need a good laptop

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Just_Some_Dude

I want something fairly dependable and I hear some of the newer laptops out are not so dependable. I want something maybe with an integrated webcam and mic.

any suggestions...?

I like my HP Pavilion despite the fact that it runs Windows Vistas. The webcam and mic are integrated. It's a few years old already, so giving you the model number would be pointless. It's already obsolete. But it has served me well... and still does.

The Dell Studio 15 laptops are good. I have had decent experience with Dell. The one's with the core i5, and i3 are cheaper with better battery life.

I suggest getting the extra warranty. This has served me well more than once, very handy.

-a

Stay away from Acer. Acer = devil computers.

Usually I go for either HP or Dell....but Dell is annoying because if you order a computer from them, they'll spam your phone for two years, asking if you want product support and warranties. :p

----Steve

I have had a HP Pavilion for about a year and its worked great for me so far.

Badjedidude said:
but Dell is annoying because if you order a computer from them, they'll spam your phone for two years, asking if you want product support and warranties.

I had that experience with Gateway. So annoying!

That was my first laptop. I'm happier with my HP Pavilion.

Disclaimer: Minty doesn't know when to shut up when it comes to computers :p

What's your budget JSD? Is portability a big factor in your choice? There are a lot of decent offerings between $400 and $600 for people on a budget. I would would stick with pentium dual cores on the lower end and core 2 duos on the higher end within that price range as far as processors are concerned. Starting at around $600 are the Core i3 laptops. More power, newer and more efficient hardware under the hood. At around $750-800 you get into the core i5 laptops which will give you ample power for the foreseeable future. Whatever you get make sure it has a minimum of 4 gigs of ram and 64 bit windows 7 home premium. And stick with Intel processors. Also, almost every laptop out there these days pretty much comes with a webcam and mic standard with the exception of the cheapest models.

As far as brands, it's a little harder to judge hardware quality because all of the computers on the market basically use components from the same three or four manufacturers in China. But Dell has a pretty good rep regarding customer support. And here's some data on reliability. It might help if you are the kind of person who struggles with whether or not purchase an extended warranty. Personally I have had good experiences with dell products. I have a 4 year old Dell business laptop that works great.

Lastly, I find that one of the retailers with with the best prices is actually Best Buy. They get away with very thin margins on the mid to low end because they dupe people into buying all sorts of bullshit optimizations, upgrades and junk like that. Avoid that and you have some really great deals even with shipping factored in. And even when compared to buying directly from manufacturers like Dell. Also Newegg.com Is quite good as far as price. I am a regular there:D

With all that said, the truth is that minty is an apple guy:p

mintymint said:
At around $750-800 you get into the core i5 laptops which will give you ample power for the foreseeable future.

Translation: It will last you about a year or so. Two, if you're careful. ;)

----Steve

mintymint said:
With all that said, the truth is that minty is an apple guy:p

It's like a cult with you Apple-people, I swear. That must be some good Kool-Aid. :p

Badjedidude said:
mintymint said:
At around $750-800 you get into the core i5 laptops which will give you ample power for the foreseeable future.

Translation: It will last you about a year or so. Two, if you're careful. ;)

It really depends on how much future you can foresee :p But if you hit the sweet spot in the market, you should get a good 4-5 years out a computer.

cheaptrickfan said:
It's like a cult with you Apple-people, I swear. That must be some good Kool-Aid. :p

I swing both ways... just a little further towards the forbidden fruit is all:D

LOL XD NOOOOOOOOO!!!! SPAAAAAAM!!!! :p

I already have one...it's my Dell. I got rid of windows and threw Ubuntu on there. :p But it's still a PC!!! :D

----Steve

mintymint said:
cheaptrickfan said:

I swing both ways... just a little further towards the forbidden fruit is all:D

I love it when you talk geek, Minty. ;-)

loketron said:
once you go mac youll never go back

Another cultie!

Badjedidude said:
loketron said:
once you go mac you're just kinda goddamned annoying and uppity about it

LOL fixed. ;) No (true) offense to you mackies.

lol BJD!

mintymint said:
Wow... just how bad are you Badjedidude?

I'm so evil...that I double-boot Ubuntu with Windows...so I'm never fully reliant on either OS. XD I should pick a side someday.

----Steve

I'm extremely pleased with my Asus K61IC. It's very stable, it's built sturdy, and has all the wheaties I need.

$715 from Newegg.com.

I would recommend any laptop from Asus. Dell is good as well. But I would highly suggest avoiding a Compaq or an HP. Just my personal experience.

Latest posts

Back