Online Dating?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kamya said:
TheRealCallie said:
kamya said:
An inbox full of willing sexual partners is your main problem? Sure sounds rough.

Yeah, and if every **** woman was a sex addict, it probably would be great.  SOME people want more than just a fresia and dump, thanks.  SOME people would rather have something real.  Not everyone will screw anything that moves. 

As I said, maybe if you stop being so bitter and negative, you'd get more chances.

And as I said, you have no idea what you're talking about. 

Even if someone actually were bitter and negative, deciding not to be isn't going to magically make people more likely to send them a message or match with them. That's not how it works.

There are interesting things in the article kaetic linked with the survey questions. Maybe I'm colorblind or not seeing it properly. The graphs are really small on my phone. Most of the women chose 1 to 2 dates as how long they want their next relationship to last, followed by the forever option. Most chose 1 to 2 dates as the most time they'd ideally have to wait before having sex as well. 

So again, how is an inbox full of willing sexual partners a problem?

Um... That wasn't what the pie charts were about, or the article actually. This guy used his expertise with math to figure out how to make the system work for him. The pie charts actually show the results for each group for each of the different questions, but they are pretty hard to read. The problem was in the compatibility algorithm, and he got around it, pretty clever.

And again... Wasn't an argument. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share it.

Richard_39 said:
The thing is, people complain that "Ive tried everything and it doesnt work". Ergo, the logical conclusion would be that they have not tried everything.
No one is *condemned* to failiure and being alone forever, even though the feeling of it might be there. You have to change your outlook on it first and foremost, because complaining about it might be a relief, in the end it will not change anything. It kind even lead to skewered outlooks where none should exist.

This is where you're wrong. It's an optimistic view, hopeful, but not always reality. There are many cases where people can try everything and never achieve what they want, might be physical issue, mental issue, environmental, it doesn't matter... The truth is you only have so much control over life, and even if you do everything right on your end it might not work.
We are talking about 30/40yo people who spent their entire lives alone, without a girlfriend, sex or even a kiss. People who never felt what it is to be wanted or cared for, people who have no idea what holding hands is like... and, for a lot of them, this is the one thing that's missing. They didn't give up on their lives and spend it crying about how the world is unfair, they did everything on their end and still didn't achieve what they wanted the most.

I agree that complaining and not doing anything leads to skewered outlooks, but this is not the case. Plus, this is the most benevolent argument they have, that it's easier to have unwanted attention than none at all... especially in a lifetime.

Well hell, I guess everyone is screwed since a honeysuckle ton of things are impossible by your definition.

Even paralyzed people can walk with the help of technology. Almost NOTHING is impossible. Dating is not in that almost category. Just because you THINK you have tried everything doesn't mean you actually have or that you put the proper amount of effort into it. Hell, I thought I tried for years with a lot of things, but guess what? Looking back now, I didn't really try at all, I just half assed everything and said "there, I tried, it didn't work, I give up."

It's one thing to complain every once in awhile. Everyone does and there's nothing wrong with that It's quite another to repeat the same thing over and over again, year after year, every single time with the same arguments. It's insanity.

Women send about one fifth the initiating messages men do. Source: https://theblog.okcupid.com/a-womans-advantage-82d5074dde2d
The majority of messages men send weren't categorized as offensive or sexual in nature according to recent Tinder statistics (I can't find the source atm).

Stubbornly persisting with the claim that women have just as hard a time finding a partner online is either braindead or plain trolling for reactions (betting it's the later as I've thought Callie was a troll for ages)

DarkSelene said:
Richard_39 said:
The thing is, people complain that "Ive tried everything and it doesnt work". Ergo, the logical conclusion would be that they have not tried everything.
No one is *condemned* to failiure and being alone forever, even though the feeling of it might be there. You have to change your outlook on it first and foremost, because complaining about it might be a relief, in the end it will not change anything. It kind even lead to skewered outlooks where none should exist.

