Questions for the Women

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paraiyar said:
If you were talking with a guy friend about a t.v show and you mentioned that there were a couple of hot girls on that show would you get angry at them and tell them that they sounded like a ****** for talking about women that way?

A guy FRIEND? Not a boyfriend? No, I wouldn't care, I would probably tell him whether or not I agree.
But honestly, I do that with boyfriends too. lol, They can look and obviously they have opinions....they just can't touch and most likely will never have the chance. I wouldn't suggest a boyfriend doing that just walking down the street, though, that's too close to home.

bleed_the_freak said:
Are certain adjectives better than others? Or is this a subjective determination?

I don't see why adjectives among friends would hold any weight, they are FRIENDS, they aren't intimate, so what does it matter?  You should be able to talk freely with friends, regardless of gender.
Now, I wouldn't go using words that you know she doesn't like, and I suppose "hot" could be one, but that's so minor of a word.  
Unless, of course, the girl is in love with you or simply wants to date you.

bleed_the_freak said:
Are certain adjectives better than others? Or is this a subjective determination?

Yes. Hot sounds very objectifying whereas beautiful is used to describe precious things. That is why .

bleed_the_freak said:
What if I said a woman had a hot temper but a beautiful vagina?
See I'd wonder if she had a hot temper how come you were still alive after seeing her beautiful vagina :D

Paraiyar said:
If you were talking with a guy friend about a t.v show and you mentioned that there were a couple of hot girls on that show would you get angry at them and tell them that they sounded like a ****** for talking about women that way?

I mentioned, or they mentioned the hot girls? I've mentioned women I thought were pretty on shows and movies, and they've mentioned attractive women, and no one got mad. We usually just agreed and talked about it, or went on with the conversation. I don't see why anyone would get angry at that.

re: beautiful vagina

Are you referring to her actual vagina or are you calling her genitalia in its entirety a vagina?

bleed_the_freak said:
What if I said a woman had a hot temper but a beautiful vagina?

I'd say there's potential to get pussy whipped getting enveloped in such a force of nature.

VanillaCreme said:
Paraiyar said:
If you were talking with a guy friend about a t.v show and you mentioned that there were a couple of hot girls  on that show would you get angry at them and tell them that they sounded like a ****** for talking about women that way?

I mentioned, or they mentioned the hot girls? I've mentioned women I thought were pretty on shows and movies, and they've mentioned attractive women, and no one got mad. We usually just agreed and talked about it, or went on with the conversation. I don't see why anyone would get angry at that.

The guy mentioned the hot girls.

Women calling men hot is if anything, viewed as endearing. Yet we have pages of people here discussing whether a man doing is it being creepy and guilty of objectifying strangers.

Paraiyar said:
If you were talking with a guy friend about a t.v show and you mentioned that there were a couple of hot girls  on that show would you get angry at them and tell them that they sounded like a ****** for talking about women that way?

Not at all. Even if someone, guy or girl, only watched tv shows with hot people exclusively, I'd still not consider that douchey. Superficial maybe, but ****** is a strong word, imo at least.

You could call some girls an Angel and they would still find a way to find it objectifying lol

ardour said:
Women calling men hot is if anything, viewed as endearing. Yet we have pages of people here discussing whether a man doing is it being creepy and guilty of objectifying strangers.

That's actually what I was thinking when I read Rainbows' reply. Okay, some people don't like the term, especially applied to themselves. That's fine. But if it's said that it's objecting women, it should probably be applied to saying it to guys, too. Doesn't make any sense to get upset over women being "hot" but saying it to a guy is perfectly fine. Can't say it for one and not the other. This is just another example of wanting to be treated fairly, but expecting different treatment.

I think perhaps the problem with calling women "hot" to other women is whether or not you would say the woman you are talking to is "hot." I think this applies to guys, as well. It's a confidence thing, I think. If you don't care what you look like and are content with the way you are, it isn't going to bother you, whereas if they have low self esteem or body image issues, it is more likely to bother them.

So yeah, "hot" is an objectifying term, because it's unlikely an "average" or "below average" person is ever going to be called "hot." And I think that's what it boils down to...the person feels left out because they aren't likely to get that.

Do friends and acquaintances value how "hot" they find one another? It definitely is a confidence thing, but do these people take a casual statement about the hotness of a person (on a TV show even) as an objective measure of their own lower attractiveness? And why is that relevant to them?

Bleed_the_freak's statement got me thinking. Would we call a car beautiful, hot or both? How about a painting or a landscape? Do we ever call anything but living beings "hot" and couldn't that be an acknowledgement that it is actually not just about the physical form but also how the person carries themselves in that form?

Interesting point, Rodent. To me the word "hot" relates to sexiness. I could think of some men and women as hot, certain outfits and even cars. But I wouldn't use it to describe a landscape or building for example.

I suppose different adjectives mean different things to different people. So some people find some labels objectifying while others don't. Also, certain words can trigger a person's own insecurities and cause them to react negatively. They might not even be aware of it in fact.

Latest posts

Back