Not living up to expectations

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's...just not the same. Look, I'm sorry I keep saying things like that, and I know it sounds like I'm being a greedy/unappreciative prick, but I don't want people to think of me that way. I'm just trying to live up to what I've always seen myself to be: The guy who "gets stuff done", being the first one to get a handle on a situation and deal with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to be in the thick of things, not sitting on the sidelines.

Not that that's going to happen anymore, but that's what I always wanted to do.

I need advice guys.

I've got one semester left here for my two-year degree in criminal justice. Right now I don't know what to do after all of this. I see two potential options:

1) There are a few schools I've found that offer BA's in Homeland Security, which was the field I've been most interested in since I got DQ'd from the military. However, after talking with my adviser he essentially told me that any field/agent position is out of the question because of my eyes. There is a very, very slim chance I might find something down the road that could interest me, but it doesn't look optimistic.

2) Drop the criminal justice/homeland security thing and find a more realistic, immediately profitable career path. What that would be, I don't know. It's a toss-up. I don't see myself getting the same level of personal and professional satisfaction out of any other work field, but there are many more options available to someone with my limitations.

I don't know what to do. My heart says keep going down this path, but my head's screaming at me to do otherwise. What if I do and end up back at square one, with no job ahead of me and a lot of useless information that I can't use? I'm lost here.

Hi Shiloh, I'm really sorry about your condition. I'm really sorry it's stopping you from doing what you want to do. As you said, you've looked at all your options and there is nothing you can do about your condition - correct me if I'm wrong. I looked it up briefly, there doesn't seem to be anything solid that could help with this.

From the two options above, you already know what is the better option for you to take, for your future. You said so yourself, that finding something in the field of what you love doing is out of the question. Why would you go in that direction if that's going to happen? I know, it's only conflicting because you would love to do it so much. But unless something can be done, a therapy or natural remedy that can improve your condition.. you pretty much know what lies ahead of you if you continue down this road.

With your 2nd option, who knows, as you get into it and experience it, you might develop meaning out of what you do, even if it's an entirely different path. It's not impossible. Life is so unpredictable, sometimes you come across things in life that knock you over and makes you realise what you never imagined to realise on your own. You won't know until you give it a shot. So to say that you won't see the same level of personal and professional satisfaction isn't right - maybe you will, maybe you won't, but how can you know?
As you said so too, there will be many options available down this road.. you could explore them.

I'm really really sorry, Shiloh. I wish there was something you could do or a cure, so that you could do what you are so passionate about. Nothing better than doing what you love best. But if you can't do it, it doesn't mean you're a failure or not good enough or not living up to expectations. You didn't ask for this to happen to you. It's not your fault.

It means it's a challenge you have to face and find a way to come to terms with and your future lies on how you choose to deal with this. It's not the end of your life, you can still serve your country in many other ways and feel a similar sense of personal and professional satisfaction. Just like what the others have said here.

Good luck, Shiloh. Let us know how it goes.

Jesus, this just keeps getting worse...

I can hardly even force myself to go into work now, since I'm paired up with a cop every night. It just reminds me that this little campus safety job is the closest I'm ever going to get to what I'd actually want to do. Each day is a little tougher than the last. I've tried all sorts of hobbies to keep my mind occupied, hanging out with friends, even played the piano which I haven't done for about a year. Nothing helps. This..."thing" (if you want to call it that) is chasing me down and every day it's getting closer. I've been trying desperately to find something, anything else that might give me that feeling of accomplishment but nothing even comes close. This is some hellish catch-22; I'm inevitably doomed if I actually try to do what I love, but nothing that I "can" do would make me feel like I actually did anything worthwhile.

Could you set up your own business and become a private detective?

Tiina63 said:
Could you set up your own business and become a private detective?

Theoretically yes, but on the practical side of things, no one would want to hire someone in that field who doesn't have "real-world" investigative skills, something I can't do because of my eyes.

I realized that every day I get closer to graduating, the reality is starting to sink in more and more and it's killing me.

this sounds a really troubled situation for you, but please remember that not measuring up to the expectations that you or your family set for yourself does NOT by any mean make you a failure, in the larger scheme of things. Maybe you are destined to be something else and you don't know yet, and this pain is something you need to go through to reach this knowledge. I can imagine it sucks, though. But I hope that deep inside you will never feel like "a failure" because failing is not the point here. Maybe you just haven't found the right angle yet.

I'm so so sorry for necroing this thread, but this is really the only place I feel comfortable talking about this. My friends don't quite understand, and there's no way my parents would either.

I had a really rough dream last night related to this whole thing. It was like I had walked into this huge hallway, and all along the walls there were people in uniforms. Army, navy, marines, police, firefighters, etc etc. They were just staring at me, dead-quiet. I tried walking to one of them and asking what was going on, but each time I did the person would disappear. And every time, they kept saying "you don't belong here. You aren't one of us." Some of them were my family members. Grandfathers, uncles, even my dad did the same thing.

