panic attack

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostly..theroadhome

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone is on, im having a bit of a panic attack after my mom just arguing with me again and screaming...

not feeling too good, want to go study in college, but cant breathe right now, trying to lie down...already exhausted i could go back to sleep but ive got to get some work done today

does anyone know anything can make me feel better?

and yet again, she came back again to screaming, hurl verbal abuse, and bang my door down.

im not feeling very well, she wont stop persecuting me, all i want to do is study

i was about to hand my assignment in today, and my mom knew...
and she went into a hysterical rage, about people being punished and not getting what they want
she hates when im about to get this masters each time

some1 complimented me, and sshe knew and keeps restating that ill never be better than her and to get that into my head

the compliment gave me some heart back to put into my work, and she starts ruining things again

i dont know if ill get the assignment in now, my head hurts froom the arguments

if i wasnt in this situation, i wouldnt be thinking of harm or suicide, bcause one week away from certain people collectively coming down on me (away from bullyng)....and i was producing 4,000 words a day, was consistently working, happy and warm and feeling compassionate. I;m naturally a very positive person

i feel easily influenced and vulnerable, when im struggling to get this masters what i really want, and there is this huge blast of anger and energy coming from certain people about my studies, and its not normal, its highly intensive

my head just really hurts right now

*hugs ghostly* ohh I'm so sorry fights with my mom use to make me feel the same way someone else had started a thread a bout panic attacks recently so if it's ok I'm going to ctl V my post there

i also have problems with panic attacks, and it's really hard for me it causes me not to sleep so i get more worked up because I can't sleep and then I'll get sick and miss school or work flunk out then live at home as a failure the rest of my life it's very hard espeically because sometimes they seem to last a long time

although I've recently found out that for me at least, panic attacks often make me nauseated and If i let myself throw up I feel better. not trying to say bulima is the answer I don't make myself throw up it happens with panic attacks for me

other than than try to think positive it's just a panic attack you're not dying and it will pass, just focus on that it's not permanent it's only temporary just keep saying that over and over

well panic attacks are a reaction to stress and overload of neurotransmitters like endrelanin(....how ever it's spelled, you know what mean) because it's like your fight or flight switch is stuck in high gear and also a glitch in your amygdala ( the part of your brain responsible for fear and that stuff) kind of like it has the hiccups and every time it hiccups you get the sensation of fear and panic

have you talked to a therapist about your panic attacks? therapy can help also they can prescribe something that can help

I was on seraquel regularly for quite sometime and then I got off it which was hard, but now I use only when I feel the onset of a panic attack and I take one and it really helps

anyways I hope you can figure something out

also if you haven't already read it here's the wiki article on panic attacks to help you understand them a bit better

"Sufferers of panic attacks often report a fear or sense of dying, "going crazy," or experiencing a heart attack or "flashing vision," feeling faint or nauseated, a numb sensation throughout the body, heavy breathing (and almost always, hyperventilation), or losing control of themselves. Some people also suffer from tunnel vision, mostly due to blood flow leaving the head to more critical parts of the body in defense. These feelings may provoke a strong urge to escape or flee the place where the attack began (a consequence of the sympathetic "fight-or-flight response") in which the hormone which causes this response is released in significant amounts. This response floods the body with hormones, particularly epinephrine (adrenaline), that aid it in defending against harm.[3]
A panic attack is a response of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The most common symptoms may include trembling, dyspnea (shortness of breath), heart palpitations, chest pain (or chest tightness), hot flashes, cold flashes, burning sensations (particularly in the facial or neck area), sweating, nausea, dizziness (or slight vertigo), light-headedness, hyperventilation, paresthesias (tingling sensations), sensations of choking or smothering, and derealization. These physical symptoms are interpreted with alarm in people prone to panic attacks. This results in increased anxiety, and forms a positive feedback loop.[4]
Often the onset of shortness of breath and chest pain are the predominant symptoms, the sufferer incorrectly appraises this as a sign or symptom of a heart attack. This can result in the person experiencing a panic attack seeking treatment in an emergency room.
Panic attacks are distinguished from other forms of anxiety by their intensity and their sudden, episodic nature.[3] They are often experienced in conjunction with anxiety disorders and other psychological conditions, although panic attacks are not always indicative of a mental disorder."
"While the various symptoms of a panic attack may feel that the body is failing, it is in fact protecting itself from harm. The various symptoms of a panic attack can be understood as follows. First, there is frequently (but not always) the sudden onset of fear with little provoking stimulus. This leads to a release of adrenaline (epinephrine) which brings about the so-called fight-or-flight response wherein the person's body prepares for strenuous physical activity. This leads to an increased heart rate (tachycardia), rapid breathing (hyperventilation) which may be perceived as shortness of breath (dyspnea), and sweating (which increases grip and aids heat loss). Because strenuous activity rarely ensues, the hyperventilation leads to a drop in carbon dioxide levels in the lungs and then in the blood. This leads to shifts in blood pH (respiratory alkalosis or hypocapnia), which in turn can lead to many other symptoms, such as tingling or numbness, dizziness, burning and lightheadedness. Moreover, the release of adrenaline during a panic attack causes vasoconstriction resulting in slightly less blood flow to the head which causes dizziness and lightheadedness. A panic attack can cause blood sugar to be drawn away from the brain and towards the major muscles. It is also possible for the person experiencing such an attack to feel as though they are unable to catch their breath, and they begin to take deeper breaths, which also acts to decrease carbon dioxide levels in the blood."
*hugs*