This is where you're wrong. It's an optimistic view, hopeful, but not always reality. There are many cases where people can try everything and never achieve what they want, might be physical issue, mental issue, environmental, it doesn't matter... The truth is you only have so much control over life, and even if you do everything right on your end it might not work.
We are talking about 30/40yo people who spent their entire lives alone, without a girlfriend, sex or even a kiss. People who never felt what it is to be wanted or cared for, people who have no idea what holding hands is like... and, for a lot of them, this is the one thing that's missing. They didn't give up on their lives and spend it crying about how the world is unfair, they did everything on their end and still didn't achieve what they wanted the most.

I agree that complaining and not doing anything leads to skewered outlooks, but this is not the case. Plus, this is the most benevolent argument they have, that it's easier to have unwanted attention than none at all... especially in a lifetime.

Okay, suppose I grant your point; the complaining is entirely legitimate, exactly accurate and 100 on the mark. The problem lies with others and there is nothing they can change.
....what then?
Accept it? Be bitter, or sad, or miserable or lonely or whatever those people feel for 80 years ( or whatever the life expectancy is)?
What's the endgame? Will it help people care for them? Or kiss them?
I'm genuinely curious, because its not my view of life. You call it optimistic, but it isnt really; I cant accept a life of miserability or loneliness forever, if I felt that way. Its not in my nature. Not a fatalist, if it can be called that. Not much in the habit of accepting hopeless situations.

I think we are overlooking some dramatic issues here. First, if you have to resort to online dating, you are not very good at dating, to begin with. Looking at that mathematician guy, it baffles me how much does a guy has to jump through hoops to even have the slightest chance at getting a date. Not even a relationship, but merely a date. Guy has a good job and speaks another language; surely very smart, but has to "cheat" get there. Doesn't even get a date with a woman in his area or same race. While a girl can get dozens of men on a place and prank them.

[youtube]h5AAvsHchPw[/youtube]

If you can't accept there's a power imbalance there, I don't know how to convince you, honestly.

ardour said:
Women send about one fifth the initiating messages men do. Source: https://theblog.okcupid.com/a-womans-advantage-82d5074dde2d
The majority of messages men send weren't categorized as offensive or sexual in nature according to recent Tinder statistics (I can't find the source atm).

Stubbornly persisting with claim that women have just as hard a time finding a long term partner online, have to put in the same amount of effort etc. is either braindead or plain trolling for reactions (I'm betting it's the later as  I've thought Callie was a troll for ages)

Wait, sorry, it's ME that's being stubborn here?  lol, yeah, okay, sure. I'm not the one generalizing and stereotyping an entire gender here.  DATING is hard, end of ******* story.  Not just for the poor wittle men, but for EVERYONE.

Xpendable said:
I think we are overlooking some dramatic issues here. First, if you have to resort to online dating, you are not very good at dating, to begin with. Looking at that mathematician guy, it baffles me how much does a guy has to jump through hoops to even have the slightest chance at getting a date. Not even a relationship, but merely a date. Guy has a good job and speaks another language; surely very smart, but has to "cheat" get there. Doesn't even get a date with a woman in his area or same race. While a girl can get dozens of men on a place and prank them.

If you can't accept there's a power imbalance there, I don't know how to convince you, honestly.

Wait wait wait....wasn't it you who posted the video about the muscular guy that steals all the women by doing nothing and without even trying? 

Is it the "bad boys" or the horrible women screwing up all your chances?  (generalized you, not you specifically) 

And I'd say, since the guy had to change the algorithms to find his perfect match, it's the dating sites, not the women or the men....
Also, while I don't think dating sites are completely worthless, I do think the best way to find someone compatible is to go out into the real world to meet people.

^No bald guys, no-one under 5'10", "no Toms". The remaining dozen or so behave like rats in a lab willing to have their time wasted. Person organized it was the same behind the infamous catcalling video where a women circled around a low income area of New York.

kaetic said:
kamya said:
TheRealCallie said:
kamya said:
An inbox full of willing sexual partners is your main problem? Sure sounds rough.

Yeah, and if every **** woman was a sex addict, it probably would be great.  SOME people want more than just a fresia and dump, thanks.  SOME people would rather have something real.  Not everyone will screw anything that moves. 

As I said, maybe if you stop being so bitter and negative, you'd get more chances.