I couldn't sleep after. I've been up since 0400, a complete wreck. Classes start in ten days and I don't even know if I'm up for it anymore. For all I know, this could be a waste of four to five years only to find out I won't be able to do anything with this degree.

I can't think of anybody else to talk to. My mom doesn't understand why I wanted to do these things in the first place, and my dad's one of those "suck it up, buttercup" kind of people. I left all my friends last week when I moved out to the university. Everything's a total mess right now and I feel like throwing up.

Before I respond, let me start by saying that I'm contributing my opinion and you may be a bit offended by it due to what you currently believe, but that I do wish the best for you and that I do not intentionally mean to offend you and I am simply contributing to you what I believe, in hopes for the best. But if you don't wish to get offended at all, do not read below the line. And this goes without saying for anyone who believes in military-service. I am simply offering this post to you as a new perspective, a new way to look at your position and circumstances, and to see a silver lining among what you see only as dreary rain clouds.

-----------

Now let me preface this by stating this: I think military service is completely delusional and essentially just suicide.
If you read that and aren't truly disgusted by me then you might as well read the rest.

Honestly and personally, I think that not being able to join the military is the best thing that could possibly happen to you, or to anyone who desires it so much.
Coming from a 'military family' it is no wonder you've not really questioned this desire. It is an expectation, and it is honored and revered. It is essentially a dogma which the family follows. And those in these families who wish to seek and gain honor, and not to be filled with worthlessness like you have been, simply follow this to the end. And that does make a good soldier, by all means.
A good soldier is blind, devoted, absolutely faithful, and unquestioning. Those who are in power, those whom create the laws and make all decisions, would have it no other way. They require this dogmatic obedience in their soldiers just to maintain the status quo, to maintain their power. Because if you do not question their orders, then you are not able to question why you might kill innocent people for someone else's personal gains.

And that is ultimately all military service, entirely. Serving the selfish and self-righteous, in the most dogmatic way possible. To literally serve them for their benefit, but not for yours or anyone else's you know. And it's no wonder that such strong beliefs and convictions, no matter where they stem from, will feed down into families and expectations of their families.

Tyrant kings would have tyrant sons, whom would become tyrant rulers. These royal lines would only be questioned by others, whether it was their own people unable to withstand the daily torture, or the nobles whom would become power-hungry themselves and take it upon themselves to subtly stab the king in the back and take the thrones for themselves, or whether it was other Kings who were simply better managers than the tyrants, who'd have better armies or better tactics, and would simply take over.
And then such honor, such prestige, such great respect for these tyrants, these rulers, these kings would all fall down. No longer would they be honored, no longer respected. They would be disgusted by the following generations whom would find refuge under better rulers, with more distributed power.

And so we come down to modern day. Soldiers blindly following orders, delivering death into a battlefield that is foreign and unknown to them, fighting a war they don't even understand or know the motives to. Following orders of their "superior officer", to kill, to command, and to rule so that the gains of these wars may go to the winners, the rulers of a nation. Those who submit to no other authorities but themselves.
And you want to willingly participate in this? As I said, their refusal is the best thing that could happen to you. In such circumstances, both theirs and your own, if you were taken in you would have been marginalized, denigrated, or simply killed.

Personally, I find this a great opportunity. It gives you a chance at actually having a real life and being able to follow real opportunities. Ones your other family members have never had a chance to follow. You are able to question things now, see things for how they really are. You are given the opportunity to actually contribute to other people in more meaningful ways, rather than to simply serve the rich and powerful.

So many people I've known have come back from military-service significantly worse off than previously. They have things like PTSD, nightmares, life-long moral and ethical issues, or simply can't even find a regular job and find that military-service did not suit them well or prepare them for daily life 'in the real world'. They learn to shoot and kill and follow orders, and when they get back the world is 'so different' that many are unable to adapt to it properly at all.

You're being given a gift here. Something not offered a lot of people with your sort of beliefs, raised in families like your own. Something your father and grandfather likely did not have.

Tell me, of your fond memories of your father leaving for military duty, did you not cry? Did it not hurt you to see him leave for months and not even know if he was coming back?
Is that what you wish to do to your own children someday?
Why do you see this as such a failure? These expectations are nothing but your own. Your father likely sees this himself, having been there. I doubt he felt so easy leaving his family behind to go pursue mindless tasks he had no bearings for, never truly understanding his orders but simply following his convictions and his gut instincts.

I believe this feeling of failure of yours is because you are lost in other areas of your life. You're unable to find your 'place' in a world you're not fully physically attuned to, and that hurts you emotionally. That and the dogmatic veneration for military-duties as your family has been built upon.

So I offer you a few suggestions:
1. Refuse to take 'No' for an answer. Think hard about your dreams and what it is you truly want and find a way to pursue your dreams despite what anyone else says and despite your disability. Overcome this desire you have to 'fight' and for immediate action and to dive into chaos, and ask yourself what are your limits and where you might be able to push those things and where you need to factually draw the line.

