Religion in relation to depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you religious?

• Yes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Yes, religious people of strong faith are less likely to be depressed, as has been documented by studies.

i think some people are more likely to find religion if they become depressed enough.

IgnoredOne said:
Yes, religious people of strong faith are less likely to be depressed, as has been documented by studies.

care to back up that statement? i'm genuinely curious as to which studies these are, and my intent is to go no further than to read them.

Honestly... I think it's more about believing in yourself and something/someone greater than you that is "up there looking out for you" that helps with the depression. I'm religious, but I'm still depressed, but that's probably just one more thing that makes me a freak. :D

Stride said:
care to back up that statement? i'm genuinely curious as to which studies these are, and my intent is to go no further than to read them.

IgnoredOne wasn't implying that any one religion works better than any other... or even that any of the religions in any study are true.

It's more about a human being simply BELIEVING in a brighter outlook or a higher meaning to life somewhere out there. That DEFINITELY will lead to a better personal outlook in one's life and less depression.

Badjedidude said:
IgnoredOne wasn't implying that any one religion works better than any other... or even that any of the religions in any study are true.

It's more about a human being simply BELIEVING in a brighter outlook or a higher meaning to life somewhere out there. That DEFINITELY will lead to a better personal outlook in one's life and less depression.

Indeed, the idea that efficacy and veracity are linked in any way at all was well beyond me. Many false things are effective and many true things are not; it is merely an observation of the effect of a certain process.

Badjedidude said:
Stride said:

that's great. but saying that without any evidence to back it up discredits the statement and leaves it as merely poetic. i specifically stated my intent to avoid a debate over my intentions. Ignoredone provided the study he was referring to, and now i have something to read and broaden my understanding. :)

Yes, religion often helps against depression. The price is that your view on life is a lie, you undermine knowledge and reason, and you are cowed your whole life.

Heaven and reincarnation jump to mind. The idea that you have control, and that it is possible for you to make things better for yourself. I personally believe that things might get better (for however long), but that they always get worse (in the end). Everything ends. The truth can be a bit depressing.

trZ said:
Yes, religion often helps against depression. The price is that your view on life is a lie, you undermine knowledge and reason, and you are cowed your whole life.

that's a dangerous statement to make. what evidence beyond your own personal bias do you have of this?

Of course there is, look at what they talk about and make people do, sometimes sme of that stuff alone is bad enough.

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT.... There's no reason that this thread needs to become a discussion about the "good or evil" of religions.

Just try to keep focus on OP's question, aye?

Stride said:
that's a dangerous statement to make. what evidence beyond your own personal bias do you have of this?

Religiosity is not fundamentally correlated with lower levels of education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...g_religious_belief_and_educational_attainment

Nonetheless, Richard Lynn, known for his controversial remarks, observed that there was a general pattern of higher percentage of atheists in any population of overall higher IQ. This observation and relevant bio on Dr. Lynn can be also found in the link provided.

The statement 'cowed' is difficult to quantify in testable terms. At least in the form of political activism, common ancedotal evidence would suggest that religious individuals are not any particularly more submissive or less active than nonreligious individuals.

Religion has nothing to do with my depression, I'm a religious person, not an overly zealous one mind you. My depression has to do with having to start the week with a 3rd crappy Monday in a row. I'm tired and stressed out and just so sick of having people tell me to fresia myself because some idiot gave them improper information. I'm tired of my boss being a prick and a chicken who can't say something to my face, instead he leaves and calls me on the phone. I'm sick of having a smart mouthed teenage employee despite his good work. I'm sick of being expected to be Superman despite people knowing I don't have the "powers" to do half of the stuff that is expected of me.

None of this has anything to do with religion, nor do I attribute any of it to religion. I learned a long time ago that I can't blame God for what happens or what other people do. Those who do are weak minded individuals.

Religious people are generally more happy than non-religious people because they believe in a higher purpose and afterlife.
Really sucks when you are not religious but you want those benefits ^^

Stride said:
trZ said:

I don't know where you are from, but in my home country, Norway, religion is very rare and most people are agnostic (i.e doesn't care) or atheistic. We generally don't see religion as anything else than what I just said.

Lets not start a discussion on this, because discussing this matter is utterly useless - But, I can make those statements because religion is based in feelings, not logic or reason. There is no reason for me to believe in the words of the different religions out there, and religion as a institution is nothing else than organizing those beliefs and use it for money and/or power.

Again, I really do not wish to start at discussion about this, I've made that error so many times before, and it leads to absolutely nothing else than some religious people / defenders of religion being angry at me for being so bold and "disrespectful". I wish religion could be discussed, but it can't.

trZ said:
Stride said:
trZ said:

I don't know where you are from, but in my home country, Norway, religion is very rare and most people are agnostic (i.e doesn't care) or atheistic. We generally don't see religion as anything else than what I just said.

Lets not start a discussion on this, because discussing this matter is utterly useless - But, I can make those statements because religion is based in feelings, not logic or reason. There is no reason for me to believe in the words of the different religions out there, and religion as a institution is nothing else than organizing those beliefs and use it for money and/or power.

Again, I really do not wish to start at discussion about this, I've made that error so many times before, and it leads to absolutely nothing else than some religious people / defenders of religion being angry at me for being so bold and "disrespectful". I wish religion could be discussed, but it can't.

the ability to back up your statement has nothing to do with the topic -- it in fact encourages people to talk and understand where the other party is coming from. i keep asking for studies and evidence because i want to understand both sides. i don't really care about the religious aspect of this thread. it would be totally sweet if we could talk about religion without personal bias which your initial statement is full of. have you done any research to back up your claim? can you prove religious people are "living a lie"?

to clarify, i am not religious at all. i chose "No" on this poll. the goal of my questions was to start a real discussion, but perhaps the divide between us (the internet) masks our ability to understand each others intentions. oh well. :rolleyes2:

Don't act stupider than you are. We both know that there is no evidence for or against a god, for example. If I could support myself on facts, I would, trust me. If you are looking for specific studies on specific subjects, I think you can find most of it on the internet through google. I didn't say you were religious, did I? I wrote religious people / defenders of religion, and I do make the assumption that you defend religion. If you don't, then fine. I'm glad we got that out of the way.

Latest posts

Back