My own hang-ups

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

October

Reaction score
Some things about me and my lonely life.

I am a lone man, but not altogether lonely. I am the wall standing between a ‘normal’, socially active life, and the one I live. My outlook on life has always kept me partially isolated from others. I used to fake it, by assuming the necessary personality to fit in, but over time I have learned to live my life, my way, within the laws of society. Because I choose to be antisocial, Some people think I have an elitist attitude, and place myself above the human race, on the contrary, I am very humble and respect and love people more than anything else in this world. I just haven’t figured out a way to socialize with them…yet.

I am the master of ‘small talk’ in real life, to the point of being annoyed with myself. It is great for work though, my employers love the fact I don’t gossip or waste time on Monday morning talking about my Friday night adventures at the local pub. I am friendly enough, but at the same time I can see that people feel frozen from what they assume is a cold shoulder.

I am quirky, Not in a ‘don’t invite this guy to dinner’ kind of way, but in a ‘he is just a little different’ sort of way. Trying to make sense out of the would has consumed a good portion of my time, and it shows. I tend to over analyze people in an effort to find the real meaning behind their actions, this has hampered my love life, my family life and the majority of my relationships.

Example: I was in the market yesterday and the cashier said to me, after I purchased a can of coffee and some bananas, “make sure to get out there and enjoy the day.” He leaned in a little closer, lowering his voice. Then said “This is, after all, god’s country”. This may have been the meaningless conversation of an overworked grocery clerk, but it struck me in a strange way. I spent the next few hours trying to pick it apart, like a dog trying to scavenge the last piece of meat off a thoroughly chewed bone. Was the cashier implying that I am wasting my life? Was he making the assumption that I don’t take each day as a blessing? Was he trying to push his faith on me? Could he tell, by just looking at me, that I am a reclusive man with no friends? How could he tell, having no prior knowledge of me, and judging by my small purchase, that I don’t seize each day by the haunches and pound it into submission? I was confused, and trying my best not to over think it….I failed. Needless to say I will go through his line again, and again, and again, and yet again, trying to piece together his assumption of me. I don’t care what he thinks, really, but It is like a puzzle for me.

All in all, I am pretty happy. With my discovery of the internet 3 years ago I have found a way to socialize without searching for meanings behind everything. Text/online based relationships are a refreshing breath of air for me. I don’t search for hidden undertones of malice or envy, joy or sadness. I don’t pick apart the conversations for hours/days/weeks until finally settling on the fact that I am nuts!

That is all I have for now. Can’t wait to get more involved in the community, and maybe I’ll swing by the chat someday, too!

I think it's very humbling to read that you know you pros and cons. That you understand you postion in your life. I think that's the hardest part for people to do, to accept whats going on around them. It's not until that point that you'll be able to proactive and assertive toward things you might want to change.

I have to say I agree with you. I constantly pick things apart terrified that people are thinking badly of me or judging me ina way I don't want. I tend to put on the front but the truth is I'm just not the person the few people I know see. I don't want people to know how alone I really am because then I know I'll be judged for it, when in reality I'm doing nothing wrong as a person, I just don't 'fit in' like they do.

I think it's very humbling to read that you know you pros and cons. That you understand you postion in your life. I think that's the hardest part for people to do, to accept whats going on around them. It's not until that point that you'll be able to proactive and assertive toward things you might want to change.

I have to say I agree with you. I constantly pick things apart terrified that people are thinking badly of me or judging me ina way I don't want. I tend to put on the front but the truth is I'm just not the person the few people I know see. I don't want people to know how alone I really am because then I know I'll be judged for it, when in reality I'm doing nothing wrong as a person, I just don't 'fit in' like they do.

Yes, indeed. Acceptance is great, but at the same time it's like the path leading up the mountain. You know where you stand, but the road ahead (the want or need to change) is steep and treacherous! That is how I feel, at least.

Thanks for your comment, Ohemgee : ) Much appreciated.

Good for you, I'm a big believer in being yourself. When you try to fit in you are faking it, it's being dishonest with yourself and the people around you.

I too sometimes over analyze things. I try not to when it's just random. Like your example there, I'd figure the clerk was just being nice, some like to come up with something a little more witty instead of have a nice day. The last part though, I'd be like, uh...o..kay..., quickly grab my things and be on my way.

Our minds create ptiblems so it can resolve problems.

Our brain is designed to solve prolems...such as mathematical
Equation.
Our creative mind sometimes create problems.

Do you have a hobby?
Art...musuc....etc
it might give your creative mind something to do aside
From driving you nutz...

@Sci-fi - Yeah, I think that last part really threw me into a loop.

@Lonesome Crow - Indeed. I am a member of another forum for collective, creative writing. It is a great thing that has provided a safe form of escape/comfort for me. It helps me forget about the hang ups and get lost in a fantasy world.

Thanks for the responses!

Im into photography now...just another hobby
i started within the past couple of years.
I also create art out of some of my photo.
They're absract.
But it keep me sane
It gives my creative mind an outlit.
I guess it can be picked apart....but really its not a bjg deal.

I have you trued meditations?
Sometimes our brain needs a break or to be shut off.
Our analytical mind sometimes gose in iver drive.
Once we become cnnsious or awear thats all that's
happening. Jts not such a big deal anymore.

Meditation will teach you to be transparent to
You thoughts and feekings.
Its kind of like detachment.

Kind of like dont let people rent space in your head.

The thing of it is....i have a committee in my head too.
Same solution...
Dont let my committee rent soace in my head.lol
our troubles are of our making sometimes.

Latest posts

Back