Pointlessness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombieslayer

Reaction score
Hi. I'm really young and I feel like I'm wasting my life. I'm in high school (a private school) and I feel like I'm constantly wasting my time doing nothing. I don't go out with friends. I don't really work that hard on schoolwork. I used to write a lot, but now I'm not even doing that. I like spending time on the internet and now I think it's become an addiction. I'm really depressed and don't want to do anything else.

Eh. I guess I'm a loser.

hey I can relate to those feelings of apathy and lethargia a lot, and depression makes that worse.

but dude you're not a loser :)

Sometimes it helps just to force yourself to get out, I would hang out at bookstores a lot, sometimes I would go to movies by myself just to get out of the house every once in a while

I'm completely addicted to the internet it's pretty common,

I just go insane when the internet goes out, all I can think about is what's going on online that I'm missing.

What kind of writting did you use to do?

sometimes when it comes to the arts and such you just have to wait for and idea or inspiration to come.

I was really lonely in high school during the last two years I didn't have any friends :(

but it gave me a chance to explore the world outside of the typical social life, I started going on hikes and, spent a lot of time exploring on my bike,

What kind of writing did you like to do?

I dabble in the occasional bad spontaneous poetry

High school is rough and these feelings are more common at our age

what year are you?

I think graduating was one of the best and most liberating feelings I ever had. Once you're out it's a whole new chance to learn from your expiernces and reinvent yourself

by the way i like your signiture

:)

That sounds exactly like me. Recently I made myself start writing again finally... and I've felt better. I even only write a couple sentences a day but it does help.

zombieslayer said:
Eh. I guess I'm a loser.

That doesn't make you a loser... but it does mean that you'll remain stuck in this rut that you described.

If you want something to change, you gotta get up and work your ass off to CHANGE it.

...and I know you can. Like you yourself said, you're young. You've got plenty of time to work hard and push for what you want in life... so GET TO IT!! :D Maybe talking to some people on here will help build your confidence or resolve to make your life better!

I look forward to seeing you around the site!

evanescencefan91 said:
What kind of writing did you like to do?

I like writing screenplays. I've written one full-length script and am working on another (about pg. 70). I've also written 2 spec scripts for "The Simpsons". I also love writing short stories and poetry.

I'm a junior in high school.

Thanks for your advice :)

BTW, as a lesbian (and future witch) I find the picture in your signature most spiffy indeed. :D

haha thanks I'm glad you like it,

cool I've never actually completed any kind of writing besides the academic writing

i remember starting a story in 8th grade, but then I decided it would be better in my head :)

what's your screenplay about? my roommate's a pretty big writter just keep at

by the way I love the avatar, big month python fan

Apathy is not unusual in high school.

Part of the problem is you're kind of limited in terms of discretion regarding your activities. But for the time being, speaking as someone just coming out of their teenage years and entering the world (I'm 23), I would say you would best serve yourself by building a sound academical background, developing social skills or at least the ability to communicate, and by developing some sort of useful bread-and-butter skill. Coming out of college with a degree in Fish Squeezing is great, but knowing how to weld, troubleshoot a car engine, or develop a healthy patch of forest are vastly more useful skills nowadays and if nothing else, will help develop common 'real world' sense, and support you when the Fish Squeezing degree isn't exactly in demand.

Motivation is the most difficult part. Working out helps, as does eating well, as irrelevant as those may sound to motivation in general. But, try to paint a picture of what you -want- to be in your head, and strive to achieve that. Never forget your goal. Tell yourself every morning, "I have to do X so I can be/achieve Y." Be passionate, find the drive. Get things done and succeed, and bide your time to adulthood.

evanescencefan91 said:
haha thanks I'm glad you like it,

cool I've never actually completed any kind of writing besides the academic writing

i remember starting a story in 8th grade, but then I decided it would be better in my head :)

what's your screenplay about? my roommate's a pretty big writter just keep at

by the way I love the avatar, big month python fan

Thanks :) Who couldn't love Monty Python? When I grow up, I hope to BE John Cleese.

