friend. Even by himself.
OK, movie is not high-quality but there is a hidden message.

Everybody has some ability helpful to others. Just to use it. Most difficult is to find this ability.

If people are asking you sometimes for help - bingooo. This could be this ability.
(If it's not always just "help me to move furniture to my new flat".)

Anyway. if you feel there is really-really nothing to be valuable by others try one trick.

Start to smile to people. Short smile to clerk. Smile to old woman when you keep doors open for her.

Believe me, since I use "Have a nice evening" instead of usual "Bye" in shops I made a lot of smiles on faces of tired clerks.
With smile and warmth you will distinguish yourself from the crowd.

(I know that smiling to unknown people could be hard. I can try to write about it later.)

ToddShark said:
Remember movie "Wanted (2008)"? Wesley was considered by everybody as total looser.
By colleagues, girl-friend. Even by himself.
OK, movie is not high-quality but there is a hidden message.

You are talking about a God damned movie. I never saw it and have no plans to see it but I am sure everything worked out well for him in the end. Why? Because it was written that way.

ToddShark said:
(I know that smiling to unknown people could be hard. I can try to write about it later.)

While I heavily anticipate your views on this extremely difficult subject I have to ask you to post your response in another thread. You've highjacked this thread long enough and I would like to get it back on course. Thank you.

TheRealCallie said:
So BeyondShy, have you found any other meetups you think you might enjoy? Since that's more on topic for this thread....

No I have not. There are a lot of meetups for people who play cards but I never got into that. There are a lot of hiking ones too but I am sure you remember what I told you about the condition of my knees. If I went there I would slow them up. So, no, I have not found one yet but I did find one for you. ;)

BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:
So BeyondShy, have you found any other meetups you think you might enjoy? Since that's more on topic for this thread....

No I have not. There are a lot of meetups for people who play cards but I never got into that. There are a lot of hiking ones too but I am sure you remember what I told you about the condition of my knees. If I went there I would slow them up. So, no, I have not found one yet but I did find one for you. ;)

I see nothing about snowy volcanoes on that meetup page. Must be an error....

BeyondShy said:
While I heavily anticipate your views on this extremely difficult subject I have to ask you to post your response in another thread. You've highjacked this thread long enough and I would like to get it back on course. Thank you.

Nah, it's not just Todd, it's also me. I was interested in what he had to say about my issue. Maybe another thread on this topic is the way to go, as you suggest.

Latest posts

Back