Quirks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senamian

Reaction score
Some quirks people don't know of, or may know of (unlikely)...

Firstly lots of these when people do find them out they tend to think it is HILARIOUS to instigate.

- Even numbers. The volume for example on TVs need to be as such (starting from 15):15, but not 16, 18, 20, 22, but not 24, 25, but not 26, 28... LOL. Don't know why, it's just how I am!

- Pencils/pens must point in the same direction. Why? I have no idea. :p Just because.

- Organized mess. I am not kidding about either word. Move something, and I will ask you were the Hell those headphones went that were next to the bag, under the pile of "important" papers that were wedged between the bag of bags and my purse on the table beside the coffee cup with pens and pencils in it. Don't touch. It'll throw me right off. And then I'll be lost. Forever.

- When walking (another OCD thing?) I don't like to step on the lines/cracks between each pavement slab.

- I double triple check my doors (and windows if they have been opened that day) to make sure they are closed and locked before I go to bed. If I personally have not checked, I will not sleep well until I do.

And these are little quirks I cannot seem to get out of... But whatever. :) What quirks do you have?

Senamian said:
- Organized mess. I am not kidding about either word. Move something, and I will ask you were the Hell those headphones went that were next to the bag, under the pile of "important" papers that were wedged between the bag of bags and my purse on the table beside the coffee cup with pens and pencils in it. Don't touch. It'll throw me right off. And then I'll be lost. Forever.

Me too. There are auctioneers organizing everything where I work to be sold off this weekend and they have moved everything. I can't find anything and stuff is missing that I know where it was in the mess before they cleaned it up.

I like to have my volume on an even number, never and odd one, ever. If my brother leaves my cd player in my car on an odd number I will adjust it to an even one.

I'll put things in weird order sometimes, like not alphabetical but which what I like the most to least.

I was in a forum for Asperger's a while ago as I believe I have a mild form of it. There were a number of these "quirks" threads over there. Virtually everything you have written here must have been repeated 100s of times over there. I have a number of them myself. Asperger's/autistic people HATE it when people move things without telling them in advance, it is related to a need for order and routine.

Of course, I don't know you personally. But if I were you I would examine the Asperger's label, it may shed some insight on what makes you tick.

Other things to look at: well first of all, poor social skills. And do you have a jagged cognitive profile? Really good in 1 or 2 things, really bad in others?

Sci-Fi: I don't do alphabetical order really either - but for instance papers... Biggest on bottom, smallest on top. At work, the handmade break schedule MUST be in order of times... So 8-5 is before 1-9 which is before 4-9. lol. If something cannot be in even numbers, I change it to being a pattern.

Batman: Actually I did look it up because there was a time I thought "what the fresia is wrong with me?!" I mean, I'm not heading to college... I'm not retarded or anything, but to society I mind as well be.

Example: The spatial/spatial aspect of me. I can write, I can sketch/draw, I can take 2D to 3D and vice versa... I am a natural with photography, I can learn languages, but - crap with math and science. :p I have to learn math a certain way, or no way. See, touch and hear. See a demonstration, touch object (blocks for example), and hear an explanation.

Even if I do have it, I have no interest in testing. It really isn't harming me. Though some things bug me, I'm not sick because of it. I have read up on it like I said, though a lot of it did not apply to me. A few things did, definitely.

- Crowds: Hate them. I can stand a certain amount of people, but I found this out when I went to the mall in the city (used to be the Largest Mall in the world until 2004), and every time I left I was overwhelmed and stressed. And I can become rather harsh/cold when like that. So, I avoid it now :p

- Routine: I prefer it. I have moved (since February last year): 5 times. Routine? What routine?! At least now I am in a place that is MINE and I don't need to worry about ignorant roommates or living with family. I become stressed and annoyed without routine.

- Time: If someone says "be there in three hours" it isn't so bad. Now, if they say "Be there at 2:30" and they aren't, it bugs me. Or, me not leaving for work on time, or arriving on time. THAT really pushes my buttons. Out of everything, that is the one thing I'd want to "ease back on".

Senamian said:
Even if I do have it, I have no interest in testing. It really isn't harming me. Though some things bug me, I'm not sick because of it. I have read up on it like I said, though a lot of it did not apply to me. A few things did, definitely.

I would say, *I* might be sick because of it, partially at least.

But a mild case like you and I have, seeking diagnosis will not help anymore than self-diagnosis will. With an actual diagnosis, you get a piece of paper, but what good is that? You can show it to a potential employer who will certainly show no mercy in not calling you back.

Unless a person is the type who virtually carries a sign that says Asperger/autism (meaning they exhibit strong symptoms), I'd say it's probably better not to seek diagnosis. If you reveal your diagnosis to idiots--by that I mean most people--they will think you're entitled or gaming the system or something.

I always put my coffee cup to the same exact place on the table. :shy:

Batman exactly lol. Actually... Here... I HATE the doctors. Hate them hate them hate them! I have mild asthma, induced by season and mild allergies (even stress), and what did they do? "Nah you have acid reflux. Here, take these drugs that could potentially make you nauseous and extremely tired." The fresia?? Kitchen accident left me with a nicked tenon, and damaged nerves (THANK YOU American doctor for being a real doctor...). But the docs here said it was: a cyst (err... It's called a bone, kinda like the one on my other wrist...), and that I had carpel tunnel and arthritis (no tests. Just assuming). So I turned to a friend in the USA studying medical in college.

They're a bunch of piill pushers. I had a flu I believe... "Here take these drugs that will obviously just be covering the fact you feel like crap, oh, and you can get a STROKE from taking them, but y'know, we won't test for the underlying issue..." Another one told me birth control helps mood swings. I'm allergic to it. To an extent mood is not even the word anymore... Between murderous and suicidal... It scared the crap out of me.

Anyways, ending that rant :p But that is the main reason I don't go to doctors. At all. They're wrong anyways :p

LonelyFairy: I sit in the same spot :p "Big Bang Theory" Sheldon version. "You're sitting in my spot. But that's my spot..." LOL

- Another quirk: I may not be "tidy", and nowhere near OCD tidy. But, thanks to childhood circumstances and memories if I DO start cleaning, it's not done until it is DONE. And by DONE I mean near immaculate.

I don't have a spot for me, but I do have one for my keys and wallet. If they're not there I'll lost them, and since having a spot I've forgot my keys once in 15 years

Nice! I do that. But if someone else moves it... Oh god! I'm more than lost :p

I'm looking forward to rearranging my records into genre and sub classified alphabetically. That should be a cracking night in. They also have to be an orderly distance from the edge of the shelf.

Other than that I'm a bit of a jumble really, life's always dishevelling itself, can only fight it for so long.

I organize DVDs, CDs, games, etc...

Gamecube games must be together, and have "Mario" with other "Mario" games, while Prince of Persia must be in order from first to last... Same with the Xbox games :p Movies generally are in alphabetical order, or, most preferred to least.

Types of disc have to be together of course. Also if I can help it they don't get touched. I have some cds in my collection that I've bought, ripped to my pc and never got played again. I can't bear scratches on music discs.

All games and such are in order of when I last got them out, although I should do alphabetically since I can never find what I'm looking for!

I also go to great lengths in order to not forget things, like I'll have three reminders that your birthday is coming up so I can organise something. Not that I forget your birthday, I just forget it's coming and it's here.

Latest posts

Back