Preferred method of traveling

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
When I go on vacation, I usually drive... Longest I've driven in one sitting was 6 hrs... Longest drive I've done was 22 hours to Key West, Florida... Of course stopping for gas & breaks in between... My mom always tells me with the price of the gas & tolls & food, it might've been cheaper if I tried to find a cheap flight down there... I just like long distance driving, especially by myself... I get to enjoy the scene & it relaxes me though I think my limit is 6 straight hours of driving... How do you travel? Bus, plane, drive, or something else entirely?

Same as you. I'm looking at getting something like a newer Landcruiser- kinda perfect for crawling around the mountains.

Yeah, I love driving too. Longest drive was probably a couple of years ago, driving accross half of the North Island, New Zealand, Cambridge to Wellington in one day. Took a long drive back around the island to go home, even up a Volcano!

I had a job once travelling around the UK so that really opened me up to long distance driving.

Badjedidude said:
I guess it depends on distance. Overall, I'd much rather fly. :D

To be fair, I did take the plane from the UK to New Zealand. Now that would be an epic road trip!!!

Longest two drives I've done in one sitting are Illinois to Houston, TX, and then Illinois to Gatlinburg, TN. 15 hours and about 12 hours for Gatlinburg.

Ooh I've gone to Niagara Falls in one drive too. I don't remember how long that was. Maybe 10 hours or so? Oh...and Stone Mountain, GA =P. I've had a few long drives I guess. :O

Driving too! :) I am afraid of being in the plane. I don't have a driver's license yet because it's very expensive but it's nice when someone else drives. :D

Driving! I have in recent years became afraid of flying. I have no idea what triggered it, and when I was a kid I didn't care.

Well maybe it is a woman vrs man thing but I HATE driving anyplace long. First, I think it can be downright dangerous for a woman to travel alone in a car... just in general, but what if you break down? Honestly with pot holes I can't drive anyplace without almost taking out a tire. I remember once driving at night (2 AM) through Ohio. Not ONLY was every single road under construction... nothing was open. You would really think rest stops would have places open but alas... not really.

Though, do I like driving? You bet. But not too far and only good roads.

My second favorite has to be flying. Though I have soured on it lately, I love that feeling when you take off where your stomach falls out from under you. I love when the airplane floors it down the runway. What a rush. I like the inflight movie.. no matter what it is, it is better on the plane. What I don't like are two things: (1) I have trouble with the pressure in the ears. I have actually been made deaf when I got of the plane. That is actually kind of scary and (2) I don't like landing... it seems too precarious. Funny Nicole I think I had a trigger that made me not like flying anymore. I wonder what happened? I just don't feel like it anymore.

I think my favorite has to be the train. I took the train from Boston to NYC and I loved it. The seats were comfortable. It wasn't too crowded and it was easy to get on and off. You could get food, walk around, and use the bathrooms (which weren't bad) and it didn't take that long -- like 5 hours. I took the high speed train on the way back and I didn't think it was that great. I took a laptop with a DVD and it was as good as a movie on a plane.

Driving terrifies me, I've never been sure why. And the longer I do it, the more nervous I get.

I don't mind being a passenger though. :p If I could afford such a thing I would hire a chauffeur to take me everywhere.

I like trains, boats, planes, walking...

I hate all forms of transport :p

Flying is cool and all but Christ it scares the honeysuckle out of me. We really aren't supposed to be doing that, you know. No amount of statistics on people being killed by vending machines or getting struck by lightning will change the horrid feeling of being ridiculously high in the air in a flying hot man-made chunk of metal flown by stupid humans. Turbulence is the ******* worst thing in the world. Next to ostridges. fresia ostridges.

I get sicks on boats and they are just as bad as planes. fresia swimming, and fresia the ocean, and all the creepy slimey smelly things that live in it.

I get sick in cars too especially if I'm in the back. Not as bad as when I was a kid but I don't like to be pestered or have cramped legs and I need to sleep for a few, then after I wake up I seem to be somewhat immune to sickness. I don't get sick if I'm driving, and driving can be sorta fun, but on the whole I don't like it, it stresses me out and is scary and other drivers are ******** and my knee hurts from being so idiotly tense on the clutch. I would not like to drive on the motorway. Or in a city. fresia that.

Public transport is gross and covered in germs.

I just walk everywhere I need to be. Luckily I never really need to be anywhere far.

I have no problem with driving , there is not much other options where I live and a 4x4 is essential . I average approximately 50000 km per year and enjoy long drives it's traffic which drives me nuts . The longest one stretch I've done is Melbourne to perth about 3500 km , with one 4 hour stop for a sleep and it took 2 days in a shitty old truck speed limited to 90km/ hr and no air con and stereo arrrr . But a brick on the accelerator was as good as cruse control ha ha . The nullabor plain is tough on the attention span .

As much as I like driving, I wanna try cross country train ride... I tried looking it up once & remember seeing something like it... Only thing I don't like about it is when I get to my destination, then what? No way of getting to places except taxi or public transportation... I much prefer having a freedom that having my own car gives me... I guess that's one of the reasons why I haven't followed up on taking that train trip... May be there's one that lets you being your own car...

It depends on where I am I guess. I loved driving in Australia, New Zealand and Europe because of the breathtaking scenery. But I prefer taking the train in Asia because the roads are too chaotic for me. But on a train, I still get to see a bit of streetlife.

If the world was a safer place, I would love to travel alone. But with all my nasty experiences being stalked, molested, robbed and almost raped, I'd like a companion now, preferably someone who could kick some arse :D

I enjoy driving, especially on sunny days with a nice view to look at. Those were the days...

Flying, that is the best way to travel. The roar of the engines, the feeling of the plane taking off down the runway the lifting off. Looking down the earth, what a view. It's awesome.

Sci-Fi said:
Flying, that is the best way to travel. The roar of the engines, the feeling of the plane taking off down the runway the lifting off. Looking down the earth, what a view. It's awesome.

As far as the planes go, I do like sitting in the window seats next to the wings... I can look out the window & see all the moving parts going on wings, pretty cool...

Latest posts

Back