My life is at a stand still ...and has been for 3 years, Im despairing!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger lily

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum as I really could do with some advice at the moment.

Im 24 years old and all the way up until I graduated from university I was happy with life. Ive always been a people person who likes making people laugh and always had a small group of close friends.

However ever since I left uni 3 years ago everything has turned into a disaster. Firstly I came back home because I had nothing else planned. Ive lost contact with lituarlly all my friends, either they have moved back home or they moved in with their partners and I never hear from them anymore. I re-connected with old friends from school, but I found Ive chnaged so much since then and they seem to have stayed the same. The converstaions they have are nothing meaningul at all and it just bores me. I got into two designs jobs (which i graduated in) I made no friends in the first job, I was the only girl and all teh men were loud and crude and I ended up feleing so depressed. So i moved jobs again, but now the work is less creative and Im being to think its not even the job for me. stuck in front of a computer all day with no social interaction. Again everyone is male with familes so I cant make a friend out of any of them.

Im a very independant person yet Im still stuck at home which bores me so much, although its very loving at home me and my parents have nothing in common. On top of all this Im 24 and never had a boyfriend and my confidence is dropping because I get no interest from men , mainly because I never meet anyone these days. I'm fairly good looking, interesting and funny but I just have no contact with like minded people. Ive joined groups, activites to try and meet new people, even photography/ art courses, Ive tryed everything but in every case I just meet older people, no one my own age.

Im so lost right now, I feel like I want to move away and have a fresh start in a new city so I can make new friends but I know the lonliness would kill me. Having no one to reply on, the earliest place I could go would be 2.5 hours away. Also is it really right to leave your family? Id feel bad for deserting them. I feel like Ive missed the boat in everything. I no longer know what I want from life and nothing has changed in 3 years! Im beginning to feel like a differnet person. My parents are very unhappy for me and they can see how sad I am, but only I can changed things. Yet I don't know what to do. Ive not had a laugh with anyone for ...well I can hardly remember. I long to have my old happy self back but I don't know how.

Im adventourous person at heart and I feel like im not being true to myself staying in my home town which s a boring place. But I feel like the courage it would take for me to make the move unbearable. How can I do that all on my own, Id be even more unhappy.

If anyone could offer me any wise advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there Tiger Lilly, welcome. You mentioned that you can not meet ppl of your age. Have you thought about making friends older then you. Age does not really matter it is more importend to share intrests. I had a very good friend that was 15yrs older then me but we had a great deal in common and she taught me alot about life.

Ladysphinx said:
Hi there Tiger Lilly, welcome. You mentioned that you can not meet ppl of your age. Have you thought about making friends older then you. Age does not really matter it is more importend to share intrests. I had a very good friend that was 15yrs older then me but we had a great deal in common and she taught me alot about life.

Thanks Ladysphinx.

I see your point. If I had things in common I would of become friendly but I've never experience this as of yet. The older people I meet are often in familes commitments and not looking for friends themselves. Thankyou anyway though.

Hi Tiger Lilly,

I understand a lot of what you are saying. I left college over a year ago. I have drifted away from those I was close to in college, and I miss them.

I felt lost after leaving college, and when I started work I was working with people who had children and families, and I never see any of them outside of work.

The only advice I would have is keep your head up, and try to find new activities. Maybe there is something you have in common with the people you work with, some hobby you can enjoy together or talk to them about.

I know how tough it is. I am here if you need a sympathetic ear

BrianD said:
Hi Tiger Lilly,

I understand a lot of what you are saying. I left college over a year ago. I have drifted away from those I was close to in college, and I miss them.

I felt lost after leaving college, and when I started work I was working with people who had children and families, and I never see any of them outside of work.

The only advice I would have is keep your head up, and try to find new activities. Maybe there is something you have in common with the people you work with, some hobby you can enjoy together or talk to them about.

I know how tough it is. I am here if you need a sympathetic ear

Thanks

Latest posts

Back