Even if someone actually were bitter and negative, deciding not to be isn't going to magically make people more likely to send them a message or match with them. That's not how it works.

There are interesting things in the article kaetic linked with the survey questions. Maybe I'm colorblind or not seeing it properly. The graphs are really small on my phone. Most of the women chose 1 to 2 dates as how long they want their next relationship to last, followed by the forever option. Most chose 1 to 2 dates as the most time they'd ideally have to wait before having sex as well. 

Um... That wasn't what the pie charts were about, or the article actually. This guy used his expertise with math to figure out how to make the system work for him. The pie charts actually show the results for each group for each of the different questions, but they are pretty hard to read. The problem was in the compatibility algorithm, and he got around it, pretty clever.

And again... Wasn't an argument. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share it.

I don't understand how you misunderstood what I was saying the first time but let me try again.

I know it wasn't an argument. And I know what the article was about. It was the actual data that I found useful and interesting though.

The pie charts do show the results for each group for the different questions. Data showing what actual women are honestly answering to actual relationship questions when no one else is looking.

I was just pointing out that according to those pie charts it seems like the options that were chosen the most by most of the groups of women were the ones involving 1 night stands and having sex within the first couple of dates. Meaning, most women on dating sites are mainly looking for sex. Meaning, that an inbox full of willing sexual partners is more of a positive than not. (For most of the women)

That's all. No arguing. Just interesting to see that reality according to those graphs seems to be pretty much in line with what I'd already expected.

kamya said:
kaetic said:
kamya said:
TheRealCallie said:
kamya said:

I don't understand how you misunderstood what I was saying the first time but let me try again.

I know it wasn't an argument. And I know what the article was about. It was the actual data that I found useful and interesting though.

The pie charts do show the results for each group for the different questions. Data showing what actual women are honestly answering to actual relationship questions when no one else is looking.

I was just pointing out that according to those pie charts it seems like the options that were chosen the most by most of the groups of women were the ones involving 1 night stands and having sex within the first couple of dates. Meaning, most women on dating sites are mainly looking for sex. Meaning, that an inbox full of willing sexual partners is more of a positive than not. (For most of the women)

That's all. No arguing. Just interesting to see that reality according to those graphs seems to be pretty much in line with what I'd already expected.

I misread the last line, that's why I thought you were taking it as an argument. My apologies.

I see what you mean with the pie charts. I just glanced over them before. But you left out there were four options and it appears that on that question the results were split pretty evenly between wanting a one night stand and wanting a relationship to last the rest of their life.

Also what's wrong with having sex within the first couple of dates? With the two answers together yes that could be misleading, but I don't see how having sex early on would necessarily mean that person isn't looking for a relationship.

ardour said:
^No bald guys, no-one under 5'10", "no Toms".

Jason Statham.

Actually, I think he is 5'10.

But I don't care if he was my height. I freaking love him.

Xpendable said:

[youtube]h5AAvsHchPw[/youtube]

I guess I saw that a little differently, I assumed he just didn't have time for in person dating because of his job and then just put more effort into it after he realized he wasn't getting the results he wanted. Maybe he didn't want to find a girl in his area or a girl that was his same race. People have preferences. I don't want to date anyone from the area I live at, I know all of them. It's a pretty small town. Granted his area was Los Angeles... there are a lot more people to choose from...

That video... why the hell... smh. I don't know why anyone would put up with that honeysuckle. Actress, model, singer... so she's not even in it for the date, she's looking for publicity for her work.

kaetic said:
I guess I saw that a little differently, I assumed he just didn't have time for in person dating because of his job and then just put more effort into it after he realized he wasn't getting the results he wanted. Maybe he didn't want to find a girl in his area or a girl that was his same race. People have preferences. I don't want to date anyone from the area I live at, I know all of them. It's a pretty small town. Granted his area was Los Angeles... there are a lot more people to choose from...