maybe talk a long shower then cuddle in bed with some stuffed animals and watch a tv show you like i would watch will and grace when feeling nervous if you keep having bad panic attacks talk too a consular and they can probably help

*hugs* deep breathing is important too

I did some googling

http://www.wikihow.com/Calm-Yourself-During-an-Anxiety-Attack

ing heart, nausea, upset stomach, and tremors are just a few things you can experience during an anxiety attack. In this article I will list some techniques you can use to calm yourself down.
editSteps

"1One of the most effective methods used is deep breathing. The following exercise will physically, and mentally calm you.
Ads by Google
Ask a Psychiatrist:Stress 17 Psychiatrists Are Online Now. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
JustAnswer.com/Stress
Start out by breathing through your nose for a slow 3 count
Then hold your breath for a slow 3 count
And then exhale for a slow 3 count. You can do this as long as you want. It really helps.
2The next thing you can do is something called stop and replace. The purpose of this is to stop the anxious thought and replace it with a more calming thought.
EX: I am anxious about going in front of the class to present my project. (so I keep thinking about it and it just makes me more anxious)
STOP!! that thought and replace it with a thought such as thinking of something exciting you are going to do this weekend like go on a family trip, and just really lose yourself in the thought and take your mind away from the current anxious thought.
3As a panic attack often fuels itself by unintentionally focusing on the cause of panic, it can help to divert your attention by focusing on something else, such as doing mental puzzles: word games, numerical problems or noting the features of different objects within sight. Try counting backwards from 100 by 3's, or saying the alphabet backwards, etc. It's even better if you can fully avoid focusing, do not focus on not focusing. (practicing meditation helps learning how to do this).
4If possible have someone you know/trust talk to you and comfort you. Ask him/her to massage your palm while talking to you.
5Tense the various muscles in your body for a few seconds and then release, allowing yourself to relax.
6If you are able to stand, get up and walk around slowly, while "slowly" deep breathing (change of focus).
7Do not lock your jaws together; this will make the nausea in your panic attack twice as bad. People are often tempted to do this, but it does not make it any better. Relaxing your face will help.

http://www.thedailymind.com/stress/dealing-with-panic-how-to-calm-down-during-a-panic-attack/

2. Go outside into the open

. Realize that you are going to be okay
One of the most important things to do during a panic attack is realize that you are going to be okay. Panic attacks do not last forever. You are not going crazy. You will be alright in a few minutes.

Panic attacks are thought to be caused by the part of the brain that governs our fight or flight reaction. If it feels threatened it will pump chemicals into the body that cause you to panic so you will get out of the harmful situation. This is all well and good if there were a threatening situation but most of the time panic attacks seem to come out of the blue or after a not so threatening situation.

Seeing as the panic attack is caused by a chemical reaction it is going to take some time for your symptoms to ease. Your body has just been flooded with hormones and you will not feel better immediately – even if your mind has calmed down a bit. Give yourself time and remind yourself that it will all be over soon. This goes a long way to reducing the severity of the situation.

7. Listen to some slow, rhythmic music
Music is a very powerful tool. It has the ability to change our moods in an instant. I found music to be a particularly useful tool when I was trying to deal with a panic attack.

The best music to listen to during a panic attack is something that is graceful, slow, melodic and rhythmic. I really like to turn on some Vivaldi or Mozart and listen to the happy and joyful songs of the violin and piano. Hip hop and other tracks with a bouncy and catchy baseline can also be beneficial.

See what works for you. Spend a few weeks listening to some new music and see what calms you down. Play that music during the times that you are feeling happy and relaxed (like in the bath) and then when you have an attack you can turn the music on and go back to that place."

it's okay just remeber this feeling is only temporary and it won't last forever and by tomorrow you feel normal again

Latest posts

Back