Question for Mentaly Ill Welfare-Case Loners...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

torontonian

Reaction score
My roomie is one of you. I asked why he didnt get a nite shift job as a security guard so he wouldnt deal with ppl, he said it was beneath him, so he stays at home 24/7, spends 1/4 of the day cooking, tolerating noise quietly in his room & occasionaly shouts or talks to himself, collecting $200 welfare monthly after rent. Doesnt he realize that being dependant, isolated & poor makes his illness worse? HIS excuse offended me, so I never asked him, maybe others like him can explain.

Tell him that someone who would, by choice, rather do nothing and collect welfare instead of get a job is as low as they come. Scrubbing honeysuckle off of bathroom floors with his tongue would be a step up for him.

Brian said:
Tell him that someone who would, by choice, rather do nothing and collect welfare instead of get a job is as low as they come. Scrubbing honeysuckle off of bathroom floors with his tongue would be a step up for him.

*nods* I agree.

That's just what some of us call "laziness".

I think he just insulted us...
Just kick your roommate out if you hate living with him so much.

Also, tell him there's a mean ****** from Idaho on his way over to collect the free money he's taking from me.

Yeah, accompanied by a young woman with a katana blade. >_>

A night shift job as a security guard? Sounds like a sweet gig! Where do I send my resume?

Listen to this: he tried to buy a smoke from me, i said i dont sell, was a bit awkward but whatever, so TWICE a week for the next 3 weeks he offers me food & the use of his kitchen appliances despite my refusing to talk to him, which I declined, causing him frustration. i would still say hello to him every morning, but he never did. can someone explain his intentions to me? PS. he is my ex roomie, i was co-habitating by necessity temporarily after relocating

alonerly said:
I think he just insulted us...

I wondered about that.

xenophon said:
My roomie is one of you. I asked why he didnt get a nite shift job as a security guard so he wouldnt deal with ppl, he said it was beneath him, so he stays at home 24/7, spends 1/4 of the day cooking, tolerating noise quietly in his room & occasionaly shouts or talks to himself, collecting $200 welfare monthly after rent. Doesnt he realize that being dependant, isolated & poor makes his illness worse? HIS excuse offended me, so I never asked him, maybe others like him can explain.

It's obvious this person who posted is a dick. Why do some of you let people like this person and torontoassian talk to you like that? What the fresia is "one of you"? And the comment about "doesn't he realize it makes his illness worse." Really? How do you know? Where did you get your degree? Where is your proof?
"Others like him"? Your a dick. His "excuse" offends you? Your arrogance offends me. Speaking of being "being dependant, isolated & poor " Apparently your not doing so well either or you wouldnt need a room mate. I own my home. Maybe you could explain to me why you must depend on a mentally ill room mate to make the rent? Don't you know that must be bad for your self esteem? Don't you have a decent job that pays you enough to own a home...like I do? How does it feel to be a an arrogant loser who has to share rent? Apparently you have your own issues to work out. Get the log out of your eye before you try to get the stick out of someone elses.

WOW, Guys give this guy a break. He's obviously not happy with he's life. And dose sound like he's alone not just phisacly but mentally in he's head has well.

Maybe he dose not look at that job has beneath him. Maybe he's just using that has an excuse to not go for it. Maybe he's just really scared of the world out side of witch he lives.

I would say based on what we know about him we really should not be making judgements. Everyone here should know this already.

xenophon said:
Listen to this: he tried to buy a smoke from me, i said i dont sell, was a bit awkward but whatever, so TWICE a week for the next 3 weeks he offers me food & the use of his kitchen appliances despite my refusing to talk to him, which I declined, causing him frustration. i would still say hello to him every morning, but he never did. can someone explain his intentions to me? PS. he is my ex roomie, i was co-habitating by necessity temporarily after relocating

So now he's an ex roomie. So whats the problem? He is living his life the way he wants and its none of your business. Live and let live. He "used" the goverment out of neccessity and you used him out of necessity. I guess that makes you an accomplise.

HA, Naleena me and you posted at the very same time here basically saying the same thing hah. How weird is that?

Bluey said:
WOW, Guys give this guy a break. He's obviously not happy with he's life. And dose sound like he's alone not just phisacly but mentally in he's head has well.

Maybe he dose not look at that job has beneath him. Maybe he's just using that has an excuse to not go for it. Maybe he's just really scared of the world out side of witch he lives.

I would say based on what we know about him we really should not be making judgements. Everyone here should know this already.

I agree Bluey with some of what you said. Some people have problems and disabilities and they can't help themselves like the rest of us. I don't like it when people look down on the poor because they can't help themselves or the mentally ill. It's quite sad that people lack empathy for fellow human beings. Instead you get people who are arrogant and think they know it all. Except for the grace of god...we could be one of those people. People in those situations need help. They need education and role model to look up to. They don't need people telling them how low they are...cause they already know that.
The poster is insulting people on the bord who may be on welfare and have mental health problems.