He has no time to date but has time to create an algorithm for weeks so he can get a date? Does that make sense?
Do you think someone would get to so much trouble if they weren't truly desperate? For me, it's obvious he had no choice precisely because he wasn't getting any matches, but he was not smart enough to figure out that profiles have nothing to do with it. Doesn't matter how many red herrings you try to bring, his final choice was not his. She picked him. That's how it works, he dated whomever he could. Could have been white, black, hispanic; whatever. A guy who does an algorithm has given up in preferences a long time ago. No one who makes such an effort is really dealing with too many options.

Xpendable said:
kaetic said:

He has no time to date but has time to create an algorithm for weeks so he can get a date? Does that make sense?
Do you think someone would get to so much trouble if they weren't truly desperate? For me, it's obvious he had no choice precisely because he wasn't getting any matches, but he was not smart enough to figure out that profiles have nothing to do with it. Doesn't matter how many red herrings you try to bring, his final choice was not his. She picked him. That's how it works, he dated whomever he could. Could have been white, black, hispanic; whatever. A guy who does an algorithm has given up in preferences a long time ago. No one who makes such an effort is really dealing with too many options.

How long do you think it takes to put together a python program? That's what he was using to sort through the information. He wasn't actually sitting there for weeks sifting through information. He already works in math so maybe it's just how he thinks.
But the thing is. You're right. I don't know what his reasons were for using online dating, I don't know if the location was a last resort or a preference, and I don't know if he just preferred some one from a different culture or if that was even an issue. Like I said, I assumed. Just like you did.

Way it reads, he had plenty of options once he was being seen by who he wanted to be seen by. (He had a new program set up to sort all of his incoming messages by age range) But who cares... he found the person he wanted to stay with. It doesn't matter if you have five choices or five hundred, as long as the one you want is in there somewhere.

---
Cue the "How about when you have zero options" from one of the guys that generally posts.
---

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. I understand why you feel like everything is stacked against you, it's how everyone feels when they're trying to accomplish something and continuously hitting a brick wall. But just because you're having a hard time now doesn't mean that it's always going to be that way. If it's going to happen for you, it will happen when it happens and not a moment sooner, and it might never happen. Being realistic. Some people never find love.

So everyone's a successful well paid math phd with equally successful friends? He had to set up multiple profiles tailored to different spectrums of users based on the questions they answered. Sounds like a lot of effort. And it's unclear whether the person he ended up with messaged him because of shared interests or because he "popped up in her search for 6-foot guys with blue eyes near UCLA". (Good thing he wasn't 5'11 eh.)

kamya said:
You can also acknowledge that a problem exists without automatically placing blame. 

How does acknowledging that this problem exists for most men, and that women don't deal with this issue make someone bitter? Or sexist? Or negative? How does it say that women don't have any problems?

I do place blame.  I don't really blame women as much as I blame evolutionary biology itself for programming people to still favor traits that, although they may have helped us survive at one point in time, are more harmful now in the civilized world.  I blame the cultural revolution for changing what was considered attractive back to those primitive, evolutionary traits, and I blame the media for glamorizing it.  

I guess this is why it's so important to be able to be more than an average guy, if it's at all possible. When a woman picks a guy, she's giving up on all other possibilities, which means if she picks an average guy, she's giving up on her chance to date someone who would make her feel more adrenaline and emotions. Kind of like how some guys probably find it hard to go for average-looking women, because that means giving up on the dream of dating a woman that they find very physically attractive.  

I don't think acknowledging the problem men face makes them bitter either.  It's just a statement of fact.  I do think it's negative, but not in the sense that the person saying it is negative.  I think it's negative because unless you happen to have the right traits, the whole thing is a negative situation.  

DarkSelene said:
The problem might exist, but you're clearly not allowed to complain about it.

Too true.  I think it's similar to how some people don't like to hear people complain about income inequality and decreasing opportunities. They don't want to acknowledge the problems in the system, because they feel like they benefit from things being the way they are. They say shut up and work harder, but I don't think they mean it. I think they just mean shut up, accept your role as an inherently inferior person, quietly resign yourself to your lot, and stop making noise from outside the chosen few's party. You're supposed to just keep a stiff upper lip, pretend everything is fine, and keep what bothers you bottled up inside until you either explode, implode, or you just disappear.

