My Experiences with Prozac

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

I feel like talking a lot right now. So, I thought I would write it all down here. Perhaps someone will be able to relate or it might help someone in a way that I might not have thought of. Or, will just give members something to think about.

Anyways I wanted to talk with you about how I have been recently put on an anti-depressant. It's the generic of Prozac and Ive been on it for a few days. Three maybe? Or four. I had been put on zoloft a few years ago, when I was suicidal. It didn't work very well, if I remember correctly, I still felt like crap and it made me sleep all the time.

Prozac is different for me though. So far, it's made my anxiety go away. I never realized how much anxiety I had about life until I went on prozac. The psychiatrist told me that after a while I would stop worrying about my future so much, hm, so far, it seems like he is right.

Because it has taken away my anxiety, I now can talk more. I guess I feel more uninhibited? I always was so insecure about everyone knowing my faults and judging me that they consumed me, and I never realized that, well, maybe I did, but I couldn't step back and see it.

Here is a negative about the Prozac so far, it apparently impairs my reaction time and concentration. So, my driving ability has gone down hill. Now, this negative is probably one I might not be able to live with, unless, over time, it goes away. With my concentration, I can concentrate a lot better in a way.

The only way I can describe this shift of concentration is to say, if I were to step outside and look at things. I would see in detail the leaves on one tree, but then everything around it wouldn't be in focus. Whereas when the effects of prozac wear off, this tunnel vision of sorts goes away. It's really good for reading, this sort of concentration, but bad for driving because you need the general picture when you drive of everything happening around you, whereas with reading you can just concentrate on the concept or the page. Make sense?

I need to be able to drive though and not be a hazard on the roads.

I have also noticed that I need less sleep lately, that I wake up with the sunset even if I am really tired. So the prozac is cutting into my sleep patterns a bit, but I feel it could be remedied by going to bed earlier.

Okay, now that's out of my system. :)

Actually, this account is very helpful to me because my psychiatrist and I were talking about starting Prozac this week. It sounds like it's affected you in a mostly positive way, even though there were some side effects - as with all medicines (I don't drive so that type of concentration problem wouldn't affect me :p).

I was considering starting treatment next month and seeing how it works for me, after all everyone responds to anti-depressants differently. Your account on the experience has taken away some uncertainty for me, though :)

Well just keep in mind that I have only been on it a few days and it takes a few weeks before the full effects are known.

I will keep you posted if you'd like.

wow, I already have tunnel vision and ignore things around me while in turn being a crappy driver. Some ****** is slipping it into my drinks!

I hate to think what I'd be like if I actually went on it...

the side effects i experienced on anti-depressants decreased after a couple weeks. i hope your side effects decrease and that you can drive safely!!

I forgot to mention that I have been having suicidal thoughts as well, which I wasn't before I took the med, so I think that is another side effect. *shrug*

Hopefully the side effects do go away after a while.

Hi. I'm about to go pick up my first prescription of a variation of prozac. I can post the name once I get it...think it started with an S.

I don't think I'm depressed, but I just don't know for sure. I've had 3 really really bad days of emotional hurt, and uncontrollable crying. The 3 hardest days of my life. I feel much better today after speaking with an amazing counselor. I figure I'll try an antidepressant just in case the counselor's message wears off. I'll visit the counselor in another week....best thing I've ever done in my life! If I were rich, I'd pay for the rest of my life to see him. I thought I had all of the answers, but apparently I don't! This man sure seems to have them, though.

Isn't 3 days a little soon to be going on the pills? I generally thought they were for cases of depression which wont go away after a long period of time.

SophiaGrace - i'm sorry you're having suicidal thoughts. just remember it's a side effect of your medicine and don't act on those thoughts. i had suicidal thoughts for 10 years (many days, suicidal thoughts were 90% of my thoughts), but i'm still here. i learned that just because i'm thinking about it and wanting to kill myself, doesn't mean i have to act on it.

the first thing I noticed when I was on prozac was that I was yawning alot. I would feel like talking alot and I felt different, almost like if I was on speed but I felt very calm and confident.it was very odd experience.
I was cutting myself alot and it got so obvious that the place where I worked at -they pretty much told me to see a doctor ..got prescribed prozac.....but a few weeks later I blacked out while driving and my car rolled twice and landed perfectly on the shoulder of the highway, I didnt even had a scratch but the car was dead and smashed. i should have died, so I stopped the prozac because it still made me suicidal.

just started prozac myself 3 days ago and i have the weird yawns, like when i do yawn it has to be big, its odd?! Also feeln alert, nearly jittery but calm too, like taking ephedrine without the massive crash afterwrds. I do seem to be having trouble with sleep but i was before, however im waking up really early now, but because its so early, forcing myself back to sleep then not wanting to wake up again.... hoping it will make me less sad about my life and the bleakness and lonliness of every dull predictable day at work. We'll see.

When I took Prozac over a month or two...I lost all sense of time and could be completely immersed at whatever task at hand. It made me scared to die, literally driving was a terrifying experience. I had so much latent energy that I grinded my teeth in my sleep and had trouble even feeling well rested. Don't remember if it had any sexual side effects...hell I don't remember much.

tl;dr it turned me into a robot, worst experience of my life

Latest posts

Back