No one wants to commit anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are stunning, but I'm a guy. I showed my girlfriend an enlarged photo. She thinks you're handsome. She loves your nose and lips. She thinks you should lose the neck beard.

Mick Travis said:
She thinks you're handsome. She loves your nose and lips. She thinks you should lose the neck beard.

I agree with her. Although I don't mind the beard.

I also think your stunning purely in an artistic way you understand I have had your image transferred onto wallpaper and am currently papering my lounge with it.

sothatwasmylife said:
I also think your stunning purely in an artistic way you understand I have had your image transferred onto wallpaper and am currently papering my lounge with it.

laughing-smiley-cries-tears-of-joy.png

Xpendable said:
Coming from a culture that still uses arranged marriages. I'm not even on the point of considering any philosophy that doesn't take into account human nature.

Arranged marriages is a tradition we deeply accept and follow. And showing disrespect to my culture and traditions without understanding it is hurtful: ATLEAST personally to me.

Fact 2: You dont seem to know how they work here.
Fact 3: Not considering any philosophy because of a tradition of the culture I come from isnt also sensible. Had anyone said similar things about Muslim people, the scenario here would be completely different. Seems like the rules work only sometimes.

You shouldn't have generalized things just because I found a quote and shared to someone. Ultimately, only I will be blamed. Not you.

M_also_lonely said:
Fact 3: Not considering any philosophy because of a tradition of the culture I come from isnt also sensible. Had anyone said similar things about Muslim people, the scenario here would be completely different. Seems like the rules work only sometimes.

You shouldn't have generalized things just because I found a quote and shared to someone. Ultimately, only I will be blamed. Not you.

Um, have you even reported it? Just because the report button doesn't work doesn't mean you can't PM a mod about it.

But ultimately, it's just his opinion. I do believe he said his culture also has arranged marriages, so I don't see why you are taking it so offensively, he wasn't disrespectful, he just gave his opinion.

TheRealCallie said:
M_also_lonely said:

Um, have you even reported it? Just because the report button doesn't work doesn't mean you can't PM a mod about it.

But ultimately, it's just his opinion. I do believe he said his culture also has arranged marriages, so I don't see why you are taking it so offensively, he wasn't disrespectful, he just gave his opinion.
If you want to be so unbiased, do it everytime. Many times, things I have said were just my opinions.

I don't know what started the bicker other than tradition talking, but stop it before it really starts. Just because it's your culture's tradition, doesn't mean that people should think it's special. It's not important to everyone, and people are allowed to think otherwise of it. Similarly, just because it's your opinion, doesn't mean someone has to agree with it.

Someone disagreed with you. They're allowed to do that.

M_also_lonely said:
Xpendable said:
Coming from a culture that still uses arranged marriages. I'm not even on the point of considering any philosophy that doesn't take into account human nature.

Arranged marriages is a tradition we deeply accept and follow. And showing disrespect to my culture and traditions without understanding it is hurtful: ATLEAST personally to me.

I wish arranged marriages were the thing here. So much simpler and logical.

blackdot said:
M_also_lonely said:
Xpendable said:

How is it more logical? It takes away the right to find love on your own, and in a lot of cases love at at all. And if I'm not mistaken, I do believe domestic violence is more common in arranged marriages than those not arranged.

blackdot said:

Me too. I think it would take so much misery away, far more than the misery one might face by marrying someone who wasn't right for them. Imagine if you didn't have to "date" to find your life partner? Imagine if you went in with more of a grimm acceptance than silly feeling based selections. Imagine if your partner was someone who fit you... and complemented you? I also think that a lot of people have trouble knowing who they are but others can see you more clearly... than you can.

I don't understand. Who knows who's right for you more than you do?

I understand that this is the way it works in some cultures, and I'm not knocking them by any means (to each his/her own). Culture aside, however, it just seems to me that one's own personal judgement is a precious thing to surrender, especially when it comes to a lifetime commitment. Granted, my wife and I were fixed up on our first date by a mutual friend, but we drove the ship from there.

Speaking as someone who has spent a lifetime looking to others for definition of my identity, I can honestly say that nobody can understand me as fully as I have come to understand myself (and I'm still working on it). Perhaps it's because I'm the only person who has to live with me 24/7, and I'm the only person who knows my every thought, feeling and action. That also means I have to be aware of myself and accountable to myself 24/7. Not always easy, but the benefits of knowing myself are worth the efforts of self-discovery.

Pogo Poodle said:
Culture aside, however, it just seems to me that one's own personal judgement is a precious thing to surrender, especially when it comes to a lifetime commitment.

It's fairly common in the Indian subcontinent for people ask their parents to find someone compatible for them. They can back out any time up until wedding. Whether that's still technically arranged marriage I'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back