Bluey said:
HA, Naleena me and you posted at the very same time here basically saying the same thing hah. How weird is that?

That is funny:p I think we see a like on some of this. Im not one for writing someone off because they are mentally or physically ill and get help from the goverment. I will never say a word to a dollar that I pay in taxes to feed babies, old people, or mentally ill or handicap. Thats what we are supposed to do. To help each other. To be our brothers keeper. I don't agree with looking down on people. Those people are just as precious as anyone else and their dreama are just as valid. They need help...not judgments.

That reminds me when I first became on benefit. My sister used to say it was disgusting how little I would get to live on since it was not my fault I could not work any longer. Then she started working and complained about how much tax they took of her. I then said you can not have it both ways. You ether pay that tax or ppl like me have even less to live on. She said she never thought of it like that. She has never complained again about her taxers since in all the years she has worked.

All though I should add that for some reason I don't seem to get has much has anyone else on sick benefit. I think cos I don't exaggerate my condition and say I need help when I don't. But that's another story

Good to see you BTW :)

Bluey said:

I was wondering about this, too. Excuses can be much easier than the truth sometimes, especially when you're interacting with people you don't think will understand. I do the same thing once in a while, to a certain extent. A friend of mine, who works at a newspaper, called me up the other day to tell me that a subsidiary publication is looking for a sports writer. He thought I'd be a good candidate. I told him I don't think I'm remotely qualified for such a position; I can write and take pictures, but I have no previous journalism experience, I'm unfamiliar with their photoshop programs, and I know nothing of page design. Still, he said, It can't hurt to apply.

This is true. What harm could it do for me to apply? Absolutely none. But it's been a week and I have yet to even start a sample piece. As usual, it's my lack of confidence that keeps me from doing this. But I would never tell my friend this. Instead I use my lack of experience as an excuse not to put myself out on a limb. It could very well be the same for the fellow in question.

Just for the record, I AM going to apply for that job, even though I'm sure I won't get it. I'm going to write a couple of sample pieces this weekend and doctor my resume a bit, then take a deep breath and role the dice. Wish me luck!

ledchick said:
I have been a hard worker all my life, until my illness became so bad that I could no longer keep a job. I am now in the process of applying for the benefits, that I have paid for! I think that everyone should put the shoe on the other foot BEFORE you judge someone. NO ONE knows what another person is going through unless they have walked a mile in their shoes. I am glad that some of you can be successful without the help or assistance that is available. But their are people in this world that it does not come so easily for them. If someone would like to judge me based just on the fact that I receive assistance, they should hope that they are never in need or in a situation that warrants them to receive help from anyone. I paid my taxes and ss income tax for 20 years and the money I paid in is mine to draw on.....that is what it is FOR!

I absolutely agree! No one knows how hard it is to be in that kind of situation. Anyone can find themself in a situation like that given the right conditions. It's so easy to point a BLIND finger instead of getting to know the facts and the people who are trapped behind the problems. Empathy is a rare gift.

Spare said:
Bluey said:

I was wondering about this, too. Excuses can be much easier than the truth sometimes, especially when you're interacting with people you don't think will understand. I do the same thing once in a while, to a certain extent. A friend of mine, who works at a newspaper, called me up the other day to tell me that a subsidiary publication is looking for a sports writer. He thought I'd be a good candidate. I told him I don't think I'm remotely qualified for such a position; I can write and take pictures, but I have no previous journalism experience, I'm unfamiliar with their photoshop programs, and I know nothing of page design. Still, he said, It can't hurt to apply.

This is true. What harm could it do for me to apply? Absolutely none. But it's been a week and I have yet to even start a sample piece. As usual, it's my lack of confidence that keeps me from doing this. But I would never tell my friend this. Instead I use my lack of experience as an excuse not to put myself out on a limb. It could very well be the same for the fellow in question.

Just for the record, I AM going to apply for that job, even though I'm sure I won't get it. I'm going to write a couple of sample pieces this weekend and doctor my resume a bit, then take a deep breath and role the dice. Wish me luck!

Am glad your going for it though. I mean its the old problem of not having any confidence. You are not going to get any in less you try at this things but to try you need some confidante. I too have had the same problem in my own life in the passed. It can be a horrible circle to get yourself into. But like Naleena says its just where some ppl find themselves to be most of the time fro no fault of there own.

All this really is something that I think most here would understand.

To get over this problems I would say would be a lot easier with out ppl jugging you and just to be there and make you feel good about yourself and to encourage you at your own past. ie, To have good friends around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back