My Failed Friendship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaeGrl30

Reaction score
Well, since I seem to be in a posting mood on this forum today, I thought maybe I should share something that has been troubling me for the past four months. It's a drama filled and bitter tale, so you may skip it if you want. I don't mind. ^_^
(EDIT: And it's LONG too, a wall of text, if you didn't get the hint above. lol. It's really okay if you don't read it. I'm just venting here, because I am alone and lonely with no one else to vent to... and my cat is tired of me telling her the story. I feel less pathetic venting around people, this way. :p)

Well, for three years I had a close friend who lived in Arizona, across the country from me so not close physically. Even though we were miles apart, him and I were like siblings. I almost thought about posting this in the "relationship" thread, because we were really close, but it wasn't romantic by far. He is married with children, for one, and I don't ever allow myself to get involve with anyone who is married or in a serious relationship. Though, whenever he had a fight with his wife, he would suggest those "if only" ideas, which I turned him down every time with, "let's not go there. it would NEVER happen." :p

Anyways, because he was not honest with his wife about having a friendship with a woman across the country and strictly platonic, he put me in a very bad situation of being the "secret friend". Which meant he could only IM, text, and email me while he was at work in order to not raise her suspicions. I was not allowed to comment or post on his Facebook, because "the wife might see". I hated that and voiced being uncomfortable about it every chance I got, annoying the crap out of him because he wasn't going to change his mind and be truthful about our friendship. So, he couldn't simply text me or IM me when he was at home doing nothing or had free time.

It wouldn't matter that much to me, except it seemed that our friendship had to be on a schedule all the time, matching with his work hours. That meant, that if he had vacation time or a new work-shift change, I'd have to be without his communication when he was away or wait several hours until he comes into work. It also meant that if I wanted to talk with him I'd have to change my schedule around to meet his. Remember, we have two different time zones, so it often meant I either had to wake up before dawn or stay awake early in the a.m. It was really inconvenient for me, because it meant I had no control over when I slept, what was meal time, and often times I had to blow off appointments to places. I felt trapped in front of a screen all the time, life passing me by. And what's worse is that for the last two years we weren't talking non-stop for those hours, but he would freak every time I didn't answer back right away because as he put it, he wanted me to "just be there. I feel better knowing that you're always there."

Not showing up or being late to this schedule was a huge no-no and would result in a twenty line message or texts of him having a meltdown. Then I'd have to spend half the day convincing him that no, I haven't made a new friend and is ignoring him, and I'm not angry or disgusted with him. Fun times, right?

Anyhoo, as overly clingy that he was to me, I can't say much as I needed him just as much. He kept away my feelings of loneliness. From 9am - 6pm (or 4pm - 2am, or 10am-4pm, depending on his changing work schedules), Monday through Friday, I couldn't be alone even if I wanted to. He insisted that I carry my phone with me at all times for texting... threw a fit when I didn't and replies were slow. I remember saying at the end of the friendship, "I'm a writer, Jim! Not a doctor!", which he didn't find the joke in that. >_>
So literally he was with me ALL THE TIME. I liked the idea of never being alone, but hated having to carry a phone with me every second (even to the bathroom) and having to give quick replies. That part of the friendship was really unhealthy and I don't miss it.

What ended the friendship was when he began to ask this and more, yet couldn't find the time to watch a clip that I sent him or read a nice article I posted on my blogs. He was quick to follow my blogs and chase off any guy who commented on there in response to my articles, but he didn't have to time to actually read anything. That was annoying. Also, he wanted recognition for his birthday every year (who doesn't?) and I'd do the whole song and dance with cheering happy birthday and asking him what he will do to celebrate... yet he could never care to remember my birthday, even though it's the day after his. :-/
One year, he did wish me a happy birthday and I admit that I was a bit of jerk in responding, "Seriously???? You remembered? Wow, I must savor this moment!" I can be a bit of a snert, when I want to, but it was nice that he did remember for once. Then forgot it again, later. D'oh!

So, why were we ever close? Well, when it came to sharing our daily lives, thoughts, and dreams we just understood each other completely. My reaction to a situation and paranoid thoughts was the same as his and vice versa. We both love to laugh, so the goal was to make each other laugh so much and so hard that the other's chest hurt. And we succeeded in that every day. He kept my lonely life from being lonely and I kept him well entertained at his mundane job. But it fell apart four months ago, because I got tired of the schedules and always being the one inconvenienced, making all the sacrifices for our communication. His side was easy... all he had to do was show up for work and turn on his phone or computer. I had to cut appointment, cut sleep, skip meals, skip hobbies, skip any thoughts of doing anything I wanted during that time slot. And also, I had to live with the guilt that he was doing something behind his wife's back, in being my friend. This didn't bother him, but it bothered me a lot... being that if I ever have a special person in my life, things like this won't be hidden, because I would love and respect that person too much.

I'm not proud that my loneliness (or fear of it) caused me to deal with that for three years. It's made me look deeper into myself and my issue with being alone, the desperation of it all. A few had suggested that I need a romantic mate, not a friend, yet I'm uninterested in that at this time. I just wanted a close pal that I can spend hours with... not as many hours as he had it, but not the usual 15 minutes that people tend to spend with me, sporadically.

