Places to Meet

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a self confessed work-a-holic (because it is the one place I feel comfortable) but I don't have anyone who wants to invest additional time with me. It's not that I'm not personable (in fact I'm well liked by everyone I meet), I'm just extremely shy and don't know what to say in social situations.

My biggest question is where to go to meet new people. I've looked at a lot of posts that have mentioned several places, but I live in a VERY small town (population 400 - with the nearest stoplight 60 miles away) that these places just aren't available. The only real social place is the bar, but I can't stand the smoke and music so loud I can barely hear about every 4th or 5th word the person across the table is saying. Others have mentioned they have found many friends on the Internet, but it seems so impersonal to me. Hell, I never use the drive through because it seems so impersonal.

Gym? humm Its a nice place to make friends.
400 people? Lol i would die there. How many hours you need to drive till the next city. Sometimes its not a bad idea. I said it already but... look for a course of something you like. there you will meet people that have something in... comum (i dont remember how to write it in english and im too lazy now to google it lol)

are there any parks in your town, if the weathers nice just hanging out around a park bench can be nice, or maybe just in your backyard, and you guys could grill some burgers...mmm burgers

:D

evanescencefan, you swear that you go to a park and just stay hanging there until a guy or girl come to say hi? If you are going to try to meet new people, you need to find an excuse to start talking. In a park what we would say? "Nice tree"? o_O The gym is good cause we can talk about the exercises, of the guy that teaches what to do, that we are going to die if we need to make one more abdominal... A park would be a nice place to go with your friends, no? Here, in my town, theres a park. Im going to try your tatic x)

Luna said:
evanescencefan, you swear that you go to a park and just stay hanging there until a guy or girl come to say hi? If you are going to try to meet new people, you need to find an excuse to start talking. In a park what we would say? "Nice tree"? o_O The gym is good cause we can talk about the exercises, of the guy that teaches what to do, that we are going to die if we need to make one more abdominal... A park would be a nice place to go with your friends, no? Here, in my town, theres a park. Im going to try your tatic x)

When the weather's nice I go to the park and sit on a bench with my guitar. There's always nice old people that are out for a walk or walking their dogs and often they'll stop to chat. It's quite pleasant, really.
The park by my house is attached to a grade school and one day after school my friend and I were there plaing guitar and a whole flock of little kids from the after school program came to watch. That was pretty neat. Made us feel like rock stars. Or at least like The Wiggles. lol.
Basically, yes you can meet new people when sitting on a park bench.

Yeah, basically but not alone. It will help you a lot if you have a guitar... i can buy one and take with me. Maybe some nice people come and with a litlle tinny bit of luck, they will know how to play it :p

No offense, but it is REALLY obvious none of you have never lived in a really small town. The closest thing to a real city would be about 1 1/2 hours away. They only gym is in the school and the only people that go there are high school students. There is a park, but the only people that go there are parents with kids or tourists eating lunch for the day and then are gone forever. I guess I'm just stuck. I know pretty much everyone in town but there just isn't anyone who wants to invest time with me. It just seems everyone else here has their own lives to live which doesn't involve me. It is easy to say that because in a small town you pretty much know EVERYONE!

SmallTownLonely said:
No offense, but it is REALLY obvious none of you have never lived in a really small town. The closest thing to a real city would be about 1 1/2 hours away. They only gym is in the school and the only people that go there are high school students. There is a park, but the only people that go there are parents with kids or tourists eating lunch for the day and then are gone forever. I guess I'm just stuck. I know pretty much everyone in town but there just isn't anyone who wants to invest time with me. It just seems everyone else here has their own lives to live which doesn't involve me. It is easy to say that because in a small town you pretty much know EVERYONE!
Lol calm down ^.^ I do live, now, in a small city. Just 200,000 people but a great amount is too poor and has no culture to dont even talk about what is going on in this country, they dont have opinion. The other part leaves their homes in their cars like if the rest of the world was not there. The only neighbor that i could talk better is crazier than me. So thats why the gym was a good idea. Anyway... i used to study 1 1/2 hours far from my house and used to go everyday o_O Ok, im not helping... You cant move from there? =/

I just looked up the population of the nearest town to me and it's currently 566 so I know where your coming from:D

My advice for you meeting new people would be to go to the nearest bigger town and maybe they would have some sort of festival that you could attend, those are great for meeting new people and a lot of small towns have them, anything from music festivals to ...well theres a town near here that holds a chicken festival so it can range, but yea meeting new people in a small town is hard to do...

SmallTownLonely said:
No offense, but it is REALLY obvious none of you have never lived in a really small town.

I did live in a town of 1,800 people which is fairly small.

SmallTownLonely said:
...The closest thing to a real city would be about 1 1/2 hours away. ...

.... I know pretty much everyone in town but there just isn't anyone who wants to invest time with me. ...

... It is easy to say that because in a small town you pretty much know EVERYONE!...

Knowing everyone already does make it difficult to meet new people. I can understand not wanting to hang out at the bar. They don't hold any attraction for me anymore either. I never had any luck at any of the places that are usually suggested but that may just be me and my general social incompetence.

While you don't have to favorable of an impression of developing something with any of the towns people that you already know is there anyone of interest where that might be possible with some effort?

ok! Lets practice lol I liked the grociery store idea, skorian. Sooo imagine you were single and i was single, ok? How this would work? Cause i have good ideas about the gym and the courses x) :p

Another thought is try to set up a forum for your town and get people to talk on it and share idea's and stuff.

Skorian said:
Another thought is try to set up a forum for your town and get people to talk on it and share idea's and stuff.

He is not going to answer lmao Amazing that i already knew it :p j/k

Skorian said:

I like that. May find people in the same position.

Latest posts

Back