The first screenplay is about a lonely journalist who falls in love with a doctor that gets hit by a bus. It's supposed to be a comedy, but it's just really stupid and badly written. The second screenplay is about a girl who tries to escape her fate of being sent to a factory that manufactures people to work for the rest of her life. It's pretty trippy and I hope it turns out to be something. :)

Brian said:
Apathy is not unusual in high school.

Part of the problem is you're kind of limited in terms of discretion regarding your activities. But for the time being, speaking as someone just coming out of their teenage years and entering the world (I'm 23), I would say you would best serve yourself by building a sound academical background, developing social skills or at least the ability to communicate, and by developing some sort of useful bread-and-butter skill. Coming out of college with a degree in Fish Squeezing is great, but knowing how to weld, troubleshoot a car engine, or develop a healthy patch of forest are vastly more useful skills nowadays and if nothing else, will help develop common 'real world' sense, and support you when the Fish Squeezing degree isn't exactly in demand.

Motivation is the most difficult part. Working out helps, as does eating well, as irrelevant as those may sound to motivation in general. But, try to paint a picture of what you -want- to be in your head, and strive to achieve that. Never forget your goal. Tell yourself every morning, "I have to do X so I can be/achieve Y." Be passionate, find the drive. Get things done and succeed, and bide your time to adulthood.

Thanks for your advice!

What on FSM's blue earth is fish squeezing? It looks like something I might want to study....

zombieslayer said:
What on FSM's blue earth is fish squeezing? It looks like something I might want to study....

An acquaintance of mine works for the Forest Service and I was getting a tour of their new office/crew building this past summer. She was showing us the office areas and one of the sets of cubicles had pictures of rivers and a big fish statue hanging over it from the ceiling. I asked who that was and she said, "Oh, that's where the Fish Squeezers work."

Apparently all the different divisions of the Forest Service have this sort of friendly competition thing going on, and 'Fish Squeezer' is what the Fire and Tree people call the Marine Biologists, haha. I thought it was funny and it stuck with me.

Brian said:
zombieslayer said:

An acquaintance of mine works for the Forest Service and I was getting a tour of their new office/crew building this past summer. She was showing us the office areas and one of the sets of cubicles had pictures of rivers and a big fish statue hanging over it from the ceiling. I asked who that was and she said, "Oh, that's where the Fish Squeezers work."

Apparently all the different divisions of the Forest Service have this sort of friendly competition thing going on, and 'Fish Squeezer' is what the Fire and Tree people call the Marine Biologists, haha. I thought it was funny and it stuck with me.

That's awesome. :D

It is :D

You know, speaking of the Forest Service, if you're trying to figure out what to do in life, a career with them is not a bad one. They have a hundred different fields to go in to and pretty decent advancement opportunities, from monitoring tree health and managing the utilization of forests to protecting game populations from poachers.

Or, you can go in to firefighting, stick out a few years eating smoke and digging line, and work your way up to a command position.

It really is kind of cool and in a lot of positions you get to do a little bit of everything.

Brian said:
It is :D

You know, speaking of the Forest Service, if you're trying to figure out what to do in life, a career with them is not a bad one. They have a hundred different fields to go in to and pretty decent advancement opportunities, from monitoring tree health and managing the utilization of forests to protecting game populations from poachers.

Or, you can go in to firefighting, stick out a few years eating smoke and digging line, and work your way up to a command position.

It really is kind of cool and in a lot of positions you get to do a little bit of everything.

Thank you. I'm actually hoping to one day become a film director. Failing that, a TV writer. Failing that, writer. Failing that, English teacher. Failing that, exterminator.

Oh, well good :D

I don't think I could ever be an exterminator. How could I ever hope to exterminate spiders? :(

Brian said:
Oh, well good :D

I don't think I could ever be an exterminator. How could I ever hope to exterminate spiders? :(

With a club: :club:

Sorry. I've never used that smilie before and I just couldn't help myself.:p

Latest posts

Back