I miss that spark we had, of sharing stupid comics and web articles with each other, speaking about art, music, and life in general. Our comedy routines of trying to outdo each other in laughs. I miss that when I felt scared or vulnerable, or had a face full of tears, he would calm me down and have me laughing and crying at the same time in the matter of seconds. And vice versa, I miss doing that for him too.

I have tried emailing him three times, which may have been a bad move on my part, asking him if we could start over in the friendship. No more hard schedules like that and him asking his wife if it's okay for him to have a long distance email buddy. No response and I doubted I would get one. I know him too well... he's an "all or nothing" kind of guy. He doesn't know the meaning of compromise and easily can write off friends (or wives, as this is his second wife... and probally not the last) without a thought. I've seen him do it a few times before, with people we mutually knew. They didn't behave in the way he liked, but instead of working it out and compromising, he said "forget them! I don't need them!" I somehow knew that someday that might be me as well. u_u

So, I'm moving on but it's painful still, of course. I wouldn't want a friend like him again and no one could ever replace him. I don't want a replacement and not looking for one! But, I would like to someday find that close friendship again, that exciting spark of knowing someone so similar to me, and with someone who doesn't have a need to keep me a secret or so strict with the scheduling. I'd like to have a real close relationship with someone who wants to and is able to communicate naturally, not like a play-date.

And this is my long story. ^_^

That was a very well-written story. It's the first wall of text I have ever managed to read in this forum and I don't doubt you at all for being an excellent writer, Fae.

Ha! Thanks, perfanoff! :)
I do try to warn that I write in walls of texts, I can't help it. I'm a novelist at heart. lol.
But, I often get that reaction that my wall of texts are good and entertaining... and it's flattering every time! So, thank you so much! ^_^

SophiaGrace said:
Can you summarize that at the bottom? :)

Nope, not really. ;^_^
I could try... "friendship that didn't work out, because friend was too controlling". But, that leaves out a lot and doesn't explain it fully. If I start a summary, I'll fall into another huge thread just for that summary. I'm sorry, but it's a complicated situation and I'm surprised that I explained it so short, as it is. o_O
But thanks for trying to read it. I just felt like venting, is all. ^_^

Gutted said:
SophiaGrace said:
Can you summarize that at the bottom? :)

This. That wall of text felled me lol.

Sorry, Gutted. I'm a wall of text, nothing simple about me. :p
Just ignore it and move on then. I don't mind. ;)

In fact, I had a feeling that a few many not want to read all of that... that's why I went with it, because I'm not interested in blurb-ing that part of my life and situation, otherwise I'd Facebook it. It keeps those who want to really read my story separated from those who are just looking for juicy gossip. LOL! XD
No offense! I wrote it more for me than for anyone else, just because I felt like venting. ;)

FaeGrl30,

~ I enjoyed reading your wall of text :) (even though it is rarity for me to post something long).

~ First word & thought: **** - I have done the same thing a lot of times in my life being there for someone and being on standby with nothing to show for it (and now becoming more and more bitter about it as life goes on - please do not fall into that trap).

~ It appears we could be similar in the area of never wanting to hurt someone else's feelings - especially not being there for someone - and willing to adjust our schedules and what not even though it could be extremely detrimental.

~ While some may think it is bunch of baloney (I do not), I wondered as I was reading your post if you are really empathic - an emotional intuitive.

~ There was a point in the post that I saw myself concerning him - if someone pushes me to far, I can walk away without it bothering me as long as I tried and gave everything possible within reason.

~ I admire your ability to write - I keep a dream journal and a lot of people have said that I should write fantasy novels from it, but writing is not in me. However, I can meditate or before going asleep use the time to write a mental novel. The last one without missing a beat took around 14 hours to complete. (It centered around an alternate history with Boudica, Vespasian, etc covering the time from around 61 A.C.E to 69 A.C.E with an epilogue on horseback heading towards Noricum & Dalmalia from Rome).

~ I tend to devour fantasy novels at the rate of one to two per week.

~ And, it sounds like you are a person who wants to develop a deep, emotional intuitive, platonic bond with someone, but it is hard to find. If this is the case, I know what it is like and my relationships suffered from this.

^^^ My version of a wall of text. :p

ps: I was hesitant to say this previously, but I do find it is interesting your post was modified at 3:33.

- 3 = creativity and self-expression and
- 33 = master number for understanding and knowledge.

How could you ever have a real friendship based on deception of his wife. A friend wouldn't sneak around he'd be honest... Unless of course he's been caught having too many friends

sounds like a bad situation to even enter into IMO

^^ I have to agree.

