Opinions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspalas

Reaction score
Here's my story. I was at my old high school today because a couple of my friends who are doing their finals this year did their final theater play. Afterwards there was a small kind of party and I spoke to their drama teacher for a while, and eventually I asked him if he liked Seinfeld (the show) and he didn't. Somehow I really "value" his opinion on this subject, and now I'm home it got me thinking. On some subjects (like this one) I just really want someone to agree with me (because I like the show), but on some other subjects, like music, I prefer to be different. In fact, I usually hate it when people I know listen or like the same music as I do (rarely occurs btw, and I have like 2 friends who listen the same music as me but I don't care about that because they kind of "fit" in my picture of my music's audicience).

In case of music I somehow feel "better" than most people; I think I listen to very elaborate, deep and "challenging" music, and I somehow gain happiness from the fact that "normal" people are just unable to understand this. But with Seinfeld for example I'd rather have people to agree with me.

This just made me wonder, why do I sometimes like to be different, and why do I sometimes hate to be different? Why should I care about other people's opinion in the first place? You know, there's so much that I think is "bad" (like feeling alone) just because it's bad according to people's general opinion. Why would I even bother? Isn't it just better to follow your own dreams?

Most people have awful taste in music and film :p

I don't know why you're different with music and Seinfeld. Personally I thought Seinfeld was a clever show with some great concepts, actors and scripts, but I didn't actually find it that funny. I laughed more at Curb Your Enthusiasm.

We like to feel unique and special, but we also want to be accepted.

You feel you can appreciate this music on another level, it's something personal to you, and someone else liking it is like someone invading your personal space.

Apart from giving my personal opinion about it, you create your sense of self-worth from music.

So that's why. You want, just like most of everyone else, to feel superior to others in some qualities.

perfanoff said:
Apart from giving my personal opinion about it, you create your sense of self-worth from music.

So that's why. You want, just like most of everyone else, to feel superior to others in some qualities.

i agree with this. many MANY people say that music is their life and it is what defines them, and i dont disagree that music is a big part of anyone's life. Be it today's pop. rap. 80's. 60's. country. jamaican. african. even tribal beats is considered music. And beats/rhythm pretty much dictates our emotions. If someone disrupts your flow, you get frustrated and annoyed.

So, based on that.. no, people do not like when they see others with different 'flow' but like the same music. if they had the same 'flow' then it is okay.

TV shows are not used to define anyone's life, but it does prove interest/belief. So you naturally, like mentioned about fitting in, you want people to just agree with you. "birds of a feather flock together." people naturally want to hang around those that are the same.

Yeaaaaah...

...it's one thing to enjoy music and to appreciate it for its technical brilliance or challenging nature.

It's another thing entirely to think that enjoying this type of music makes you better than "normal" people who don't listen to what you listen to.

That sort of attitude just seems entirely negative and divisive to me.

FYI, I listen to bands like MC5, Fugazi, Big Black, The Mars Volta, The Veils, Placebo, Bloc Party, but also more populair bands like The XX or David Bowie. I can also apperciate old skool rap like Ice Cube, and I hate "normal" house music, I only like techno/techhouse and deephouse.

I think most of you missed the point I was trying to make, I just wonder why I value people's opinions, I wonder why I want people to (dis)agree with me. Why are some people in the world outcasts? Why isn't it normal to be an outcast? The main point I'm trying to make here is that if we don't care what others think about anything, we'd probably be happier.

We probably value the opinions of others as indicators of how they think and feel about different things, and the more alike they are to us, the more we like them.

Latest posts

Back