panic attacks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmy23

Reaction score
Panic attacks and anxiety runs in my family. From the time I was born until now I've been pretty immune to it. I do have some social anxiety but it's all pretty manageable. But right now I think I'm having my first panic attack and I don't know what to do about it. I feel so alone right now and that is causing me to freak out. Anybody else on here have panic attacks? Advice on what to do about it?

I thought I was over my panic attacks until I had a mild one at the supermarket last night. All those people pushing and shouting to fill their baskets up with more food than they could possibly need gave me a thumping headache, it made me feel short of breath with a racing pulse, weak legs and rapid perspiration. My first instinct was to bolt out of there but I’ve learned that finding a quiet area (even a public restroom) to escape from the hustle and bustle helps, it gives you time to clam and compose your thoughts, prioritise what you need to do and get out efficiently.

Other times I talk to myself in my mind. Concentrating on my own thoughts blocks out all the other noise that causes me to panic so perhaps I’ll poke fun at other shoppers or go through the items I need to get. When I used to have them at home (sometimes I would have one as soon as I woke up) I’d just make sure to breath, not try to move or look around, just keep still and think about a favourite book or movie, anything to stop me focussing (and thus panicking) on the situation at hand. It’s all about knowing how to distract yourself enough until the feeling passes.

I used to suffer from panic attacks for years, ever since I witnessed a traumatic event. Fear would seep in to each day of my life, as I was terrified that an attack would happen to me and that I would pass out or be otherwise vulnerable.

It was only recently that I finally overcame them. Now it's like a veil has been lifted on the world, and everything seems less frightening.

What I think really helped me is understanding that panic attacks cannot hurt you. Yes, they are scary as all get-out, but they go away and they do not cause fainting or anything like that. Once you understand that, you become a little less afraid.

Another very important thing is I realized that I was the one causing these attacks. Getting myself worked up and constantly being afraid of an attack is what caused them. This can take some time, but stopping the fear of attacks is really what stops them. You have to realize that you are in control, even if that seems untrue. Even little subconscious thoughts and fears can bring on an attack, so you have to make sure you stifle those types of negative thoughts. As Lost Drifter mentioned, "distracting yourself" from negative thoughts can work wonders.

One thing that I do is show myself how silly I sound when I start thinking things like "What if I have a panic attack when I am standing in line, and everyone stares at me?" If things like this come into your head, just repeat to yourself "That won't happen, because I am in control and I say it won't happen." Sometimes, I will even say this aloud to myself.

Taking classes like Tai Chi can also be helpful, I found. After embracing the philosophy of Tai Chi and practicing everyday, I became so much calmer and happier, and realized that the world was a lot less scary that I had previously believed.

All three of these things contributed to my escape from panic attacks, and I hope these tips will help you as well. I would be more than happy to help you out in any way, as I know how scary these situations can be and how futile it may seem to eliminate panic.

Don't lose hope! You can eliminate these attacks! It may seem corny, but believing that you can stop these attacks and knowing that you are in control really helps, too! :)

As Lombax mentioned, panic attacks may be scary, but it's important to realize that they cannot hurt you. I used to have panic attacks very frequently, but I used a variety of techniques to get through them.

The easiest one is to just sit down, but your head in your hands, and breathe. You may also find it beneficial to have some water or tea to accompany you. This may help to clear your mind and relax your body.

I've always found taking a shower or bath to be helpful as well, but depending on the severity of your panic attack, that may not be possible/a good idea.

Essentially, the best thing I can recommend is that you take a time out, and try your best to put things into perspective. This will help provide you with a sense of clarity that will both ease you out of your current panic attack, and possibly weaken the intensity of any future incidents.

Good luck, and just try to relax. Everything will be okay! :)

Latest posts

Back