I just think it would be better for everyone, men and women, to be open and honest about what they want in a partner, and if it isn't nice, fine, but at least you know where they stand.

TheRealCallie said:
you still have to be compatible

The problem is, people come up with all kinds of reasons for incompatibility nowadays.  If you aren't a macho man, the slightest weakness or shortcoming is considered incompatibility. It's like you have to magically guess exactly what the woman wants and already be that kind of person, or else you're incompatible.  You aren't given the chance to grow into it or learn it, even if you are willing to give it an honest effort, even if you're willing to ask how to do it, even if you're just lost and confused and trying but you just don't know better, even if you're willing to step out of your comfort zone because you really like that person and they are worth it to you.  You're just supposed to be able to do it all already and already have everything figured out.

DarkSelene said:
Disagree. Having the option to complain about what hurts me without being called a misandrist and a men hater is important to me. When I feel lonely, having someone is important to me. Being able to feel and express my emotions is and always will be important to me. At the core of this conversation is despair. The feeling that doesn't matter how much I try or do, nothing or no one will ever understand me, want me or care for me.
Someone who doesn't know anything about me to come to me and say I haven't done enough and the only reason why I don't achieve something is because of me? Because I'm upset about not getting it? That's OK and I'm the one who'll be placing blame?
This is a comparison. Nothing more than that, taking it as putting blame on a group or even hating a group is the biggest misrepresentation of someones feelings I've ever seen...
If I start chopping down wood to find diamonds, either someone is going to have to tell me that I can't find diamonds in wood, or I'll be chopping it down my whole life and failing... God forbid I'm ever frustrated about it, "tree hating piece of honeysuckle".

+1.  Especially the bold parts.  I've been feeling this for so long now.  Venting doesn't solve the problem of course, but it does help, and it helps even more when instead of trying to shame you into silence, someone says they hear you, they see that you're hurting.  

DarkSelene said:
Richard_39 said:

Again, this is what fills me with dread - the thought of doing not being able to do enough things right to attract someone because my natural ability is too low, or being able to do everything right  but it just doesn't work, I just can't trigger the right feelings.  I feel like I have tried a lot, except things that I can't afford, things that I don't currently have the ability to do (and don't know if I ever can have these abilities), things that I don't know of, and things that may be effective but go against what I value and believe in, or things that just make no sense for me to do, things that aren't being myself.  I honestly don't know what else I can do.  

I wish I had learned what really attracted women a long time ago, instead of thinking they just wanted a man who was nice to them, could talk to them, and was interested in them as a person, thinking someone would just "like me for me" eventually, or thinking it was all random. Then maybe I'd have had time to become an impressive person. But I don't know if I even can become an impressive person, or if it would even matter. Maybe nothing matters without flirting and social dominance, and I really can't do either.

People who have never been 30+ and haven't had so much as one date, let alone sex or a relationship, can't ever really know what that feels like.  Never being chosen, never even being "liked", never feeling like you're getting any closer to it.  Feeling like you were cursed, or born missing something.  It's a special kind of despair that just grinds you down, and for every year alone, the weariness gets that much heavier. It starts to spread out into everything.

Richard_39 said:
Okay, suppose I grant your point; the complaining is entirely legitimate, exactly accurate and 100 on the mark. The problem lies with others and there is nothing they can change.
....what then?
Accept it? Be bitter, or sad, or miserable or lonely or whatever those people feel for 80 years ( or whatever the life expectancy is)?
What's the endgame? Will it help people care for them? Or kiss them?
I'm genuinely curious, because its not my view of life. You call it optimistic, but it isnt really; I cant accept a life of miserability or loneliness forever, if I felt that way. Its not in my nature. Not a fatalist, if it can be called that. Not much in the habit of accepting hopeless situations.

I don't know. I want to fight, I want to rage against this, I want to break away from it. I don't want to accept this as my fate.  I wish I could see something else in the cards for me than this, but unless I can start pulling some rabbits out of my hat, the kind I'd never been able to before, it's very hard to even imagine it.  I've gotten to 32 now, with absolutely nothing in this area of life.  It's starting to get scary now.

Latest posts

Back