2. Speak with your mother and your father about their feelings about military service. Not just the 'bright side' of respect, but the feelings of remorse and sadness watching their own fathers leave away for duty, never knowing if they will return. And face your own emotions about this side of things, and what this would mean for anyone who you cared about, your mother and your father, any siblings you may have, as well as any potential future family you may wish to have. Think hard about these things and speak openly about them. There is much you've likely been repressing and simply dealing with these repressed emotions will help you eliminate your sense of failure.

3. Finally, think hard about why you'd have wanted to go serve a government. A government whose motives are always questionable, and visibly lacking in a multitude of areas as evidence has shown time and time again. Why you'd essentially want to serve the 'modern kings' of a world in chaos, fighting wars you don't truthfully know anything about, following orders from people who are merely following orders, some of who themselves have extremely questionable morals and ethics or even entirely lacking in such.
And more importantly why you're wanting to leave everything else behind to do these things. And also, importantly, why you're wanting to serve a government that does not even want people like you or have a place for people like yourself. That may sting a bit at first, but facing our reality is the best thing we can do for ourselves if we want to legitimately accomplish something with our lives.

I think inside of you seems to be a conviction and desire to help others, from what I've picked up on reading this topic and generally knowing the type of people that I know whom you're most like. A great desire and responsibility to do something great and selfless
But truly, I hope that you question your desires and your dreams. Question your upbringing and childhood, and remember the difficulties as well as the good times. Question everything you've believed and simply just re-evaluate everything. Look at the world for what it really is and don't ask yourself how to follow your youthful dreams in some movie-like preponderance, but instead ask yourself how to follow your true beliefs in reality and in real life, against all obstacles.

I hope I didn't offend you too much. I know a lot of what I said goes against everything you grew up with and your family's beliefs, but if you've ready this far, I hope the best for you. Be careful in whatever you do. I'm just saying that sometimes these gray clouds can really be beautiful.

I won't try to go through and address all those bullets points, and I genuinely appreciate your opinion. Just wanted to clear a few things up:

-To me, military service is not "blindly following" whatever someone tells you to do. It's relying on the trust you build with other people through months and years of training, living, and fighting next to each other.

-I'm not touching on the political stuff. Suffice to say my feelings can be summed up via a quote I read a long time ago: "Once that first bullet flies past your head, politics and all that crap goes out the window. You're not fighting for a government or policy, you're fighting for the guy next to you."

-I never resented my dad for leaving on deployments. What it did was teach me how to be independent and not rely on others when I can do things on my own. And him leaving for months at a time wasn't a sign of choosing the military over us. It showed me that he loved us so much that he'd be willing to put his own safety and life on the line to protect us. Whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter to me, because I know that's why he did it. Not just because someone told him to, but because he loved us and wanted to keep us safe.

Still, I appreciate the input.

Shiloh253 said:
-To me, military service is not "blindly following" whatever someone tells you to do. It's relying on the trust you build with other people through months and years of training, living, and fighting next to each other.
But the orders always come from one place, and no one in that line of trust knows exactly why those orders are even given but the people at the very top who are actually making those decisions, and possibly, maybe, even they don't truly know why. That's the problem I was trying to explain to you.

You don't need to agree with it, I understand your perspective on this, but the truth is the truth.

Shiloh253 said:
-I'm not touching on the political stuff. Suffice to say my feelings can be summed up via a quote I read a long time ago: "Once that first bullet flies past your head, politics and all that crap goes out the window. You're not fighting for a government or policy, you're fighting for the guy next to you."
Yes, of course once you're actually in that position you're fighting for your life, and the lives of those close to you. But why you would willingly put yourself into a position that requires that is an entirely different subject - and a question worth answering.

Shiloh253 said:
-I never resented my dad for leaving on deployments. What it did was teach me how to be independent and not rely on others when I can do things on my own. And him leaving for months at a time wasn't a sign of choosing the military over us. It showed me that he loved us so much that he'd be willing to put his own safety and life on the line to protect us. Whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter to me, because I know that's why he did it. Not just because someone told him to, but because he loved us and wanted to keep us safe.
I'm not speaking of resentment. I'm speaking of sadness.
Nor am I suggesting his own motives weren't to protect his family. But again, this begs the question of 'Why?'.
As I suggested before, maybe you are repressing those feelings. Or maybe you've got a perspective so foreign to me that I simply don't understand your views.

And just to be clear here, my own family has some military background.
My grandfather was a fighter pilot in WW2. My grandmother was a WW2 nurse, and that's how they met.
My father has also had deep security clearances and worked on a massive number of projects over the years, and he also met my mother while working at the base.

I personally never had a desire to join the military or whatever else, but my perspectives do come from some familiarity with these things and the questioning of the fundamental ideas surrounding them.

In any case, I know you don't view things the same way and I doubt there's any way to convince you. But I hope I was able to help a little bit with your problem, at least.

Latest posts

Back