I'm married guy who has had a female best friend online for many years. we are also close and like siblings in a way. I always say that she is somewhere between my sister, my daughter and best friend.
we are also very far from each other and never met in person.
the big difference with me is... that my wife is sitting right beside me while i chat most times, and ive even tried to get her into online interests and wanted to introduce them at times, but my wife has no interest in pc's or anything like that and doesnt really care. (she also got sick of me talking about it half the time so i try not to bring it up much anymore lol)
But, I think that if I started telling my friend that I had to hide her, or sneak around or anything of that nature, she would be gone like the wind in no time.. even after all the time ive know her.
it sounds to me like your guy friend was into more than just a friendship with you, otherwise those thoughts of "what if" would never come up unless it's in a joking or passing thought thype thing.
we've been know to pass back and forth some perverted jokes here and there, or even flirtatious type comments, but nothing that I would feel a need to hide.. just stuff we might say to anyone or coworker or whatever.

I hope that you dont give up on all male "friends" because of this. it IS completely possible to have friends of the opposite sex that are purely platonic and will reciprocate in all the ways you like.
infact, I enjoy having female friends that I have no romanic relationship with.

I think it started for me when I first came online many years ago and crossed paths with a few idiotic teens boys right away, but then wandered into a chat channel and met a girl that i seemed to connect with right away. the two of us went on to build a gaming guild and we ruled our little community for over a year together.
guy friends for me = inevitable conflict and more distant friendships.
female friends for me = feeling of comfort, more caring and deeper convo's.

btw: walls of text can be a good thing =)
yours isnt even that long... i've been know to hit the post window character cap and had to break up my posts into multiples ;p

Hey, Bones. ^_^
Yep, it was pretty messed up, but I'm moving on from it now. Thanks for your kind words! I came here to actually remove the post, as it was just a venting moment and not so important to take up space. But it won't let me edit it and I don't know how to remove it. Darn! Should be a warning that if you post things here it sticks. XD
I am a person who can only make deep, emotional, and platonic bounds. I know no other way to my friendship, even my current best friend and I are more like sisters than just plain friends. I've known her for over five years and probably will be friends with her well into my 60's (that's about the next 28 years or more, btw). ^_^
I wouldn't say that I'm overly emphatic, but just the average. But it's awesome that you got that impression of me. Thank you. :)
Anyways, it was nice hearing from you. I'm not much on this forum now, because I'm getting into a new blog again. lol. I can't seem to stop writing... it's my passion and obsession. ;)

@ Loser#1 - Yep, I shouldn't have gone with that. I was just so lonely at the time, without ANY friends, and then out of nowhere an "angel" appeared... the coolest friend that I ever experienced in my entire life. Even if his faults, he was the best friend I ever experienced at that time. So, I put up with something that I knew wasn't right, out of desperation to hold onto a friendship and not be lonely. Have I learned my lesson now? You betcha! ;)

@Hank2 - Thanks for commenting and sharing your story! I love to be reminded that I'm NOT CRAZY for not feeling okay as a secret friend. Only because he did convince me for three years that I was being silly for not being okay about it. It just felt wrong to me, because I have been friends with married men before and their wives. Or sometimes the wives and I didn't like each other, due to a clash of personalities, but it didn't matter because I was just their husband's annoying friend. lol. Or vice versa, with being the wife's annoying friend, and the husband didn't like me. It's hard to meet single people my age just for friendship, so someone is either married or soon to be... or recently divorced and with a new girlfriend or boyfriend.

But, this felt wrong from the start, especially when his wife sounded like her and I would have a LOT in common. So, I also thought that too, that he edging things a little more than just being friends. And every "what if" situation, we would have a serious talk about that. I often felt bad, because I was brutally honest with him and told him often that it would never happen. That even if he was single and I just met him, it would never happen. And he would ask why a lot, and I was so honest, pointing out every little thing that just didn't fit in with my usual dating patterns. I hated to do that! I felt sick to my stomach every time I had to be so brutal and I apologized much for it too. But I was too afraid NOT to be so frank and rude about it, because I never wanted him to have a doubt in his mind that I am not interested in him that way. But looking at it now, that's too much to go through for a friendship... :-/
Anyways, no I'm not letting that convince me at all that I can't be friends with men. Maybe not straight ones, though. LOL! I do have a few gay pals on Facebook, they're nice and none of that malarkey happens with them. We may flirt, share a dirty joke or two, like you do with your friend. But since they're gay, they're not asking "what if". XD

OH, and in the risk of me really stretching out my wall of text in these replies (Gir: "Look at me go! I'm doing it!" ^w^), I must add to your btw, Hank2! I'm nodding my head like crazy to your maxed character/separating posts issue! Rarely do I max out posting space with forums, BUT I can relate being that when I really get into explaining something or replying to people, I can go on forever (apparently!). LOL! When I posted this thread, I didn't realize it was long, until I hit "post". And then I thought, "well, maybe no one will notice or care about that." I was wrong! ROTFL! People noticed. But looking back over it, it's not important and I should have saved it for one of my wordpress blogs instead. ;^_^
People come to forums like this for small chit-chat and fun, not for essays. I'm just an internet dinosaur trapped in the old ways of forums, where if replies or posts were only a few lines, it was flagged for spamming. Long posts were encouraged. "TLDR" was unheard of in those days and Twitter with it's 140 character limit would have been considered a site to go spam on. In a lot of ways, this change in communication makes me feel a lot lonely... and OLD! :p

Latest posts

Back