Playing Piano?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremi

Reaction score
Anyone here plays piano? It's my favorite instrument. I've always wanted to learn it, but I never had the energy to do it. I play some guitar at the moment, but my heart is leaning towards the piano. Problem is I'm very impatient. I want to become master in one week ^^

If you play it, how hard is it to learn?

Is it possible to learn on a keyboard? Because I really don't have the room for a real piano at home

hay i always wondered if the keyboard is the same as a piano. ad also like to know how to play the piano.
i one's tried to learn how to play the guitar put did not have the pashents.
but apparently the guitar is one of the hardiest instruments to play.

so if u have learnt that u shod be ok with the piano/keyboard.

also dose any one know how difficult it is to learn how to read music?
i assume that you would have to know how to do that to play the piano/keyboard.

bluey said:
also dose any one know how difficult it is to learn how to read music?
i assume that you would have to know how to do that to play the piano/keyboard.

Learning to read music is similar to learning another language.  But it's very systematic, there are only a few "words," you don't have to worry about spelling, and there aren't a zillion exceptions to grammatical rules :)  So in some sense I think it's easier.

You can play an instrument without knowing how to read music.  The "Suzuki method" of music education, for example, emphasizes playing by ear for beginning students; note reading isn't introduced until later.

Yes, I can play the piano and read manuscript. I took lessons at a very young age. When I got into my teens I learnt to play the guitar by myself. I found with my experience from playing the piano the guitar was quite easy to learn.

I played the piano as well, my dad was a music teacher. So, I learned the piano, the clarinet and the flute. I still would be playing the piano if I could..

I learned to play on a keyboard, you can learn the basics that way. But a piano has quite a different feel than a keyboard..

Reading music isn't that difficult. The hardest part about playing the piano, I found, was the eye-to-hand thing. Reading the music and making my fingers do the work was tough.. It does take A LOT of practice to play well though.. Sorry to tell ya this, but you won't be a master in a week. :eek:)

Yes, you won't be a piano master within a week. It takes a lot of hard practice, patience, and dedication. I began teaching myself at age 17, but unfortunately it's something that I found necessary to abandon because of my life at the time. This is a decision that I have always regretted, and someday when I have more time, would like to correct.

So if you begin it, don't give it up. It's a great talent to have.

Jeremi said:
Anyone here plays piano? It's my favorite instrument. I've always wanted to learn it, but I never had the energy to do it. I play some guitar at the moment, but my heart is leaning towards the piano. Problem is I'm very impatient. I want to become master in one week ^^

If you play it, how hard is it to learn?

Is it possible to learn on a keyboard? Because I really don't have the room for a real piano at home

It wasn't long at all. I'm quite certain, as I remember, that it was well under a year. :(

As "they" state, "It's always the items you didn't do, and not the items you did do.... to which you regret". This is one of those items lol.

Queen Cleocatra said:
Hey Vortex,

How long did you study the 88's?

-Cleo

Just a year? Really?! Bummer. I studied for, well, about 10. I just started playing again. Hard to believe after all this time I could still remember the notes and how to play.. :rolleyes:

Yes, those 'things you wished you'd done but didn't'.. Oh yea, I can think of a few... :(

Yes, quite well under a year. :( I did, however, learn a lot about life and the persons within it the next several following years. :D Life is always a trade-off such as this; I assume.

You're fortunate to have studied for 10 years though. That's impressive. :eek: You must play very well, I'm certain.

Yes, items we never did but wished we had done. I have a list of those myself lol.

Queen Cleocatra said:
Just a year? Really?! Bummer. I studied for, well, about 10. I just started playing again. Hard to believe after all this time I could still remember the notes and how to play.. :rolleyes:

Yes, those 'things you wished you'd done but didn't'.. Oh yea, I can think of a few... :(

Yea, why is life and its various aspects usually consist of trade-offs?!

I used to play very well, not great, but now though, my fingers are stiff, it's gonna take some practice to play well again..

You ever think about making a list of all the things you wanted to do and haven't? Then actually slowly start to make them reality?

Hmmm, perhaps it's all about the balance of life.

Well if you once played very well, you will play very well again. :)

Yes, I have that list in my head. Some items I have already completed, and some will have to wait. Others are close to come. I'm in a great period of growth and am enjoying it to its fullest. I only wish that there were more hours in a day because I don't do "slow" well. That, I'm learning also though, or that is.... attempting to teach myself.

Queen Cleocatra said:
Yea, why is life and its various aspects usually consist of trade-offs?!

I used to play very well, not great, but now though, my fingers are stiff, it's gonna take some practice to play well again..

You ever think about making a list of all the things you wanted to do and haven't? Then actually slowly start to make them reality?

Good point. Yin and yang..

I'd love to play just 'well' again.. In fact, I'd be thrilled!:shy:

I do 'slow' better now, more because I have to then by choice. I'd much rather be busy then idle any day of the week.. The spirit is willing, but alas my injured body is weak. :(

Keep working that list! :)

I've played quite a few instruments in my lifetime, but this one is by far the hardest - even harder than the viola! Queen mentioned something about having stiff fingers, and I think that may be my problem. I just took a piano test a few months ago, and I think I forgot how to play everything I learned already. It's very sad.

I LOOOOOOOOVE the piano. So many possibilities with just 88 keys. :D

It's amazing that the same instrument that plays Maple Leaf Rag also plays the Revolutionary Etude, and the same instrument that plays Moonlight Sonata also plays Let It Be. =D

I started learning about two years ago, though I've unfortunately not had much time to play in the past year. It sucks, considering I have such a long list of pieces that I want to learn. :(

Might as well share 'em:

Chopin - Piano Sonata No. 2, Mvt. III (Marche funèbre)
Danny Elfman - Grand Finale (from Edward Scissorhands)
John Williams - Jurassic Park theme (the soft one)
Bizet - Habanera (Carmen)
Rachmaninoff - Prelude in C-sharp minor
Chopin - Etude in C minor

So much to learn, so little time available to do so. =[

I am getting a piano keyboard that plugs into the computer for Christmas lol It is supposed to teach you how to play as well.

So ye this time in lets sayyyyyyyy 3 moths I well be able to play Beethoven's six symphony :cool:

Well

maybe :p

Bluey said:
I am getting a piano keyboard that plugs into the computer for Christmas lol It is supposed to teach you how to play as well.

Could be fun.:)

Minus said:
Bluey said:

Could be fun.:)

Hope so. I never learned to play a musical instrument be for. But its only a cheap thing so at the very least it should be fun. Hope its easy cos I have no clue how to read music lol

It should at least give you an idea if you like it and want to push it farther.

Minus said:
It should at least give you an idea if you like it and want to push it farther.

You mean like push it out of the window when am not a master piano player with in 10 minutes hahah

Latest posts

Back