need a good laptop

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also depends on WHERE you get the laptop. For instance, never buy a computer from Wal-Mart....EVER. They're honeysuckle. Period. A Dell from Wal-Mart is worse than a Dell bought elsewhere (even if they're the same model).

If you're gonna purchase something, get it either from the factory or from a good computer shop that will custom build one for you. But if you want the BEST....then build it yourself! ;)

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
A Dell from Wal-Mart is worse than a Dell bought elsewhere (even if they're the same model).

Why is that?

Badjedidude said:
But if you want the BEST....then build it yourself! ;)

Now who's getting annoying and uppity? :D BTW, I don't remember gloating about Apple or any other maker for that matter:p

PS, if you really want the best you have to carve it out of whale bone yourself :p

Minus said:
Why is that?

I have no idea, but it's the truth! o_O

I have NEVER seen a laptop bought at Wal-Mart last more than a single year. EVER. Maybe I just hang around destructive people or something....but...*shrug* :p

@mintymint: Lol I was teasin'. :D

----Steve

mintymint said:
Disclaimer: Minty doesn't know when to shut up when it comes to computers :p

What's your budget JSD? Is portability a big factor in your choice? There are a lot of decent offerings between $400 and $600 for people on a budget. I would would stick with pentium dual cores on the lower end and core 2 duos on the higher end within that price range as far as processors are concerned. Starting at around $600 are the Core i3 laptops. More power, newer and more efficient hardware under the hood. At around $750-800 you get into the core i5 laptops which will give you ample power for the foreseeable future. Whatever you get make sure it has a minimum of 4 gigs of ram and 64 bit windows 7 home premium. And stick with Intel processors. Also, almost every laptop out there these days pretty much comes with a webcam and mic standard with the exception of the cheapest models.

As far as brands, it's a little harder to judge hardware quality because all of the computers on the market basically use components from the same three or four manufacturers in China. But Dell has a pretty good rep regarding customer support. And here's some data on reliability. It might help if you are the kind of person who struggles with whether or not purchase an extended warranty. Personally I have had good experiences with dell products. I have a 4 year old Dell business laptop that works great.

Lastly, I find that one of the retailers with with the best prices is actually Best Buy. They get away with very thin margins on the mid to low end because they dupe people into buying all sorts of bullshit optimizations, upgrades and junk like that. Avoid that and you have some really great deals even with shipping factored in. And even when compared to buying directly from manufacturers like Dell. Also Newegg.com Is quite good as far as price. I am a regular there:D

With all that said, the truth is that minty is an apple guy:p

**** mintster, good post, thanks, i actually read it! LOL, i usually ignore everyone! just kidding...

um, no honeysuckle, apple, i am totally checking out that iPAD (lol)

whacha think about that thing? is it available yet? hard to say what sorts of bugs and stuff being brand new and all? hmm...

dude, i am used to hiking around the military grade (i forget what they are called, bulletproof?) for my last job. so i would gladly choose something a little clunky. my main concern is reliability of hardware. i don't honeysuckle breaking, fans, drives, keyboards, that i am going to have to pay to fix.

order of importance...
1. reliability
2. functionality
3. portability
4. price

any recommendations, LOL?

cheaptrickfan said:
mintymint said:
With all that said, the truth is that minty is an apple guy:p

It's like a cult with you Apple-people, I swear. That must be some good Kool-Aid. :p

nice. dropping bombs in my thread? you should be ashamed! :D you need discipline.

Just_Some_Dude said:
dude, i am used to hiking around the military grade (i forget what they are called, bulletproof?) for my last job. so i would gladly choose something a little clunky. my main concern is reliability of hardware. i don't honeysuckle breaking, fans, drives, keyboards, that i am going to have to pay to fix.

order of importance...
1. reliability
2. functionality
3. portability
4. price

Well if you want near military grade you will pay for it. You could get 4 normal ones for those prices:p If you buy an apple laptop and three year apple care plan they will pay for parts, repair, shipping, practically everything for that period. It's quite nice, although they expect reasonable use i.e. not splashing with beverages. The ipad is certainly not a laptop substitute and if you want reliability always wait till they work out the initial bugs with the revision B hardware.

Here's some Dell:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/...=laptop_latitude_atg_e6400&s=bsd&cs=04&~ck=mn
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/...?refid=laptop-latitude-xt2&s=bsd&cs=04&~ck=mn
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/...spx?refid=latitude-xfr-xt2&s=bsd&cs=04&~ck=mn
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/...=laptop-latitude-xfr-e6400&s=bsd&cs=04&~ck=mn

HP:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/Toughbook/laptop-computers.asp

If you're looking for mil-grade stuff, then check out Panasonic Toughbooks. They're uber-expensive, but they have that nice aluminum-alloy shell that you'd find on laptops in police cruisers or hummers.

----Steve

Just_Some_Dude said:
cheaptrickfan said:
It's like a cult with you Apple-people, I swear. That must be some good Kool-Aid. :p

nice. dropping bombs in my thread? you should be ashamed! :D you need discipline.

I need discipline? You've got that bass-ackward. You're so lucky that I'm sick.

blessings to all of you...dont take life for granted.be good to all you pass by in life...were in the midsts of angels

id rather be the hammer than the nail. God speed LATER

in his shoes you will find a good toplap

Ok, now I'm about 85% certain that you're SPAAAAAAM, Shon. One more post like that and it's 92%.

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Ok, now I'm about 85% certain that you're SPAAAAAAM, Shon. One more post like that and it's 92%.

----Steve

steve, you're killing me here! stop! please...! :D :D :D

by the way, can bots get lonely?

Just_Some_Dude said:
by the way, can bots get lonely?

Everyone gets lonely, even Spam-Man.

spamman-1.jpg

I was hoping like hell I could find a "Jazz Hands" wav, but I could not.

I would have giggled all afternoon if I could have gotten Spam man to do a quick tap-step followed by a sparkly "Jazz Hands!" lol

Latest posts

Back