Obscure or under-rated games

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamaki

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Tamaki here. Now, I consider myself a pretty big gamer, however, I am also someone who is, and has always been, lacking in very much money. As such, I've always ended up not being able to afford consoles until they've already been out for years (I purchased my Xbox 360 last year). Since I can't afford the latest stuff in a timely fashion, obviously I've spent more time with older games and systems. Having to hunt for new games for them can be challenging, but has lead me to stumble on some rather interesting and extremely fun titles. But since they're for older systems and are obscure games in the first place, I can pretty much never find anyone else who knows what the heck I'm talking about, and I feel it's a real shame, because a lot of these games easily make my all-time favorites list.

So what are some games you love, but are obscure or you feel are under-appreciated? Tell us what you love about them and see if we can find any other fans.

I shall start: There's very little-known oddball title that came out on the PS2 called Okage: Shadow King. It wasn't anything special in terms of gameplay and was pretty short. The premise was very strange (you can look it up, explaining would take too long), it was kooky, quirky, weird, and abso-frickin'-lutely hilarious. With the possible exception of the Mother series, I have never played a funnier game. At the same time, even with all the strangeness going on, it really makes you care about the characters. Even with the gameplay itself falling a bit on the boring side, I have always loved this game to this day am disappointed that it didn't get more love. I'm also a fan of the Katamari series, and seldom find anyone who knows what that is, either.

I bought Alice: Madness Returns a couple of days ago, and it seems under-appreciated and underrated. I love the art style and story. The combat is a little basic, but it's good for a platformer.

Brutal Legend: Driving around killing demons and listening to metal! What could be more awesome than that?! Plus, Ozzy cameo!

And speaking of Double Fine games, Psychonauts was under appreciated when it first came out. The creative art style, story and platforming make it one of my favorite platformers.

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I'm sure there are others.

As for this gen, I know of only one other person or even no other people in some cases that have played the following games.... I found all of these games to be good or even great:

Singularity
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Overlord/Overlord II
The Darkness/The Darkness II
Metro 2033
Brutal Legend

I never finished Overlord II for whatever reason, and I really liked Brutal Legend but I felt the random RTS-esque sections were out of place and found them to be beyond frustrating. I got to one that I tried and failed many times and eventually it caused me to stop playing and I never went back to it.

Possibly the greatest intro ever. Makes me grin like an idiot.

[video=youtube]

I always thought Bushido Blade was incredibly underrated. It felt like a pile of honeysuckle the first time I played it, and so difficult to understand the mechanics, but a friend and I played it all night once and we were hooked once we had it figured.

[video=youtube]

I played Star Ocean: The Last Hope. And it seems like no one even cares for the game, but I thought it was amazing. Great story and game play, although the dubbing could have used some work. And a completely underrated game is Lollipop Chainsaw. Take away the attractive females and it's still an amazingly fun game.

Anyone ever play Jagged Alliance 2? I replayed it recently for the hell of it and it still holds up as a great game.

Anyone heard of Gotcha Force? Was a brilliant little game on Gamecube. It was like Pokemon only the battles were real time and it was of course, 3D. The monsters were toy sized robots, rather then animals/creatures. I was badass at the game! Haven't played it for time though.

My all time favorite game is one for the PSX called Azure Dreams, which is basically a dungeon crawler with random generated levels, roguelike elements, town building elements, and some pokemon for good measure.
Also an awesome soundtrack ^^
Might just get out the PSX emulator to play it again, since my own didn't survive the years :(
That way I can play the Japanese version at least, because they removed the voice acting in the translated version (wtf? D:)

[youtube]kSslTkoX84U[/youtube]

I just remembered another great.

Parasite Eve 2 on the PS1. Part Resident Evil, part Silent Hill, part Final Fantasy with a great soundtrack to boot. Makes me want to play it again, I wonder if I can somehow get this game.

Runciter said:
I just remembered another great.

Parasite Eve 2 on the PS1. Part Resident Evil, part Silent Hill, part Final Fantasy with a great soundtrack to boot. Makes me want to play it again, I wonder if I can somehow get this game.

Do you have a PS3? It's on the US PSN for $6.

I have a PS3 but live in the UK. I wonder if I can create a US account and purchase it? Would there be some kind of PAL/NTSC compatibility issue? I think some research is in order.

^ HD TVs are universal, so as long as you have one you're good. As for the US PSN, all you have to do is make a US account and buy a card from an online source.

I've bought a couple of PAL games from the EU PSN doing this.

Locke said:
^ HD TVs are universal, so as long as you have one you're good. As for the US PSN, all you have to do is make a US account and buy a card from an online source.

I've bought a couple of PAL games from the EU PSN doing this.

I did a little research into it earlier but thanks for the help. I haven't played my PS3 in weeks but I might just try to find my missing controller to buy this soon.

A few games come to my mind... Oil Panic for Coleco Vision, I think it's a very entretaining and unique game that no one ever talks about. The Parodius series are often overlooked I think... A shame since they're lots of fun and creative too... I mean, I never tought I would get the chance of fighting against a submarine with a cat head or a panda in a tutu.

Then some obscure games I discovered in the MAME... Pigout, a funny looking platformer and the Last Blade series, a fighting game similar to Samurai Showdown with a very nice playability.

Has anyone heard of LSD: Dream Emulator? Probably one of the most bizarre games ever made. I haven't played it, but I read a creepypasta about it. Strange game.

[video=youtube]

^Yes... I like that kind of oddities. It's somewhere in my videogames external hard drive but I haven't played it yet.

Speaking from experience, other than the extremely vivid colours, that's nothing like an acid trip.

@Locke: Ah, LSD. I've never played it, but I've seen lots of footage. I remember the first few times I watched, I wasn't very impressed, because nothing weird or overly interesting was happening. Then came one memorable video which sent me falling sideways out of my chair screaming like a little girl. Good times.

Lol Tamaki! There's definitely some nightmare fuel in it.

Cavey said:
Speaking from experience, other than the extremely vivid colours, that's nothing like an acid trip.

That's probably a good thing. That opening would probably drive someone on acid crazy.

Latest posts

Back