Re: Posting a Video into a Post

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WishingWell

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me how I can post a Video, whereas readers only have to click on the arrow to view it, instead of having to click on the link? Also, if I am typing in a post, is there a way for me to save it to look something up like a Video or to post a picture, and then go back into the post to put the Video or picture in my post and then finish typing it?

Could you please give step by step instructions so it is easy for me to follow. I am not very computer literate.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer my questions!

I quick edited this because when I went back into the Thread, there was an advertisement on the bottom that I did not put there. Then when I hit save changes, the advertisement was gone! What is happening?

WishingWell said:
Could someone please tell me how I can post a Video, whereas readers only have to click on the arrow to view it, instead of having to click on the link? Also, if I am typing in a post, is there a way for me to save it to look something up like a Video or to post a picture, and then go back into the post to put the Video or picture in my post and then finish typing it?

I'd need to know what browser you're using, but usually there's a way to open up tabs in your browser. If you don't know how to do this, you can always go up to File in the top left corner of your browser and choose "Open New Window" to have two sessions running at the same time.

Once you have that taken care of:

1. Start a new post/thread.
2. In your second browser window, navigate to the video you want to share. Note that there is a list of places you can post videos from which I'll explain later.
3. Once you're at the video, look to the top of your browser and you'll see the address bar. The URL in the address bar usually starts with "http://". You want to highlight this entire URL by either double clicking on the address bar, or moving your pointer to the start of the URL and dragging your mouse to the end of the URL.
4. Then, while the URL is highlighted you want to copy it. You can do this by right clicking on the URL with your mouse and selecting to copy it. The alternative is to hold CTRL and hit the C key while the URL is highlighted.
5. Now go back to the A Lonely Life window.
6. When you look at the text box where you can type, just above it is a menu where you can choose to Bold, Italicize, or Underline things. If you follow this menu all the way to the right, you should notice an icon the looks like a T.V.
7. Click on the T.V. icon and it will show you a list of websites that you're allowed to post videos from. Let's assume you have a video from Youtube.
8. Click on Youtube from the list and you'll see a prompt to type in the URL you want to show.
9. Since we already have the URL for the video copied, you want to right click inside the box where you can type and click on paste. Alternatively, you can hold down CTRL and press the V button.
10. Once the URL is in the box, press OK.

This will populate html code into the original text box where you're used to typing. It's important that you don't alter the code in any way or it may mess up the video.

If you need any more instruction than that, I can post up a few screenshots if you're struggling. :)

Also, the advertisement will not go away. It's a part of the site and one of the ways the host can make money so that they are able to maintain it for all of us for free.

Thank you Stride. I wanted to see if anyone answered me, but I don't have time right now to try it. When you say Browser do you mean what Program I am using like AOL? Windows Vista with a PC? I feel so stupid!

Also, are you saying you can't save the post/thread to get the picture or video--you have to "open a new window?" I am not sure how to navigate around that if I have two windows open at the same time--ALL and YouTube, for example. I tried clicking file on the very top of my computer and clicked on New and then Web Window and it brought up a page that said "make AOL your front page"--which it already is.

And, I use photobucket for adding pictures, will I have to open a new window to that too? When PMing, I save as Draft and go to Photobucket and get the link I want to post and go back to draft. But when I am done with Photobucket, a message comes up that says "Close all tabs?" And if you don't say YES, ridiculously, you can't do anything. If you click on NO, nothing happens.

I am so sorry for bothering you.

Thank you so much for answering me.

Honestly, I've never used AOL and wasn't even aware they had a Browser. You said you had Windows Vista? Is there any way you can use Internet Explorer as your Browser and try the steps again?

You can do this all the same way you were doing because the option save posts/threads as drafts is there. This is just an easier way to micro manage...I hope at least your original question was answered about posting videos. :)

I still haven't had time to sit down and try to go step by step and try to post a video, but yes I have internet explorer, but embarrassing don't know how to use it.

I will get back to you when I try it.

Thanks for your patience. I am sorry, but things with me are crazy now and I just haven't had time.

This is a test.

Nope. I couldn't find a place where it says "Open New Window." So I on ALL starting typing in the thread, and then went on Google, chose a video, cut and pasted the link and tried to close the Video page. My computer said "close all tabs? I clicked NO and it won't do anything. I clicked yes, and of course it closed ALL also.

I don't see anywhere that it lists places you can post videos so that must be in the New Window, which I wasn't able to open.

I'm stumped.

You have to paste that URL into the little TV icon I talked about in step 7.

embed.jpg

If it's a youtube video, you just use the youtube tags.

[*youtube][/youtube] (please remove the "*" when using the tags)

And then pasting the last eleven characters of the url in between the youtube tags. For example, this video I will post right now is at:

You ONLY take these last eleven characters: 012UlEi_0uo and put them in-between the tags... which gives you this:

[youtube]012UlEi_0uo[/youtube]

The problem that I am having is that I can't start a post or thread and then open a second browser window.

So if I start a new post or thread and go to the video and copy the link, when I click the x to get out of that page where the video page is, my computer gives me a message saying "close all windows"--I don't know why it asks that, because you can't choose NO because nothing happens. If you click YES then it closes not only the Video page, it closes ALL too.

Maybe it's because I am using AOL and can't figure out how to open a new browser window so I have one separate from each other instead of on top of each other???? I will have to try to play around with Internet Explorer and see if I can learn how to use it so maybe this will work then.

Thanks! I am sorry that I am so annoying and frustrating. I am not an easy learner either--as you can tell. :club:

WishingWell said:
Thanks! I am sorry that I am so annoying and frustrating. I am not an easy learner either--as you can tell. :club:

Let us know how it works out. Don't get yourself down, I've talked to a lot of people that aren't as PC literate as they'd like to be and the outcome is usually a new learning experience which is never bad. :)

I will keep you updated. It's going to take me a while though, as I am going through a serious illness with the closest person in my life, and trying to spend more time with her and doing more for her. I am spending less time on the computer and more time doing what I need to do. Thank you so much for all the information you gave me. I have my nephew's friend coming to visit soon and he is a computer wiz and maybe can walk me through Internet Explorer. Things are kind of up in the air for me now.

Latest posts

Back