My view on religion (May depress you)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insignificant

Reaction score
I got in an argument with some guy about religion and realized that I never really defined my view on religion. I decided to think it out and came up with this. I thought it was very sad and whondered if someone else might be able to do something to help me out, so I googled forums about life and this was the first thing that came up. I decided to get an account and see what other people thought. I guess I don't really have any better reason for posting this than I didn't have anything else to do with it and I didn't want to do nothing.
Also, I apologize for any mispelled words.

Warning: This is a really depressing word wall

Life isn't fair. Once you exist, you can't un-exist. You didn't ask to exist, you were forced into it, and the people responsible for it ask you to love them simply because they brought you into this world, like it is some great favor you are repaying them for. And once you do exist, you have to go through life and answer unanswerable questions, usually about religion. The great thing about religions is that all the proof they need is usually is in some anchient book. Two things that all religions have in common are that they say that the others are wrong, and they ask for faith because there is no way to prove them right. There are almost infinite religions and no matter who you ask about religion, they will think they are right, because from their point of view, they are. There is no way to know which one, if any, is right. If you are wrong, the price is almost always eternal damnation. So unless you believe without a shadow of a doubt that you are right, and mabey even if you do, you are completely and totally screwed and you can't do anything about it. Almost all religions require faith, and none of them give much proof. Its like standing on a pillar and you can't see the ground because you are so high and there are hundreds of people saying there is a safe landing, only none of them say the safe landing is in the same place and the pillar could colapse at any time. Many people say that the fireworks going off in that direction prove that that is the way to jump, a second group say the fireworks prove that that is NOT the way to jump, and other people are whondering what fireworks they are talking about because they don't see any, or think the fireworks are in another direction. When chosing which way to jump, you have to consider that the majority might not be right. In the end, the only way you can know for sure is if you jump and survive. And how did you all get there? WHO KNOWS!? There are millions of explinations, none of them with solid evidence to back them up. Its all a matter of faith, wich you are screwed without. I, having no faith, am one of these people standing around going,"What the fresia are you all doing!? Running around yelling at each other, killing just to prove a point, lieing. Its pure chaos and none of you are actually doing anything to make it better!" And noone CAN make it better. We just live our lives and eventually fall of the pillar by accident, or some people jump on purpouse because they think they are right, and others are pushed off by people trying to benefit themselves somehow. Did any of them survive? How would we know? The answer is we CAN'T. We may think we can, but no matter how much we do, we just can't prove it. I'm tired of talking about this because it depresses me. I won't believe anything untill I see evidence, and so far, I have seen none...I know, its not a good view. I never said it was, but I don't know what else to believe. This whole thing is stupid. I don't see why we always have to ask these unanserable questions, but if we don't, then life is meaningless, and if we do, then life becomes too complicated and ultimately, an annoyance. I should have never started thinking about this so much, because now I'm sad. I only started thinking about it because I got in an argument with this guy about religion and realized I didn't have my own view of religion completely thought out. Now that I do, I'm not sure that I'm any better off.

In the last 500 years, infant mortality has decreased, while life expectancy and average calories consumed per day have increased for developed nations. This suggests that people do indeed, make it better.

insignificant said:
This whole thing is stupid. I don't see why we always have to ask these unanserable questions, but if we don't, then life is meaningless, and if we do, then life becomes too complicated and ultimately, an annoyance.

I just want to address your point about life being meaningless. I would agree that life is without purpose, meaning that there is no real reason why we're here. But I don't agree that life is meaningless because there are questions we can't answer. We have the capability to feel love, sadness, anger, joy...all of those emotions and how we experience the world gives us meaning.

The term your searching for and would probably do you some good to research is called existentialism. If illustrations help you easier, rent a movie called "Waking Life", and you may still have questions but at least you'll understand that there are people out there (more than you think) that feel the exact same as you, but continue on because of the incredible amounts of meaning we can extract from our lives.

:)

I hate my mind. It just keeps thinking and thinking and thinking. By the time I reach a conclusion, I'm on a completely diffirent topic than I started on and can't remember what it was. Some of this stuff I'd like to share with people, but its so random that a lot of people would whonder how one thing was related to the other.

the problem with religion is people misusing it.

like anything in life really it can be a good thing if you use it right.
if you dont understand it ,use it for the wrong reasons or stop thinking for yourself it can go horribly wrong.

any bible is still written by people saying its the word of god.
has been and still is misused for power and controll.
i dont trust people enough to put my intire life and believes in their hands.
and i like thinking for myself.

insignificant said:
I hate my mind. It just keeps thinking and thinking and thinking. By the time I reach a conclusion, I'm on a completely diffirent topic than I started on and can't remember what it was. Some of this stuff I'd like to share with people, but its so random that a lot of people would whonder how one thing was related to the other.

It's nice to know i'm not the only one like this out there.

Bruce Williams said:
I have strong belief on religion and God.This faith saves you from stress,depression and anxiety.Later it gives you solid energy to do well,perform well and keep in mind that strong belief and faith is necessary to win.

I always thought it was better to have faith in yourself and the people around you and be there for each other and give each other hope than use religion as a sort of scapegoat.

Don't get me wrong, religion is good for those that were taught that way and will follow blindly like sheep. It ain't for me though. I wish one day everyone will wake up and realise the truth itself is a lie.

This is a subject that many people have a hard time staying civil with. If this devolves into a religious debate or a general tirade against all people of faith, it will be closed.

Sorry I didn't read everything yet but I have to say something about "You didn't ask to exist, you were forced into it". That is not true , while most religions tell you that you start to exist only when you are formed inside the womb there are those who have a different view on life and existence. Look at Buddhism , they believe that after you die your soul will just reincarnate again (as a human). From their point of view we all have a choice after death where to reincarnate. So basically the infant chooses who will be hes parents. So you are not obliged to do absolutely anything after you are reborn because your parents did not chose you , you did that.
So back to my original thought , everything has at least a 2 sided story and you cannot bring something up before knowing their stories.

Minus said:
This is a subject that many people have a hard time staying civil with. If this devolves into a religious debate or a general tirade against all people of faith, it will be closed.

If this was aimed at me I apoligise if not never mind.

No it is just a general thing. Over the years we have not had a lot of luck with threads on religion staying civil. They start off well but some turn them into general tirades. As long as it does not become a debate and it stays civil then it should be fine.

Well, I actually can kinda agree with some of the stuff on here. Life is unfair, and is full of suffering. I sorta believe in God but all this is dwindling, due to all the bad stuff that's happened to me.

The concept of God is based on our fears and desires. When you're young you don't need God. If you're lucky enough, you'll have a loving family. You felt safe, because you know you can count on your parents to protect you. When you grow up, become a young adult the realization how alone and vulnerable is frightening. People need to believe someone is giving justice, That something will look about their well being always and everywhere. I myself do believe in God. Not the kind of God christianity, islam or any other religion wants for me to believe in. I do believe that death isn't the end for us, but I don't believe in St. Peter guarding the Heaven's gates. Energy always find a way to circulate in nature and I don't see why we should be any different. I do believe that energy in humans is the soul. Something we know almost nothing about. There is a theory that in the exact moment after your death, your body weight is reduced by 21 grams. That is your supposed soul leaving your body. If this is true, we are more insignificant than we think we are. Maybe that's why God is turning his back on humanity whenever he wants to.

Latest posts

Back